Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Slightly Different Topic.....Input Welcome

Slightly Different Topic.....Input Welcome

Old Feb 17th 2009, 9:53 pm
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Slightly Different Topic.....Input Welcome

Dont get me started on todays parents and cooking!

I will freely admit to liking the odd ready meal when i am overly tired or in a hurry, but much prefer home cooking.

Daughter number 2 i wont even mention right now as she is sooooooooo in my bad books at the moment (long story too cross to write it lol)

But daughter number 1 was messaging me last week complaining that my 19mth old grandaughter is refusing to eat vegetables. It hadnt dawned on her to get a blender and puree them into a sort of gravy so whe doesnt "see" them It has become a bit of a game for her now. She knows it annoys mum, so she does it even more. Picks every piece of veg out of her food and slings it on the floor. Just wait till nannys back i say!!
Old Feb 18th 2009, 12:07 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
Dont get me started on todays parents and cooking!

I will freely admit to liking the odd ready meal when i am overly tired or in a hurry, but much prefer home cooking.

Daughter number 2 i wont even mention right now as she is sooooooooo in my bad books at the moment (long story too cross to write it lol)

But daughter number 1 was messaging me last week complaining that my 19mth old grandaughter is refusing to eat vegetables. It hadnt dawned on her to get a blender and puree them into a sort of gravy so whe doesnt "see" them It has become a bit of a game for her now. She knows it annoys mum, so she does it even more. Picks every piece of veg out of her food and slings it on the floor. Just wait till nannys back i say!!

Do you want the recipe for my curried veggie patties? If you any mixture left over, you can make cornish pasties.
Old Feb 18th 2009, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute3 go mad in Adelaide has a reputation beyond repute

Following on from the 'mashed potato' thing - what about sweet potato mash? kids particularly enjoy it ('cos it's sweet!) and it's even easier than normal mash as you don't have to peel and boil them (as sweet potatoes tend to go very watery and lose their flavour). Just bung 'em in the oven whole and roast til soft, slit them down the middle, scoop out the flesh and mash with some butter, salt and plenty of black pepper

My family also love a big pan of roast veggies in the winter - things like sweet potato (again!), normal potato, red onion, parsnip, pumpkin, carrot, etc work really well (remember, some things need to be chopped smaller than others, as cooking times vary) I also put whole garlic cloves in mine, as once they have been slow cooked for a couple of hours they become very soft and sweet (and they lose their pong! ) a bit of olive oil, maybe some rosemary (mmmm!) salt and pepper, bung it in the oven for a couple of hours and job done, serve with a nice bit of lamb preferably!!!

I would also say good storecupboard ingredients include flour (s/r, plain and corn) for baking, thickening and coating (cornflour especially good for 'velveting') polenta (as a side dish, also for a crispy coating and for 'binding' - I use it in my chilli corn fritters - yum!). Cans of tomatos for speedy tomato sauces, which can then be used for bolognese, lasange, chilli, even soups.

Oh, one last one - if you cook too much rice (as I frequently do!) leave til cold and fridge. Use it to make egg fried rice another day (egg fried rice can only really be made with cold rice anyway!).

Dunno if any of this helps Cricket, but hope so

(BTW I've always actually been a better cook than my own mum!)
Old Feb 18th 2009, 1:30 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 3 go mad in Adelaide
Following on from the 'mashed potato' thing - what about sweet potato mash? kids particularly enjoy it ('cos it's sweet!) and it's even easier than normal mash as you don't have to peel and boil them (as sweet potatoes tend to go very watery and lose their flavour). Just bung 'em in the oven whole and roast til soft, slit them down the middle, scoop out the flesh and mash with some butter, salt and plenty of black pepper

My family also love a big pan of roast veggies in the winter - things like sweet potato (again!), normal potato, red onion, parsnip, pumpkin, carrot, etc work really well (remember, some things need to be chopped smaller than others, as cooking times vary) I also put whole garlic cloves in mine, as once they have been slow cooked for a couple of hours they become very soft and sweet (and they lose their pong! ) a bit of olive oil, maybe some rosemary (mmmm!) salt and pepper, bung it in the oven for a couple of hours and job done, serve with a nice bit of lamb preferably!!!

I would also say good storecupboard ingredients include flour (s/r, plain and corn) for baking, thickening and coating (cornflour especially good for 'velveting') polenta (as a side dish, also for a crispy coating and for 'binding' - I use it in my chilli corn fritters - yum!). Cans of tomatos for speedy tomato sauces, which can then be used for bolognese, lasange, chilli, even soups.

Oh, one last one - if you cook too much rice (as I frequently do!) leave til cold and fridge. Use it to make egg fried rice another day (egg fried rice can only really be made with cold rice anyway!).

Dunno if any of this helps Cricket, but hope so

(BTW I've always actually been a better cook than my own mum!)
Actually pumpkin and sweet potato are packed with vitamin A and are regarded as being better than potato nutritionally so great for anyone. I often mash potato and pumpkin together for topping sheperds pie and yes, I also add garlic.

Here's my recipe for feta and pumpkin quiche.... it was one of thos accident meals when I hadn't anything for dinner so I threw it all together. I love this mostly because of the caramelised pumpkin flavour.

First, slice up a pumpkin, take the seeds out, but leave the skin on. Then place on a oiled baking tray and spray lightly with oil spray. Bake it for about 10 minutes, take it out of the oven then drizzle maple syrup across the pumpkin turning it over to coat all sides.
Once it's cooked and cooled, remove the skin, then just cover and leave it in the fridge.

Take a sheet of frozen puff pastry and line a flan dish. Sprinkle a packet of feta cheese into the base and add the roughly chopped pumpkin. Whisk 4 large free range eggs together with half a carton of cream (you might need a little more to fill up the dish). Add sea salt, black pepper and 2 cloves fresh crushed garlic. Pour over cheese and maple roasted pumpkin. Then sprinkle ground fresh parmesan cheese across the top and bake till golden and the egg custard is set.

Takes about 30 minutes from start to on the table. I usually cook loads of pumpkin ready to use in other dishes too. It's nice with rocket, feta and pine nuts in a salad.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 3:38 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to say about the potato skins. I think when fancy restaurants have "smashed potatoes" that's what they are. Cooked with the skins on.

Then, of course, there's baked potato skins. Yum.

Yes, it's a shame that people aren't taught how easy it is to eat well and cheaply. It doesn't take a lot of time or knowledge. Just being shown.

Go for it Cricket. But remember to lay out easy steps. It's amazing what people don't know. I remember one girl who didn't know how to crack an egg. She'd come from a very privileged background and had never seen it done, so after some tentative taps, she sort of smashed it!

I'm not mocking, because when we were first in Nova Scotia, I had no idea how to crack a lobster. But people just need showing.

Bev
Old Feb 19th 2009, 4:21 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1
Do you want the recipe for my curried veggie patties? If you any mixture left over, you can make cornish pasties.
oooh yes please, although i wont be giving beastie girl any curry lol
Old Feb 19th 2009, 4:54 am
Banned

oooh yes please, although i wont be giving beastie girl any curry lol
Ok, well here's what I do but you can add your own ideas. Boil a pan of potatoes, sweet potato, carrot and pumpkin till just soft enough to mash together so that it's quite stiff. Don't add milk or butter.
Also cook in a seperate pan, some finely chopped cabbage, drain and add to the mash.
Add finely chopped spring onion, garlic, frozen peas and frozen corn kernels, salt, pepper, sprinkling of parmesan cheese and then add 2 tsps of curry powder. Mix it all together and taste to make sure the seasoning is enough.

You can add a beaten egg to help bind it altogether.

Take handfuls and flatten, dip in beaten egg, then seasoned flour then shallow fry in peanut oil or similar until golden.
If you make extra mixture, you can roll out some puff pastry and make yummy cornish pasties.
Old Feb 19th 2009, 5:10 am
I don't give a damn

Ok, well here's what I do but you can add your own ideas. Boil a pan of potatoes, sweet potato, carrot and pumpkin till just soft enough to mash together so that it's quite stiff. Don't add milk or butter.
Also cook in a seperate pan, some finely chopped cabbage, drain and add to the mash.
Add finely chopped spring onion, garlic, frozen peas and frozen corn kernels, salt, pepper, sprinkling of parmesan cheese and then add 2 tsps of curry powder. Mix it all together and taste to make sure the seasoning is enough.

You can add a beaten egg to help bind it altogether.

Take handfuls and flatten, dip in beaten egg, then seasoned flour then shallow fry in peanut oil or similar until golden.
If you make extra mixture, you can roll out some puff pastry and make yummy cornish pasties.
Great, i'll give it a go thanks.

I might even try blending the veg up really fine and make them without curry in and see if little beastie girlie will be duped into eating veg by not knowing its in there
Old Feb 19th 2009, 5:16 am
Banned

Great, i'll give it a go thanks.

I might even try blending the veg up really fine and make them without curry in and see if little beastie girlie will be duped into eating veg by not knowing its in there
You could decorate them with little spikes of red hot chillie peppers to make it look like horns. That'll sort the little tike out.

Ooops, I'd better shut up or the I'll be carted off by the SS (social services).
Old Feb 25th 2009, 10:31 am
Just Joined

margaret333 is an unknown quantity at this point

Really like the sound of that recipe cricket I will give it a try. We always eat freshly cooked food never ready meals but we both enjoy cooking so that helps.
Old Feb 28th 2009, 10:39 pm
Forum Regular

storms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant futurestorms has a brilliant future

Hi, as a busy working mom, here is a tip for your book

When I buy my fresh veg, especially the greens, I prepare them all, chop dice etc and place in separate containers in the fridge, then when I come in I just place as much veg into pots and turn on, the only thing I prepare daily is the potato. (However if I have the time in the morning, I prepare them and leave them covered in water in the fridge)

This way I never feel to tired or lazy to chop the cabbage or carrots. One day of preparation lasts most of the week.

Bj
Old Mar 1st 2009, 11:40 am
BE Enthusiast

backagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond reputebackagen has a reputation beyond repute

I'm no expert on the subject, but in case they're any use here's some tips off the top of my head.

1. Buy plenty of decent quality reusable plastic storage containers of various sizes. That way you can store unused food and it will last longer.

2. Include the basics of how to cook the most common types of meat so they will be tender and moist.

3. Include basic food safety tips because this is something they don't teach very well at most schools to my knowledge, but it is a basic life skill that everyone needs to know, but an awful lot of people don't. As a minimum, include things like correct storage of different items in the refrigerator, minimum cooking temperatures / times for certain items, special care needed with raw chicken and minced beef, how to properly clean and dry utensils safely, and the meaning of "use by" and "best before" dates and how important they are with different types of food.

4. Obviously as you already hinted earlier, keeping plenty of supplies of the basics in the kitchen (sugar, salt, pepper, flour, rice, dried pasta, bread, dried fruit, herbs and spices, milk, butter etc)
Old Mar 1st 2009, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Kath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond reputeKath & Graham has a reputation beyond repute

As I sit here killing time and getting more and more restless waiting to go home, I'm fulfilling one of my ambitions. I'm writing a new cook book for busy mums explaining how to shop, plan meals by the week, write shopping lists, stock up a larder (explain that a larder is a cupboard not a car made in Russia), how to use a chest freezer, and how to plan ahead, etc, etc
The purpose being how to feed a family on the run and not have to take out a second mortgage.

I love cooking so writing a book to help mums feed their kids healthy food that doesn't cost a fortune, is an ambition coming true.

If anyone wants to contribute any tips or ideas, feel free.
Can I have one of those books please? Im forever on the run with kids work and aged father I need some good tips pleeezee

Mine like jacket potatoes with cheese and beans LOL!!! I could do wth ideas for packet lunches !!!! Mushy sandwiches dont go down well with my lot
Old Mar 3rd 2009, 1:21 am
Banned

Thanks for all the tips and ideas everyone. Might have to put the book on hold for a while as a project just out of the blue has come up. They say if you wait long enough, opportunities are like buses. You either get none or three come at once.
Well three just came in so I'll have to decide which one to go with first.
Life just took on a new dimension. All positive though.

Thanks again.