Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Sleep Number Bed/converter

Wikiposts

Sleep Number Bed/converter

Old Jun 28th 2012, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sleep Number Bed/converter

Hello,

So I REALLY want to take my sleep number bed with me. It's the first bed that I'm actually able to sleep thru the night in.

But obviously it has a power cord Has anyone had any success with a step down/up converter? The ones that are fused not the junky ones they sell at the airport.

I read someone's blog on google who had taken her bed to Venice. At the time of her last posting (2010) she was using a MINWA 300w converter with her bed and claimed every thing was great.

Any thoughts?
Old Jun 28th 2012, 2:29 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sleep Number Bed/converter

Have you looked on the bed where the cord comes out or where it adjusts, it should say the voltage. If it says 110-240 or something like that, like other electricals do it should be fine. Dh has been checking his expensive garage toys to see what he's bringing. So far there are quite a few that he can take and use in UK.
Old Jun 28th 2012, 2:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

I will get my husband to do that cause I think there are a few spiders back there!!!!! Thanks!
Old Jun 29th 2012, 6:36 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Have you looked on the bed where the cord comes out or where it adjusts, it should say the voltage. If it says 110-240 or something like that, like other electricals do it should be fine. Dh has been checking his expensive garage toys to see what he's bringing. So far there are quite a few that he can take and use in UK.
I think the frequency is also important - think it needs to be between 50-60 Hz ... I have used a transformer successfully before, but not for a bed.

But seriously, I think a lot depends on what sort of motor it is - I think that appliances lilke vacuum cleaners are a lot more dodgy/less successful when transferring to the UK electrical system (and vice versa).
Old Jun 30th 2012, 12:05 am
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

We have a number of things using transformers, but they're all light users such as monitors and computers. I understand you can get bigger tranformers for higher load, but they cost a lot more, so it's whether it's worth it to you.

Bev
Old Jun 30th 2012, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks Bev. It looks like the transformer will be about £80 which is fine. It looks like a brick but will not be seen so everything should be good!!!
Old Jun 30th 2012, 11:39 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute

Remember that mattress sizes are different over here, so if you use fitted sheets you might want to bring a supply of them!

Bev
Old Jul 1st 2012, 4:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Already thought of that!!!! Will be buying a few new sets before we leave and shipping them. I visit NYC once a year so I can always buy more if needed!!! Although I think the UK King is similar to the US Queen (obviously not a perfect match)
Old Jun 13th 2013, 8:36 am
Just Joined

kate178 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hiya Britwhore (it feels so wrong calling you that)!!
PLEASE tell me if your sleep number bed did work in Blighty!!
I am wanting to do the same this year and really need to find a solution!

Many thanks
Old Jun 13th 2013, 9:09 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I think the frequency is also important - think it needs to be between 50-60 Hz .....
Almost all mains power around the world is either 50Hz or 60Hz, and motors are typically designated for one or the other, though some may be configured to work with eolither. Motors under heavy load or that are speed-critical are most likely to give you a problem. Assuming the sleep number bed fan motor was designed for 60Hz but is reasonably robust and not running under heavy load it will likely run OK, but the risk is that in running at 50Hz, slower than designed, it may overheat so it could be a fire risk. Though presumably it only runs for a period of seconds up to a minute or two, so even in the "worst case scenario" the risk shouldn't be great.

If you need a transformer look on line, and buy one with ample power handling capability- I'd look for one rated for at least twice the wattage of the motor, up to as much as three times. When you're not using a transformer be sure to turn it off as it may draw power even when not being used to power anything.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jun 13th 2013 at 9:13 am.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 9:16 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bevm
We have a number of things using transformers, but they're all light users such as monitors and computers. I understand you can get bigger tranformers for higher load, but they cost a lot more, so it's whether it's worth it to you.

Bev
You should check the details panels of your computers and monitors because those are some of the electronics that are most likely to be rated 100v-250v, and therefore not need a transformer.
Old Jun 13th 2013, 9:49 am
BE Enthusiast

We got a pretty big transformer - it looks like a brick!!! Everything works fine
Old Jun 15th 2013, 4:52 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

I am thinking of taking my Kitchen Aid food mixer and Cuisinart food processer to the UK. They are old but in first-class condition and when I priced them in the UK I was astonished how much it would cost to replace them. Only drawback is they probably won't run without a transformer. I don't think they make dual voltage kitchen appliances.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 5:03 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by windsong
I am thinking of taking my Kitchen Aid food mixer and Cuisinart food processer to the UK. They are old but in first-class condition and when I priced them in the UK I was astonished how much it would cost to replace them. Only drawback is they probably won't run without a transformer. I don't think they make dual voltage kitchen appliances.
I have lost count of the number of times I have used US electrical items in the UK using a voltage convertor and they have burnt out.
Old Jun 15th 2013, 5:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Sleep Comfort has air pumps that run at 110/220v for their global beds. I'm not sure if Sleep Number also provides such pumps but it may be worth it to call them to see if you can get a replacement pump that runs at 220v instead of using a transformer.

I suspect everything else is run at a low DC voltage that will be converted to the correct voltage just like a laptop that can run on 110v-220v.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.