Skilled Worker Visa

Old Feb 14th 2024, 1:57 pm
Just Joined

Kate_Onianwa is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Skilled Worker Visa

Dear All,

I am Nigerian and came to the UK to do my masters in Law at the University of Southampton in 2021 and my husband and two children came with me as my depandants. After my masters, I applied for a Graduate visa and had my husband and children as my depandants. I currently work for the University of Southampton and they have just issued to me a Certificate of Sponsorship.

I have started filling out my Skilled Worker Application online, but I'm not sure about the correct answers to two questions in the Skilled Worker Visa Application form that is unclear to me.

I plan to apply as the main applicant first, and then my husband and two children will apply afterwards, most likely after my visa has been granted/issued. My husband and two children are currently in the UK and have been my dependants.

The first question is:

Linking Code for family members

Will any other family members be applying to come to the UK? Yes or No

If I select Yes, the next question is:

Have any other family members started their application?

Note – We will usually consider the family group together. Your application may not be decided until all family members who are applying to come to the UK have applied.

I have selected No, because firstly, my dependants are in the UK and secondly I intend to apply and obtain my visa and then commence their applications as my dependants.

The second question is:

People applying with you

Are your partner or children applying with you? Yes or No

Note - If you are applying as part of a group or family, each person including children will need to complete an individual application form

I have selected Yes because they will do so though not now but shortly after I have my visa issued. When I selected Yes, I was asked to fill in their details – full names, date of birth, passport number etc. But I am not sure if it is No, because they are not applying with me now.

Can you please confirm if I'm on the right track or advise me whether the appropriate answer to both questions is No and not No and Yes?

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Kind regards,

Kate

Old Feb 14th 2024, 3:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Skilled Worker Visa

I would have thought you do not have the option of your family applying afterwards i.e when you have obtained the Skilled Worker visa.
Once you have your Skilled worker visa your Graduate visa would be invalid and they would not have a valid status in the UK.
I would suggest you apply for yourself and family at same time for the Skilled Worker visa

(IF not applying at same time then you input NO to question, Are your partner or children applying with you)
Old Feb 14th 2024, 4:36 pm
Forum Regular

Sjm417 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
I would have thought you do not have the option of your family applying afterwards i.e when you have obtained the Skilled Worker visa.
Once you have your Skilled worker visa your Graduate visa would be invalid and they would not have a valid status in the UK.
I would suggest you apply for yourself and family at same time for the Skilled Worker visa

(IF not applying at same time then you input NO to question, Are your partner or children applying with you)
According to gov.uk your dependents don’t need to switch at the same time as you and they can wait until before the expiry of their current visa:

”You might be able to apply to change (‘switch’) to a Skilled Worker visa if you’re already in the UK on a different type of visa.Your partner or child’s visa will not automatically switch to this visa if you switch yours. If they do not switch their visa, it will be valid until its original end date.

They can either apply at the same time as you, or at any time before their current visa expires.”
Old Feb 14th 2024, 4:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl

Thank you so much, this is super useful. Kind regards, Kate.
Old Feb 14th 2024, 5:48 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

When do your family’s Dependant visas expire? How long is your Certificate of Sponsorship going to be for?
Old Feb 14th 2024, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Hi BritInParis,

Thank you for the prompt response.

My Family Dependant visa expires on the 13th of January 2025 and my COS is for 5 years.

Please let me know if you require any further information.

Kind regards,

Kate

Old Feb 14th 2024, 8:19 pm
Just Joined

Dear Sjm417,

Thank you so much for this clarification.

Kind regards,

Kate