Sidmouth anyone?

Old Apr 18th 2018, 7:54 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute
Default Sidmouth anyone?

We have finally got our house on the market and plan our move to either SW Dorset or East Devon. Bridport was the preferred town but after looking at forums and doing some research it seems to be changing. Quite a drug problem there. They are even now opening a McDonalds! We are now looking at Sidmouth. I believe according to stats that nearly 50% of residents are over the age of 60 so that would suit us. Anyone know the area well and can give some tips of where to avoid purchasing a house? Looking for a bungalow in nice leafy street with views and other retirees alongside!
Old Apr 18th 2018, 9:58 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sidmouth anyone?

Can only say that Sidmouth is a lovely little place. I think the tea room on an upper floor of a quaint department store is still there and like going back in time.

Gets a bit busy with tourists and there's a big folk festival every year.

I like Bridport but I've heard about a drug problem there. Why not West Bay (or Broadchurch as it's now known from TV ) and pop into Bridport when needed?
Old Apr 19th 2018, 11:11 am
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

Hi we did look at West Bay and our preferred place is Bothenhampton if we chose Bridport due to being able to walk to shops. Bus services are not good in Bridport and close proximity to Exeter Airport and bus terminal is swinging it for Sidmouth. We like old fashioned values and tea rooms etc. Also West Bay is hectic in summer and has anti-social behaviour. Checking out forums it seems that the older population in Sidmouth are a lot more driven to keep their town the way it is and are very active in community. Downside is houses are more expensive for what we are looking at.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 7:49 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
...it seems that the older population in Sidmouth are a lot more driven to keep their town the way it is and are very active in community. Downside is houses are more expensive for what we are looking at.
I don't recall if it's chips or ice cream but I remember one of them was not supposed to be eaten on the sea front.

Lots of nice places between Sidmouth and Teignmouth, the latter was a favourite place for weekends away - train from Bristol. Quite like Bude too on the North Coast.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

I have just booked a 4 night stay between Exeter and Sidmouth later in month so we can check it out! Thanks for your input.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 9:10 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I have just booked a 4 night stay between Exeter and Sidmouth later in month so we can check it out! Thanks for your input.
Let us know how you find it.
I live in everlasting hope of getting home (SW England) one day.
Old Apr 19th 2018, 9:44 pm
Oscar nominated

Originally Posted by BEVS
I live in everlasting hope of getting home (SW England) one day.
One of the things missed about living in the UK has always been the proximity to Europe.

But there's more, isn't there. I'm now remembering overtime weekends at Bournemouth, and fun weekends at Teignmouth and Dawlish.

Love the train journey between Starcross and Teignmouth.

Old Apr 20th 2018, 1:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

what a wonderful trip!
Old Apr 21st 2018, 7:50 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

I stayed in Sidmouth for a few nights several years ago, one day I walked Sidmouth - Budleigh Salterton - Exmouth, then took the bus back to Sidmouth. Beautiful walk, both Sidmouth and Budleigh Salterton seem very pleasant. I don't know how good the bus service from Sidmouth to Exeter is, though..
Old Apr 21st 2018, 7:56 am
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

what a wonderful trip!
That is a great stretch of line. We stayed in Exeter for a week in 2013 and one of the things we did was hire cycles and ride the cycle paths that run along that same stretch down to Dawlish. The weather was great, lunch at Dawlish and on the way back we stopped for a bite to eat at a pub right on the water.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 1:28 am
Forum Regular

rushie10 is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived there for a couple of years. Avoid the Manstone area (which is around the football club), also the area up on the hill by Waitrose wasn't that great. It's really a great place to live though, do it if you can.
Old Apr 27th 2018, 6:39 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by rushie10
I lived there for a couple of years. Avoid the Manstone area (which is around the football club), also the area up on the hill by Waitrose wasn't that great. It's really a great place to live though, do it if you can.
Thanks this is the info I wish to get. We have seen nice houses in Higher Woolbrook, Balfours and then down near Malden Road. All bungalows. Are those areas ok?
Old Apr 27th 2018, 6:41 am
BE Forum Addict

The market at the moment is very flat and we may be in for a long wait!
Old Apr 27th 2018, 2:00 pm
Forum Regular

rushie10 is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes, they're all good. There are nicer parts of Sidmouth closer to the water but these certainly aren't rough areas. Malden Road is near the community college so you might here children noises if that's a bother. It's also right near a really nice area called the Byes, this is a nice walk alongside the fields and river that takes you from one end of the town right down to the sea.

All of these places would be at least a 20m walk from the main town center which is down by the sea.
Old May 6th 2018, 8:18 pm
Oscar nominated

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...engine-failure

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.