Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Should I stop using this forum?

Should I stop using this forum?

Old Aug 31st 2010, 11:36 am
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I stop using this forum?

Originally Posted by backhomeagain
Humour is like a good bottle of Baileys, always manages to put a smile on my face )

A few things we will be taking back to the UK will be the ability to make shots now. Never done that before. Imagine getting spannered on a dozen chocolate cake shots and a few dozen slippery nipples, rounding the evening off with a couple of apple pies.

And of course nothing beats about a 100 chicken wings in good old Franks red hot sauce to get the old sphinctar muscled wobbling!!

I cant wait to try these out on our friends
Good luck with your slippery nipples
Old Aug 31st 2010, 12:21 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lorry1
Good luck with your slippery nipples
I think more luck is probably needed with the sore head this morning. Occasionally following someone getting blootered over a series of posts is one of the joys of being on BE.
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 7:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tdib
Heh heh.

My son's football team played against East Fremantle last week at their ground. They play in the colours of the Italian flag (a red,white & green strip), the corner flags on the pitch are mini Italian flags, the coach is Italian and most of the kids seem to be called Gianni,Luca, Franco etc...

Now that's assimilation !
Small world our oldest played for Perth Reserves and 1st team....they also play in the Italian colours....the main "board" was made up of 99.9% Italians, pre match food was pasta, pasta and more pasta...and also anytime Italy played ..yes even against Australia....well the place was packed with 99.9% of various generations of Italian migrants supporting Italy....oh and all the coaches bar one were Italian decent....lol...
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 7:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
I don't think people are "blaming" the site for making them depressed any more than other people are saying the site "makes" them happy. I think the point is that when you are in a certain state, certain exposures can worsen how you feel. A simple analogy would be exposure to certain people. When you are in a bad mood, your best mate might help lift you out of it, whereas your other mate might just drag you down further.

I can't see any posts that indicate people "begrudging" you being happy for reading this site either.

To be sure, there are some people who look for other things to blame for their situation (psychologists call it "external attribution"), but to imply that depressed people should stop blaming this site and change themselves sounds a bit too much like the "Just snap out of it" response of the 60's. Understanding of mental health has come a long way since then.

Live and let live ...
Urm I thought that was what I wrote?....I know all to well about depression....it's my line of work...so as I have always said...."whatever floats your boat...(legally ofcourse).... to get you through a day"...then do it......
Old Sep 2nd 2010, 9:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brits1
Urm I thought that was what I wrote?....I know all to well about depression....it's my line of work...so as I have always said...."whatever floats your boat...(legally ofcourse).... to get you through a day"...then do it......
What do you mean by "that"? I made about 5 different points in my message. Some of what you said was in direct contrast to some of the points I was making.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:46 am
Forum Regular

LisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really niceLisaP is just really nice

This is a very interesting thread. When I first discovered this forum it galvanised me into action about moving home; made me feel Not Alone and Not Mad.

But, if I was unable to move home, for whatever reason, MBTTUK would make me feel very sad. Better really to hook up to one of those IP providers so you can watch some British TV, which probably has a greater chance of making one feel positive, rather than just bereft.
Old Sep 8th 2010, 3:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

What do you mean by "that"? I made about 5 different points in my message. Some of what you said was in direct contrast to some of the points I was making.
"That"...sorry you have lost me (some would say that's not hard) on this one..the original thread stated...."the OH said coming on Expats MBTUK was a cause of the depression" and all I said was in so many words..."do what she needs to do to get by"...end of story....
Old Sep 8th 2010, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

backhomeagain will become famous soon enough

Hy guys
Seeing whats being said on here, I would like to suggest we keep the comments more up beat rather than poking each other in the ribs on whats been said or what hasnt for that matter. I joined up last year and saw exactly the same thing happen, I even got banned for 12 weeks for voicing my side of things!! I came back on two weeks ago and now I try to help people going back to the UK instead of just getting verbally mad!!

There are pro's and con's about Canada and one of the things I will not miss is the Bacon! 1" wide and 4" long, mostly fat, eeewww! In the UK I shall look forward to a nice juicy real egg 'n' bacon sarnie! So far I havent even seen Muller yoghurt/rice or Walkers crisps or even pork scratchings let alone some Haywards piccalilli. Carefull of the British food shops, a lot of the stuff is past the sell by date. On the other hand where in the UK can you buy a 2" high steak and would fill your plate for $10?
Old Sep 8th 2010, 4:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by backhomeagain
Hy guys
Seeing whats being said on here, I would like to suggest we keep the comments more up beat rather than poking each other in the ribs on whats been said or what hasnt for that matter. I joined up last year and saw exactly the same thing happen, I even got banned for 12 weeks for voicing my side of things!! I came back on two weeks ago and now I try to help people going back to the UK instead of just getting verbally mad!!

There are pro's and con's about Canada and one of the things I will not miss is the Bacon! 1" wide and 4" long, mostly fat, eeewww! In the UK I shall look forward to a nice juicy real egg 'n' bacon sarnie! So far I havent even seen Muller yoghurt/rice or Walkers crisps or even pork scratchings let alone some Haywards piccalilli. Carefull of the British food shops, a lot of the stuff is past the sell by date. On the other hand where in the UK can you buy a 2" high steak and would fill your plate for $10?
lol...a friend of mine who still lives in Aus and has done for many years said to me not long after our first meeting..."I'd kill for decent bacon...it's looks great here but taste's of nothing, if you have family coming over can you ask them t bring bacon, walker cheese and onion crisps, toffee crisp bars" (her list went on for about an hour..lol)..me being a new arrival thought her a bit barmy..lol...but after being "back home" for a few months now...wow...bacon here...well I am going to have to ban myself from it....bacon sarnies....big breakfast's....oh my hips....and I have to wear blinkers when I walk past the "sweetie" section.....walkers oven roasted cheese and Onion crisps....cor blimey...they are just delicious....by the end of the year if I carry on like I am....I am going to be rolling everywhere.....lol...
Old Sep 8th 2010, 4:38 pm
Forum Regular

backhomeagain will become famous soon enough

Yeah - but, you will be happy!!!!
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:50 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute

lol...a friend of mine who still lives in Aus and has done for many years said to me not long after our first meeting..."I'd kill for decent bacon...it's looks great here but taste's of nothing, if you have family coming over can you ask them t bring bacon, walker cheese and onion crisps, toffee crisp bars" (her list went on for about an hour..lol)..me being a new arrival thought her a bit barmy..lol...but after being "back home" for a few months now...wow...bacon here...well I am going to have to ban myself from it....bacon sarnies....big breakfast's....oh my hips....and I have to wear blinkers when I walk past the "sweetie" section.....walkers oven roasted cheese and Onion crisps....cor blimey...they are just delicious....by the end of the year if I carry on like I am....I am going to be rolling everywhere.....lol...

You definately take things for granted when you live there. When I went back for a week, I walked into Tesco and stood in the chocolate/sweetie isle for 15 minutes...drooling The whole isle was dedicated to chocolate and sweets , you just don't get that amount on display here!
Old Sep 8th 2010, 6:53 pm
Ping-ponger

"That"...sorry you have lost me (some would say that's not hard) on this one..the original thread stated...."the OH said coming on Expats MBTUK was a cause of the depression" and all I said was in so many words..."do what she needs to do to get by"...end of story....
In your original thread you said (quote), "depression usually comes from "how you are feeling yourself"....to blame web sites etc is just another easy option " - I just find this a simplistic and insensitive statement.

The point in my post was that no-one was blaming the site for their depression (the OP's husband made some similar comment), so you saying "That's what I said" is the contradiction I was referring to (see italics, above)

I hope that's clearer.

I see the thread topic is now Canadian bacon and Tesco's, so this post is probably off-topic ...

Last edited by dunroving; Sep 8th 2010 at 7:47 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2010, 4:22 pm
-------------------------

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

OH says I should stop coming on this forum, particularly the MBTTUK section as it's making me depressed.
I come on this forum to get that laugh and meet others in the same situation. This forum just 'makes my day' sometimes with the humour.
Yeah bu@@er off!

Just kidding!
Old Sep 12th 2010, 4:23 pm

paranoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond reputeparanoidandroid has a reputation beyond repute

You definately take things for granted when you live there. When I went back for a week, I walked into Tesco and stood in the chocolate/sweetie isle for 15 minutes...drooling The whole isle was dedicated to chocolate and sweets , you just don't get that amount on display here!
Kind of good for the figure though, isn't it?
Now where's that Dunkin Donut that I was chewing on?
Old Sep 12th 2010, 4:28 pm

I think more luck is probably needed with the sore head this morning. Occasionally following someone getting blootered over a series of posts is one of the joys of being on BE.
Well we don't blame you for that, afterall, the nights are long in Scotland, and there's very little else to do.....

(yes it's obvious, otherwise why would all those distilleries be there?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.