Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

should I stay or should I go....now??

should I stay or should I go....now??

Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:12 am
Just Joined

britcanuck6 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default should I stay or should I go....now??

Hello, any advice would be appreciated, here's my situation;

I've been home now for about 8 months and still no luck finding a job and I mean any job. I'm a skilled professional but as time went on I realised how bad things were here recession-wise so you name it and I've applied for it e.g. postman, supermarket checkout, security, etc. Now I've been offered a job back in America and I'm not sure what to do....I dont want to go back but at the same time it would raise some much needed cash??? Help
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:25 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: should I stay or should I go....now??

Originally Posted by britcanuck6

I've been home now for about 8 months and still no luck finding a job and I mean any job. I'm a skilled professional but as time went on I realised how bad things were here recession-wise so you name it and I've applied for it e.g. postman, supermarket checkout, security, etc. Now I've been offered a job back in America and I'm not sure what to do....I dont want to go back but at the same time it would raise some much needed cash??? Help
surely this is a decision only you can make, anyone answering on here doesn't know your full circumstances, so you will get replies giving both sides. In the end it's what you WANT and think is BEST for you.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 10:37 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by britcanuck6

If you are desparate for decent employment, take it. If not, then don't. Seems a simple choice to me, not much different than if there was a job offer in Cornwall, or Paris, or somewhere else other than where you currently are.

You don't want to be jobless. You don't want to go back to the US. Needs must - which is more important to you, having work, or living where you are? After a while, you can always come back (and you can always apply for UK jobs while you are over there).

Other than that, as the previous post says, only you know the answer.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 3:03 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Have you tried temp agencies, my son did well using them until he got his job.
I really don't see the point in using thousands of £ to move yourself back to US, the cost of tickets, deposit on a flat getting rid of stuff and buying more, is the equivalent of many moths of living expenses in the UK.
Have you tailored your CV and cover letter to each particular job, are you looking nationwide? (it's cheaper to move within UK than to another country)
http://www.cv-library.co.uk/
http://jobseekers.direct.gov.uk/home...ed714eb7&pid=1
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 4:15 pm
BE Enthusiast

MartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond reputeMartynK has a reputation beyond repute

This obviously isn't a straightforward decision for you, but there are just too many unknowns for anyone else to offer meaningful advice. For example: Why did you leave the US? What age are you? What do you do for a living? Do you have a family to consider? How critical is your financial position? I don't expect you to answer these questions, they're personal, just think about them? After all, you are the one who has to make the decision.

My own situation is different, but I'll summarise it so that you understand where I'm coming from. I was born and grew up in the UK, but I'm South African on my mother's side and lived in SA for 30 years. I came back to the UK in 2010 because my wife had returned, for personal reasons, and wanted me to join her. This hasn't worked out very well because I don't enjoy living in this country at all, for a number of reasons, and we will be going 'home' again in a few months.

Now, if I were in your position, I'd be inclined to take the position in the US unless you have strong reasons not to. Go back, regroup, and rebuild your finances. You can always think about returning to the UK in the future, and do some forward planning from a stronger position. If this isn't an option for you, and you're not getting anywhere with job searches, do you have skills that would let you start your own business?

Good luck.
Old Sep 22nd 2012, 4:27 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MartynK
This obviously isn't a straightforward decision for you, but there are just too many unknowns for anyone else to offer meaningful advice. For example: Why did you leave the US? What age are you? What do you do for a living? Do you have a family to consider? How critical is your financial position? I don't expect you to answer these questions, they're personal, just think about them? After all, you are the one who has to make the decision.

My own situation is different, but I'll summarise it so that you understand where I'm coming from. I was born and grew up in the UK, but I'm South African on my mother's side and lived in SA for 30 years. I came back to the UK in 2010 because my wife had returned, for personal reasons, and wanted me to join her. This hasn't worked out very well because I don't enjoy living in this country at all, for a number of reasons, and we will be going 'home' again in a few months.

Now, if I were in your position, I'd be inclined to take the position in the US unless you have strong reasons not to. Go back, regroup, and rebuild your finances. You can always think about returning to the UK in the future, and do some forward planning from a stronger position. If this isn't an option for you, and you're not getting anywhere with job searches, do you have skills that would let you start your own business?

Good luck.
Another unkown factor that's not explained in the OP is whether the new job comes with a relocation package and/or what are the logistics of the relocation (lock stock and barrel, or a couple of suitcases?) Is there a house to sell? Car to sell? I'd agree with Mummy's post, except it assumes a "major" relocation (cost-wise and logistics-wise), whereas this may not be the case.

As with a lot of these posts, we have to be mind-readers in order to give any meaningful advice. There seem to be an increasing number of posts here that ask us to tell the OP what decision to make (Where should I live? What should I do?) with minimal information to go on.

OP, don't take offence, but you're not really helping us to help you (maybe help isn't what you want; maybe you just want to vent, I don't know ...)