Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping vs storage on UK test run?

Shipping vs storage on UK test run?

Old Sep 25th 2012, 2:19 am
Not actually a squirrel

brissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond reputebrissybee has a reputation beyond repute
Default Shipping vs storage on UK test run?

I'm wondering if anyone has ever compared the cost of storage for a houseful of stuff in Australia vs the cost of shipping it to the UK?

In planning a test run to the UK in about 18 months time, I have discovered the storage costs could be quite high... and then we'll get to the UK and have to find/borrow/replace things.

I know shipping isn't cheap, but wonder if anyone has actually done the shipping/storage cost comparison and come up with a conclusion?
Old Sep 25th 2012, 2:25 am
BE Forum Addict

pompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to beholdpompeyblonde is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Shipping vs storage on UK test run?

I did look into storage temporarily, but as you say very expensive here. Are you planning to possibly ship it on? Storage is prbably cheaper in the Uk?
Old Sep 25th 2012, 11:26 am
BE Forum Addict

roaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond reputeroaringmouse has a reputation beyond repute

We're in the UK now, not sure if this is a permanent move or not, so we put most of our stuff into storage in Melbourne with the international removalists. What costs are you getting for storage?

Ours, for a 20ft container, is $198/month (plus packing & handling to initially get it into storage). We only shipped over 10 boxes of stuff as currently we're staying with relatives so don't need much of our own belongings.

When looking into it I found storage in the UK to be more expensive than Australia. Over all I concluded that it was better to store over there in case we return, and as our stuff is in a container with the removal company it's easy to get sent over if we decide to stay in the UK.
Old Sep 25th 2012, 12:16 pm
Practical Paramedic

MissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond reputeMissBetty has a reputation beyond repute

I found storage costs to be more expensive in the UK to be honest when I looked into it. I have enough furniture to fill a 2 bed flat and around 10 boxes, I've got rid of all electricals - washing machine, fridge/freezer etc. I am paying around $500 to have everything picked up and put into storage and then my storage costs will be $3.30 per day. Once I have my own place again I will get it shipped over, should be around $5000. I went with a company called Wridgways (they have offices all over) I have had a couple of friends who have used them to move back from Brisbane and they come highly recommended. Once I need my stuff I just have to e-mail them and pay the shipping fees. Hope this helps you!