Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping the dog - are they insane?!?!

Shipping the dog - are they insane?!?!

Old Nov 3rd 2014, 5:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Geordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond reputeGeordie Lass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping the dog - are they insane?!?!

We shipped a 60lb lab from Manchester to Calgary and that was just over 1500 GBP.

She had to have a specially made crate (the heffer) - she's not fat - she's actually very muscly just big.

It cost more to fly her than our 3 tickets combined... This included the crate and the checks at Schiphol. She flew via Amsterdam (cheapest way to do it) This was after a lot of shopping around and bargaining the price down!! This was over 2 years ago.

Last edited by Geordie Lass; Nov 3rd 2014 at 5:08 am.
Old Nov 7th 2014, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

transatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond repute

You should look into Icelandair if you haven't already, I found their one way fares a fraction of those on the likes of BA or AC, plus the fee for carriage of pets was also cheaper, I paid around $400 for our Canadian cat :-)
Old Nov 8th 2014, 3:29 am
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by transatlantic
You should look into Icelandair if you haven't already, I found their one way fares a fraction of those on the likes of BA or AC, plus the fee for carriage of pets was also cheaper, I paid around $400 for our Canadian cat :-)
Our tickets are booked through a friend's buddy passes on Delta... 840$ canadian for the three of us one way. I will look again on Iceland Air ... But I thought you needed to be on the same flight?

Anyone know?
Old Nov 8th 2014, 4:23 am
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Export of live animals
Old Nov 9th 2014, 10:06 pm
Just Joined

Fedupandt1red is an unknown quantity at this point

We recently had a quote for approx. $3000 for our Golden Retriever. This was from an IPATA approved pet carrier in Calgary. Based on his measurements for the cage he'll have to travel in, vets fees, DEFRA on the other side, ticket etc. The carrier uses Air Canada. I've been told that AC has one of the best track records for shipping animals. It's a lot of money but I need to know my dog is going to be looked after and arrive in one piece. It's stressful enough for animals. I'm not saying it's not a rip off because it most definitely is, but I want my dog to arrive alive! The carriers have us by the short & curlies I'm afraid.

Last edited by Fedupandt1red; Nov 9th 2014 at 10:08 pm. Reason: small addition
Old Nov 10th 2014, 5:17 am
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

Fedup, I think you've hit the nail on the head... It is extortion and they know it, but they also know we'll pay it.
Old Nov 10th 2014, 6:43 am
Forum Regular

transatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond reputetransatlantic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
Our tickets are booked through a friend's buddy passes on Delta... 840$ canadian for the three of us one way. I will look again on Iceland Air ... But I thought you needed to be on the same flight?

Anyone know?
That is a very good price with Delta! You're right about needing to be on the same flight with Icelandair
Old Nov 10th 2014, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Noordhang is an unknown quantity at this point

I am flying my two poodles to the UK from South Africa when I move there in March 2015. I have had a number of quotes [they weigh 11kg together] ranging from R15,000 to R35,000. Rand to dollar is +/- 11 to 1, Rand to GBP is +/- 18 to 1. The lowest price was from an expert in flying wildlife [giraffes, lions, rhinos, etc. etc.] and he uses BA principally, with very good clearing agents at Heathrow who will deliver the little dogs to Leominster. OK, he doesn't offer all the perks like collecting the dogs from my house, helping with the State Vet and all that, but I can do that if it is going to save me a further R20,000 !! It is definitely necessary to get a number of quotes.
Old Nov 13th 2014, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
I just got a quote from air canada to ship my 70lb dog from Montreal to London and the quote they gave me is $3535.00 canadian... ?!?!?!?!?!?
Am I doing something wrong?! There is no way, that's more than it will cost us to ship our stuff, AND fly ourselves over there... This can't be right, this is a small labrador, not a freaking horse!!
Can someone who's done this with a similar breed please advise?
Wow.
I no longer have a dog and had no idea it was that expensive.

It makes you wonder how much it would cost to charter a steel hulled trawler to make the crossing. Dividing the expenses among perhaps three families. I think there are idle vessels in the Canadian Maritimes at certain times of the year.

Of course, not everyone would be up for such an adventure!
Old Nov 13th 2014, 7:11 am

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Cool Re: Shipping the dog - are they insane?!?!

Originally Posted by holly_1948
Wow.
I no longer have a dog and had no idea it was that expensive.

It makes you wonder how much it would cost to charter a steel hulled trawler to make the crossing. Dividing the expenses among perhaps three families. I think there are idle vessels in the Canadian Maritimes at certain times of the year.

Of course, not everyone would be up for such an adventure!
No need. One can go in luxury on the Queen Mary 2 from New York to Southampton (approx the same cost or less than the price of an air ticket in economy class) AND the cost for a dog in the kennels on the ship is $500 to $600!
Old Nov 14th 2014, 3:04 am
Just Joined

RickinHK is an unknown quantity at this point

This sounds about right I think. I am shipping two dogs from Hong Kong to the UK. One is a mongrel and he weighs 25kg. The other is a chihuahua and she weighs 2.5kg.

In total it is costing us $40,000 (GBP 3300 ). But, it's what we expected. A friend of mine shipped two two breed dogs to Australia and this is what it cost EACH (so twice the cost).
Old Nov 14th 2014, 2:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

This post
Shared Flight (with pets) from UK to US? (hotel, new home) - United Kingdom - City-Data Forum
suggests that if QM does not work for you it is a lot cheaper and easier to fly your dog to Paris and take the train to UK than to try to fly to UK directly.
Old Nov 14th 2014, 4:17 pm

Englishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishmum has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation Re: Shipping the dog - are they insane?!?!

Originally Posted by holly_1948
This post
Shared Flight (with pets) from UK to US? (hotel, new home) - United Kingdom - City-Data Forum
suggests that if QM does not work for you it is a lot cheaper and easier to fly your dog to Paris and take the train to UK than to try to fly to UK directly.
There was a very detailed discussion about this (although we never did find out if Windsong has moved to the UK or not....she seems to have dropped off the radar )

http://britishexpats.com/forum/movin...rip-uk-798735/
Old Nov 26th 2014, 2:59 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

We've been trying to get quotes for 3 cats and a medium dog. Vancouver to Gatwick, they've all come out a bit vague on price, but we are looking at around $5,000. This is just for flights alone. Doesn't include any vets or paperwork, which I'm terrified of getting wrong!
Old Nov 26th 2014, 3:30 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

2 cats for YYZ to LHR cost be around $1700 ex vet fees.

Went through it four weeks ago so please pm re paperwork if you wish and I can answer questions. It was one of most stressful parts of move....but was all fine. Cats arrived wo problems.

If I had to do it again, I would get the crates early. Take them out to airport, with animal inside and make sure transport folks are happy with the type and size of crate.

paperwork needs to be done within 10 days of flight and you have the extra hassle of heart worm for the dog.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.