Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Shipping the dog - are they insane?!?!

Shipping the dog - are they insane?!?!

Old Oct 3rd 2014, 7:23 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all
Question Shipping the dog - are they insane?!?!

I just got a quote from air canada to ship my 70lb dog from Montreal to London and the quote they gave me is $3535.00 canadian... ?!?!?!?!?!?

Am I doing something wrong?! There is no way, that's more than it will cost us to ship our stuff, AND fly ourselves over there... This can't be right, this is a small labrador, not a freaking horse!!

Can someone who's done this with a similar breed please advise?

Last edited by pondhopper2014; Oct 3rd 2014 at 7:26 pm.
Old Oct 3rd 2014, 7:46 pm
Just Joined

KDeacon is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Shipping the dog - are they insane?!?!

That does seem a bit extreme, have you tried getting quotes from other approved airlines?
I wish you the best of luck, being with out your fur kids is tough
Old Oct 4th 2014, 9:30 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

That does sound very high. We paid CAD $2176 for two cats, with Air Transat. Maybe you should try them. They fly to Gatwick, but they insist on booking through a cargo broker.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 9:35 am
Joined on April fools day

Beaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond reputeBeaverstate has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014
I just got a quote from air canada to ship my 70lb dog from Montreal to London and the quote they gave me is $3535.00 canadian... ?!?!?!?!?!?

Am I doing something wrong?! There is no way, that's more than it will cost us to ship our stuff, AND fly ourselves over there... This can't be right, this is a small labrador, not a freaking horse!!

Can you ship a dog, by well, ship. Much slower I would imagine, but likely cheaper.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 11:18 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beaverstate
Can you ship a dog, by well, ship. Much slower I would imagine, but likely cheaper.
If it were to the UK, it would have to be via one of DEFRA's approved routes and carriers. From North America, I think the QM2 from NY to Southampton is the only route, and it books years in advance.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 2:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If that's really cheaper than it'll cost you to fly there, and to ship your stuff (which is usually a few thousand), then you've got bargain flights and shipping!
Old Oct 4th 2014, 8:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

As I found out, to ship animals into the Uk you have to go through live cargo with one of the airlines. Try BA and Icelandic Air and see if they are cheaper. The quote I got for cats from AC and BA were pretty much the same I just see it as part of he "exit tax".
Old Oct 4th 2014, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

pondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to allpondhopper2014 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
If that's really cheaper than it'll cost you to fly there, and to ship your stuff (which is usually a few thousand), then you've got bargain flights and shipping!
Tickets one way for three people through Iceland Air is about 1800.00, we're only shipping a few boxes, so it'll be about 1500.00. Total? 3300.00. Dog one way? 3500.00. Yes, insane.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 9:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

Might be insane but it is what it is. Vet has to clear and inspect the animal at the other end, special handling etc etc - and they know that people will pay that for their animals.

I see it as part of e exit tax. Similarly, I expect to find things more expensive in the Uk that where I live at the moment in Toronto. I doubt very much that I will be able to buy, for example, 12 limes for the equivalent of $1
Old Oct 4th 2014, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

which begs the question, are you the person they talk about in the maths word problems who buy 68 cantaloupes?

Yes, it just seems rather steep is all. We'd budgetted 2500.00 but even that felt high for ONE dog.
Old Oct 4th 2014, 9:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

hahaha, I had forgotten those questions.

For me, the cost of living in the UK will be more than in Toronto, though, I understand yu expect it to be cheaper because of where you currently live in Canada.
Old Oct 5th 2014, 9:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

ElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really niceElizabethK is just really nice

Last year I shipped 2 cats and one dog from Pennsylvania to Heathrow. Total weight of all 3 including the weight of their carriers was probably just over 70lbs and I paid $1900.
I flew them with BA so maybe give them a ring and see if they fly animals from Montreal to UK. I can't imagine it would be as much as Air Canada have quoted
Old Oct 16th 2014, 2:26 pm
Just Joined

Dorbel is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by pondhopper2014

I have just gotten a quote from Air Canada on shipping my 65lb dog in an XL vari kennel from Toronto to Dublin. $1700.00. Seems your cost should be similar. Maybe check cost from Toronto to London.
Old Oct 16th 2014, 2:51 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dorbel
I have just gotten a quote from Air Canada on shipping my 65lb dog in an XL vari kennel from Toronto to Dublin. $1700.00. Seems your cost should be similar. Maybe check cost from Toronto to London.
Pondhopper's dog is 70lb.

Put the dog on a diet?
Old Oct 17th 2014, 2:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

She is 29.1 kilos, the crate needed (by their measurements of length plus half of front leg) needs to be a giant (27x29x40) crate. We found someone in the industry who is trying going to work to do it cheaper on an approved airline, but we'd have to pay the JC people at the other end... How much is that typically?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.