Shipping from California to UK

Shipping from California to UK

Old Aug 11th 2020, 10:20 pm
Just Joined

Mungojerry is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Shipping from California to UK

Hi all
Looking for some advice.
We are about to move from California to Devon & was wondering if anyone had any shipping companies & rates that they've used & would recommend. We've been quoted £9k & £10k for 1500cubic ft of a 40ft container from various shippers but it does feel very expensive. We have been looking into John Mason, Pickfords & Bishops. I've also gone down the other route of getting quotes if we packed things ourselves etc and it's much cheaper. Worried that the cheaper option will result in more issues down the line with certain services not included.

Any advice or help appreciated
Thank you!
Old Aug 12th 2020, 1:59 am
BE Forum Addict

ianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond reputeianandhelena has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Shipping from California to UK

Can't help with your question, but I saw your username and thought you might like to read this whilst you're waiting for answers:
https://www.theguardian.com/music/20...the-summertime
Old Aug 15th 2020, 11:16 am
Just Joined

Josephine25 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
We just arrived in the UK from SF Bay Area and our belongings will arrive next week. It was a 5 week shipment.
We used Rainier in Washington State and (even though it hasn't arrived yet) they were fantastic every step of the way. Our flights were cancelled twice and so we had to keep changing our move date. Nothing was a problem for them.
We paid around 8K for a 20ft container. A container was dropped off, they came and packed everything and they filled the container. They have to do inventory for customs paperwork. On this end, they are delivering, unpacking and taking away the garbage! The only additional thing we had to pay for was insurance and storage on this end.

I researched this a lot and I was going to go with another company. When I checked them on BBB, this company was recommended by people who had moved.

Mark Lawson was my contact. If you tell him that my shipment is due to arrive on August 17th, he'll know who this is.
Good luck!www.RainierOS.com

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 17th 2020 at 8:39 am. Reason: Removed Mark's email and tel no - he won't thank you when it's picked up by every spambot out there!
Old Aug 15th 2020, 11:17 am
Just Joined

That's $8000 not pounds
Old Aug 15th 2020, 11:57 pm
Just Joined

lauraloulou is an unknown quantity at this point

Do you have any extra items like creating works? I have just received a quote that’s a little over 9k 420 foot container but I’m not sure if I really want or need to take everything. Wondering if I should just pair down the list or look for an additional quote. I have been working with crown and they have been fantastic so far and came recommended by many people.
Old Aug 16th 2020, 11:12 pm
Just Joined

Did you use Yavner for Rainier who is apparently their local contact?
Old Aug 17th 2020, 12:56 pm
Just Joined

Avner, yes.
Old Sep 1st 2020, 5:06 pm
Just Joined

Britmitch is an unknown quantity at this point

do they have to inventory it ? Or can we inventory it and provide a list of items inside ?
Old Jan 15th 2021, 2:57 am
Forum Regular

pollybegoode is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Josephine25
Hi there,
We just arrived in the UK from SF Bay Area and our belongings will arrive next week. It was a 5 week shipment.
We used Rainier in Washington State and (even though it hasn't arrived yet) they were fantastic every step of the way. Our flights were cancelled twice and so we had to keep changing our move date. Nothing was a problem for them.
We paid around 8K for a 20ft container. A container was dropped off, they came and packed everything and they filled the container. They have to do inventory for customs paperwork. On this end, they are delivering, unpacking and taking away the garbage! The only additional thing we had to pay for was insurance and storage on this end.

I researched this a lot and I was going to go with another company. When I checked them on BBB, this company was recommended by people who had moved.

Mark Lawson was my contact. If you tell him that my shipment is due to arrive on August 17th, he'll know who this is.
Good luck!www.RainierOS.com
Hi there, just wanted to check to see how your experience ended up going with Rainier once your items were delivered? Any extra costs? We have been speaking to rainier and they do seem very reasonable and I'd love to hear your thoughts before we go ahead with it. Thanks!
Old Jan 15th 2021, 6:55 am
Just Joined

there were extra costs associated with the fact that I live down a wiggly dirt road, which I knew about in advance, and which was charged by the shipper on this end. Basically they had to take everything out of the container and put it into two vans for delivery. They did mention that things had been packed in the container with heavy things on top of light things. This may have been because they also had to transfer from a delivery van into the container on the US side of the delivery. I didn’t have any damages so it didn’t bother me very much. They were very communicative and I thought the price was very reasonable and I was happy with the whole thing.
Originally Posted by pollybegoode
Hi there, just wanted to check to see how your experience ended up going with Rainier once your items were delivered? Any extra costs? We have been speaking to rainier and they do seem very reasonable and I'd love to hear your thoughts before we go ahead with it. Thanks!
Old Jan 15th 2021, 4:08 pm
Just Joined

I would highly recommend Rainier. They were excellent all around and I would certainly use them again.
I didn't love the packers they subcontracted to. They didn't do a great job I found out on this end, but only one thing was broken. I gave the feedback to Mark at Rainier and he was on it right away. Not really any hidden costs. It was as he said. Due to COVID we had problems moving into our rentals so we stored it with Britannia in the UK, which was organised by Rainier. Couldn't have been easier and in doing so I kept my insurance until I received my belongings.
Good luck.
Old Jan 15th 2021, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

I would highly recommend Rainier. They were excellent all around and I would certainly use them again.
I didn't love the packers they subcontracted to. They didn't do a great job I found out on this end, but only one thing was broken. I gave the feedback to Mark at Rainier and he was on it right away. Not really any hidden costs. It was as he said. Due to COVID we had problems moving into our rentals so we stored it with Britannia in the UK, which was organised by Rainier. Couldn't have been easier and in doing so I kept my insurance until I received my belongings.
Good luck.
Good to know! I'm going to be there when the packers come and will be making sure they pack up everything as well as possible. It's all so unknown, but great to hear you had a good experience!
Old Jan 15th 2021, 6:09 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by lauraloulou
there were extra costs associated with the fact that I live down a wiggly dirt road, which I knew about in advance, and which was charged by the shipper on this end. Basically they had to take everything out of the container and put it into two vans for delivery. They did mention that things had been packed in the container with heavy things on top of light things. This may have been because they also had to transfer from a delivery van into the container on the US side of the delivery. I didn’t have any damages so it didn’t bother me very much. They were very communicative and I thought the price was very reasonable and I was happy with the whole thing.
I think we will encounter extra costs as the top off location is very rural and windy roads! Thanks for the heads up about the packing - I will check in with Rainier about heavy things being placed on top of our shipment. That's a worry as our shipment has lots of fragile items.
Old Jan 16th 2021, 7:28 am
Just Joined

I was there the entire time with the packers. 8 hours. When my shipment arrived, the guy at Britannia said it was the worst packed container he had opened in 15 years. The inventory page was ridiculous. I had nothing to hide but if customs had been looking for something they'd have had to open every box since only the ones I labeled myself had anything written on them. Mirrors packed just in a box, framed prints the same. I'd never used a container or used packers before so I didn't know any better and they looked like they were doing a good job.
Old Jan 16th 2021, 4:18 pm
Forum Regular

I was there the entire time with the packers. 8 hours. When my shipment arrived, the guy at Britannia said it was the worst packed container he had opened in 15 years. The inventory page was ridiculous. I had nothing to hide but if customs had been looking for something they'd have had to open every box since only the ones I labeled myself had anything written on them. Mirrors packed just in a box, framed prints the same. I'd never used a container or used packers before so I didn't know any better and they looked like they were doing a good job.
Thank you for your response! This is good info to know. I'll make sure I set that expectation of labelling everything and wrapping all fragile items. Ours is a small shipment so hopefully it'll be easier to manage the packing as our apartment is small. Glad nothing was damaged!
Anything you would suggest to make the packing smooth as possible for everyone? I'll group items together that should be packed together, label everything and ensure they know which items to wrap in bubble wrap etc. Anything else?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.