She's here! Now what?

Old Oct 17th 2014, 9:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute
Default She's here! Now what?

My wife finally got her spousal visa last month and she has been here a week (yay!!) Thanks to all of your for you help to my sometimes stressful posts.

Now she is here, I am not sure what else I need to do to get her settled here. I plan on next week adding her to my doctor and dentist but other than that I'm not sure. Does she need to get a National Insurance card/number? What does she need to prove she's eligible to live and work here etc if the doctor or dentists asks for example? Also she wants to set up a bank account so I will go to the bank with her today to sort that out but we've agreed for her to just have a month to relax and unwind before she starts looking for work so no rush there, I'm just not sure that now she's here, what else I need to do?

Thanks
Old Oct 17th 2014, 11:36 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: She's here! Now what?

Yes, she can apply for a NI number:https://www.gov.uk/apply-national-insurance-number

Doctor and dentist are unlikely to ask for proof of residence. They should not be concerned with right to work.

Generally, for proof of identity it is a good idea to have a household bill in her name, or your joint names. That way she can produce a bill in her name as evidence of her address.

She can register to vote: Register to vote - About my vote

She will not be eligible to vote in general elections until she is a British Citizen, but will have the right to vote in local and EU elections immediately. Having your name on the electoral register can also be useful for credit checks etc.

If she is a driver she will need to exchange her foreign driving licence for a UK one: https://www.gov.uk/exchange-foreign-driving-licence. Her licence will also be a useful document for proof of ID.

I hope this helps. I do not look at the visa forum, so I don't know your particular circumstances.
Old Oct 17th 2014, 11:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Harveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond reputeHarveyspecter has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Editha
Old Oct 19th 2014, 7:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Vadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond reputeVadio has a reputation beyond repute

Your wife is a US citizen, and cannot vote until she obtains UK citizenship - see:

Electoral Commission | Who can register to vote?

She cannot exchange her US license for a UK license, but she can drive for 12 months. Insurance premiums will likely be higher while she is using her US license. She will need to take the test(s) to get a UK license just like a new driver.

You will need to start accumulating utility bills etc. in joint names in preparation for her ultimate application for ILR; that's part of the required proof of a continuing relationship. Read the requirements for her situation - it's a longer route now than in was pre-July 2012, and start a file with documents. It's important to plan now so that you're not scrambling in a few years time.

Depending on the surgery and their familiarity with eligibility for NHS services, they may ask for proof of legal presence. I had to provide my US passport when I registered in 2011. The visa is proof of legal presence, and right to work.

Don't forget that as a US citizen, your wife is required to file a US tax return on worldwide income if above the filing threshold for her filing status. (She would most likely file as "married filing separately", assuming you are not a dual status alien or green card holder; she cannot file as "single".) A state tax return may also be required if she lived in a state with income tax.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 8:01 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Apologies. Vadio is right on voting and licences. I should not have answered without knowing the nationality of your wife.

My, originally Canadian, husband has never been asked for proof of residency by his doctor's surgery, but it obviously depends on the surgery.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 8:43 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

The doctor's surgery wanted proof of address to see that we were in their catchment.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 8:48 am
Was in Canada, now home.

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
The doctor's surgery wanted proof of address to see that we were in their catchment.
Interesting. Maybe it is a town/country difference. When we registered with our local surgery in July, they didn't ask for a thing.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 9:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Interesting. Maybe it is a town/country difference. When we registered with our local surgery in July, they didn't ask for a thing.
I think it probably depends on area. Ours predominantly serves students so their lists must be pretty full.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 10:32 am
BE Forum Addict

michali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond reputemichali has a reputation beyond repute

I think it does depend on area and particular practice. We both had our NHS numbers from years ago and I offered proof of address but they wanted to see nothing! We did fill out a re registration form which indicated my husband was not born here but they did not ask about his status. I agree about starting to gather proof of relationship and living together from now. I have a file in which I keep all official documents either in one name or both, which we will use to apply for FLR. Also make sure any bank accounts you open meet the requirements of issuing monthly paper statements and being instantly accessible. We have to revisit one bank tomorrow to clarify the conditions of our account as we were promised one thing and given another!
Old Oct 19th 2014, 10:57 am
Under blue skies

WEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond reputeWEBlue has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michali
I agree about starting to gather proof of relationship and living together from now. I have a file in which I keep all official documents either in one name or both, which we will use to apply for FLR. Also make sure any bank accounts you open meet the requirements of issuing monthly paper statements and being instantly accessible.
Yes, do start adding her name to things like utilities accounts, cable, etc., so you have a continuous stream of paper proof that she has lived with you at that address for all of the 2.5 years until she applies for FLR. The more paper items of proof she has, the better.

Last edited by WEBlue; Oct 19th 2014 at 10:59 am.
Old Oct 19th 2014, 8:47 pm
Forum Regular

On the road again is an unknown quantity at this point

I'd start with driving lessons if she's a bit on the timid side. Country lanes can be extremely daunting for those not used to lanes barely wide enough for one car especially when there's a vehicles approaching.

And if she feels she wants to venture off on her own while your at work a GPS will help to get her home.

You can put her on your car insurance also.

Sign her up to your bank account. Banks seem much more agreeable to that than her starting her own.

And last but not least, flowers, lots of flowers.
Old Oct 20th 2014, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks all!

Been away smooching this weekend lol but did a bit of research too. As has been said she needs a utility bill to set up a bank account so we are going to set up a joint account soon or just make mine a joint account. I will register with the dentist and local doctor this week (the doctor is literally around the corner so I might go and see them in person to register).

We were aware of the worldwide tax return thing Vadio along with the driving licence thing. No fear of her driving though for she is a nervous enough driver in her own country, and here she'd have to deal with a manual (stick) shift! I purposely rented a house nearish to good public transport links for this reason so thats no worries.

Once she begins working we've agreed that I'll pay the rent and food and she'll pay the utilities but for now we are just enjoying the fact we don't have to interact via the internet!