She's Gone Country ....

Old Aug 30th 2011, 5:30 pm
Forum Regular

wildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nice
Default Re: She's Gone Country ....

Awesome - that looks like fun! Saw a wood stove advertised in our local paper for $100!

Thanks for the advice - looked up Wikihow - gotta lotta lifting to do lol

First to identify what kind of tree it is apparently .....
Old Aug 30th 2011, 5:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

Egg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud ofEgg and Cress has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ottotheboar
I would keep quiet about the three degrees one of my younger neghbours (75ish) told me the biggest problem with college and "that stuff" was that it educated the common sense right out of people.
In some cases, that's absolutely true!!!
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:37 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank

http://www.stihlusa.com/graphics/chainsaws/MS311.gif

Get this one. Especially if you have a woodstove or fireplace.

http://www.stihlusa.com/chainsaws/MS311.html
Hubs wants a Stihl to replace his Craftsman which he bought for suburban use. Now that we live "out" and has an insert he has to upgrade.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:41 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Egg and Cress;9590296]
Originally Posted by tamms_1965

I don't bother correcting mine - I'm too busy translating for him! Even after all this time in the US he has trouble being understood, particularly at fast food joints!
I know the feeling...it's worse since we moved further "out." It seems that the women understand him a little better than the men folk.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 7:50 pm
Queen of my house

I've got that one as well. Very nice. And it carries the Stihl "Caring for Nature" seal http://www.stihlusa.com/graphics/cha...are_nature.gif so you know it's good for the environment.

Stack firewood off the ground and covered in a place well away from the house. Get a wood rack that holds a day or two's worth and put it on the porch. Fill the porch rack from the woodpile as needed.

I miss our woodstove.

Once, I got behind in my wood splitting and borrowed my uncle's gas powered splitter. It was nice.
http://britishexpats.com/photopost/d.../splitting.jpg

A happy boy. It was his job to stack the wood in the racks and then haul it to the house as needed. I'm not sure he misses the woodstove as much as I do.
http://britishexpats.com/photopost/d...ium/happy1.jpg
Our farmer friend is going to bring his splitter down as soon as harvesting is done. They're great machines.
Old Aug 30th 2011, 10:25 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Stack firewood off the ground and covered in a place well away from the house. Get a wood rack that holds a day or two's worth and put it on the porch. Fill the porch rack from the woodpile as needed.
Pallets make great base The in-laws have two stacks, one is fresh split, the other is the previous years seasoned split which is in the garage and then they move a small amount onto the porch when needed.

Though he gets the off cuts from the woods, being a woodsman, he slashes, strips and loads the cut trees and keeps the end off cuts which can be huge, so rents a gas powered splitter every year to take care of it.

I wouldn't call it fun, but it is a good work out. He's a mate who owns a dump truck, so his mate sometimes just loads the stumps and takes it around to his and the grandmothers place for the cost of a load himself.

Not bad, free wood supply though as it's pretty expensive, decent stuff at least
Old Aug 30th 2011, 11:26 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by Bob
Pallets make great base The in-laws have two stacks, one is fresh split, the other is the previous years seasoned split which is in the garage and then they move a small amount onto the porch when needed.

Though he gets the off cuts from the woods, being a woodsman, he slashes, strips and loads the cut trees and keeps the end off cuts which can be huge, so rents a gas powered splitter every year to take care of it.

I wouldn't call it fun, but it is a good work out. He's a mate who owns a dump truck, so his mate sometimes just loads the stumps and takes it around to his and the grandmothers place for the cost of a load himself.

Not bad, free wood supply though as it's pretty expensive, decent stuff at least

We asked our farmer friend if he knew where to buy a true cord of seasoned wood and he said, "You're not gonna buy any wood. I've got plenty if you wanna cut it up yourself. We don't bother with it."
Old Aug 31st 2011, 12:12 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

We asked our farmer friend if he knew where to buy a true cord of seasoned wood and he said, "You're not gonna buy any wood. I've got plenty if you wanna cut it up yourself. We don't bother with it."
but is it good burning wood?

Dense hardwoods give off more heat and burn for longer, so less trips stocking up on wood piles...and anything that smells good, like cedar/pine is crap to burn and tends to make more of a mess in the stove/chimney.

Definitely get the chimney checked over at the end of the season and again at the beginning of the season if you don't have your own set of brushes
Old Aug 31st 2011, 1:35 am
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by Bob
but is it good burning wood?

Dense hardwoods give off more heat and burn for longer, so less trips stocking up on wood piles...and anything that smells good, like cedar/pine is crap to burn and tends to make more of a mess in the stove/chimney.

Definitely get the chimney checked over at the end of the season and again at the beginning of the season if you don't have your own set of brushes
We (I should say "I") am experienced when it comes to all of the above. I grew up with it...it's the only heat source we had for awhile. However, I will not be cleaning the chimney in the spring; I'll leave that to my chimney guy that installed the insert.

When we first moved in last winter, we had the chimneys inspected and it was the inspector that suggested the insert since we had top-of-the-line ss liners for two of the 6 fireplaces (we had no idea when we bought the place, I talked to the previous owner since then and he said, "Yes, I had them put in but never got around to getting inserts put in ). We converted three to gas with plans to do the other two in the next couple of years. Luckily, it is good wood for burning, but we do have some shit wood out back that we use for bonfires.

We got a Vermont Castings insert that's 75% efficient so we get a tax refund this year (and it supposedly can heat up to 2000 sf). We had a couple of cold nights last spring right after it was installed so we were able to break it in. Not that I'm looking forward to cold weather, but I have to say I am looking forward to my fires I'm a closet pyro.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 2:15 am
Forum Regular

wildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nicewildinvirginia is just really nice

You guys are like an oracle lol. I might have to start editing your comments and advice into a how o guide for city girls gone country. You could get rich off this stuff lol

I m trying to identify my tree so i can come ask you if it's worth the work it;s going to take to pile it - so far sassafras and Spanish pine have been suggested.

I am very lucky in that altho the property is old, the landlord is actually paying a real person (not his usual bodge it guy) to come line the chimney and buy a wood burner that is safer for use around baby. Pyro lady, help me muchly because I am as terrified of fire as I am of axe murderers
Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:13 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

We (I should say "I") am experienced when it comes to all of the above. I grew up with it...it's the only heat source we had for awhile. However, I will not be cleaning the chimney in the spring; I'll leave that to my chimney guy that installed the insert.
It's amusing, as FIL is a really laid back guy, never takes things much seriously, but getting the chimney checked and getting some one to do the electrics are the only two things he seriously goes for.

He used to be the town fire chief and has had to deal with so many house fires and deaths on those two issues, probably more than chip fat type fires that are the norm for Brits, but then most have deep fat friers that are safer out there I guess.
Old Aug 31st 2011, 4:21 pm
Queen of my house

Originally Posted by Bob
It's amusing, as FIL is a really laid back guy, never takes things much seriously, but getting the chimney checked and getting some one to do the electrics are the only two things he seriously goes for.

He used to be the town fire chief and has had to deal with so many house fires and deaths on those two issues, probably more than chip fat type fires that are the norm for Brits, but then most have deep fat friers that are safer out there I guess.
Our house burned to the ground when I was in 2nd grade (2 weeks before Christmas) and even as a young adult I would wake up thinking the house was on fire.
Old Sep 1st 2011, 12:47 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

When we first got our woodstove, I found this site was a great resource: http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/
Old Sep 1st 2011, 1:43 pm
Queen of my house

When we first got our woodstove, I found this site was a great resource: http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/
I love that site I agree...very good info on there.