Sheffield - where to live

Old Feb 25th 2016, 7:44 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute
Question Sheffield - where to live

Hi, I have a job offer in Sheffield and will be in the city centre. Moving back from NZ and did live in Sale/Altrincham, near Manchester previously, so similar would be good

Any suggestions on areas that would be good to live in and also commutable? Main needs

3 bed house
Happy to use public transport if possible
Prefer to be near restaurant/bar but not super noisy
We are early 50's, daughters will be in Edinburgh
Close'ish to parks/peak district to walk our dog

Thanks
Old Feb 25th 2016, 8:16 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sheffield - where to live

Pretty much anywhere in the west of the city should suit you. Some areas have higher student populations than others so if that's a concern you may want to select accordingly.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 2:33 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
I have a job offer in Sheffield and will be in the city centre. Moving back from NZ
Well done, good luck.

We live in NZ and should we return to Britain we are aware we might have to be flexible where we return to in the UK. In the first instance at least anyway. I admit to being a little bit envious of your job offer which you are returning to Britain for.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Feb 26th 2016 at 2:39 am. Reason: quote that quote
Old Feb 26th 2016, 3:01 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Pretty much anywhere in the west of the city should suit you. Some areas have higher student populations than others so if that's a concern you may want to select accordingly.
Thank you - makes it easy to look for somewhere
Old Feb 26th 2016, 3:03 am
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Well done, good luck.

We live in NZ and should we return to Britain we are aware we might have to be flexible where we return to in the UK. In the first instance at least anyway. I admit to being a little bit envious of your job offer which you are returning to Britain for.

Thanks Snap Shot.

We have literally considered everywhere except London - too expensive. Fingers crossed it works out - am looking forward to the move.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 3:15 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks Snap Shot.

We have literally considered everywhere except London - too expensive. Fingers crossed it works out - am looking forward to the move.
You're welcome. Glad you're looking forward to it. Hope all goes well for you.

We would probably do the same i.e. anywhere but London for the same reason as you. The fact that I'm from South East England and we lived there as a married couple for nearly 20 years before arriving in NZ doesn't mean I'm in any tearing hurry to return to there. But I wouldn't rule it out either......
Old Feb 26th 2016, 3:20 am
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
You're welcome. Glad you're looking forward to it. Hope all goes well for you.

We would probably do the same i.e. anywhere but London for the same reason as you. The fact that I'm from South East England and we lived there as a married couple for nearly 20 years before arriving in NZ doesn't mean I'm in any tearing hurry to return to there. But I wouldn't rule it out either......
We were in Manchester for 30 yearsand originally said no to the north, but I actually find some comfort in the familiarity of where we will be as do know it - for shopping and the Peak District anyway!

Thanks again
Old Feb 26th 2016, 3:24 am

You're welcome. Just gimme anything in a British accent !

for you and
Old Feb 26th 2016, 6:52 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I have a job offer in Sheffield and will be in the city centre. Moving back from NZ and did live in Sale/Altrincham, near Manchester previously, so similar would be good Any suggestions on areas that would be good to live in and also commutable? Main needs 3 bed houseHappy to use public transport if possiblePrefer to be near restaurant/bar but not super noisyWe are early 50's, daughters will be in EdinburghClose'ish to parks/peak district to walk our dog Thanks
Hi we live over the border in Derbyshire (lots of people work in Sheffield where we live as well) with the M1 which literally runs through Sheffield you can live N.S.E or West of the City Crookes,Broomhall/ Crosspool Eccelshall and Fulwood are nice areas also just off the A57 are Heathersage and Castleton. Meadowhall is an excellent shopping centre just on the outskirts of the City. Good luck
Old Feb 26th 2016, 6:37 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi we live over the border in Derbyshire (lots of people work in Sheffield where we live as well) with the M1 which literally runs through Sheffield you can live N.S.E or West of the City Crookes,Broomhall/ Crosspool Eccelshall and Fulwood are nice areas also just off the A57 are Heathersage and Castleton. Meadowhall is an excellent shopping centre just on the outskirts of the City. Good luck
That's great information, thank you. Will get searching
Old Feb 26th 2016, 6:41 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I should also add Sheffield has an excellent tram system, the 'Supertram', so if you're keen on using public transport to get to work then being near one of the stops might be something to consider.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 6:48 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by BritInParis
I should also add Sheffield has an excellent tram system, the 'Supertram', so if you're keen on using public transport to get to work then being near one of the stops might be something to consider.

I did notice that and would be very happy to use it if possible
Old Mar 4th 2016, 9:27 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, I have a job offer in Sheffield and will be in the city centre. Moving back from NZ and did live in Sale/Altrincham, near Manchester previously, so similar would be good

Any suggestions on areas that would be good to live in and also commutable? Main needs

3 bed house
Happy to use public transport if possible
Prefer to be near restaurant/bar but not super noisy
We are early 50's, daughters will be in Edinburgh
Close'ish to parks/peak district to walk our dog

Thanks
Congratulations to you. I'm very jealous. Trying to persuade the OH to go back.
Can't help you with the Sheffield search as I've only been a couple of times. We used to live in Burton-on-Trent and visited the Peak District frequently. Beautiful part of the world.

Good luck with all your plans.
Old Mar 9th 2016, 6:44 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Congratulations to you. I'm very jealous. Trying to persuade the OH to go back.
Can't help you with the Sheffield search as I've only been a couple of times. We used to live in Burton-on-Trent and visited the Peak District frequently. Beautiful part of the world.

Good luck with all your plans.
Thanks Vitalstatistix

Is hard when one doesn't want to go back. I think if my other half were to choose he would stay here, but happy to go back as I want to. I'm very fortunate.

Will post an update on what's happening on the NZ forum shortly - it's all go!
Old Mar 9th 2016, 7:53 pm
Kelowna newbies July 15

Beckie and Morgan UK is an unknown quantity at this point

I was born and raised in Sheffield although the area I'm from I probably wouldn't recommend! I moved to Huddersfield age 10 but all my family live in Sheffield. I agree with the post above regarding areas. Ecclesall is lovely plus Crosspool, Lodge Moor and Fulwood. Very close to the wonderful Peak District where I spent most of childhood selling icecreams! Upper Burbage bridge to be exact. Lucky you! Enjoy :-)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.