Wikiposts

shared containers

Old Jan 21st 2010, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

wingandapray is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: shared containers

Originally Posted by Tracijbc
Hey,

We have been getting quotes over the past couple of weeks. From Adelaide to Nottingham is going for around $4000 for 9.5 cu Metres of a container (excluding insurance). The best deal so far is Allied Pickfords who have the most flexible insurance package. Read the small print guys, Chess and Grace both only offer market value replacement value for clothes and/or anything over 7 years old, which means for stuff like our stereo separates, we would get about $20, but they would be worth about $2000, so do be careful!!

Allied Pickfords offer full value replacement, electrical derangement cover, mould & mildew cover and pairs & sets cover and you can pick and choose what you take out and pay seperately - not offered by Chess and Grace.

Phew! More details there than I intended - just a really hot topic in our house at the moment, as we are shipping at the end of March!

Cheers - hope this helps

Tracy xxx
We have gone with Pickfords before-quite expensive-Our stuff is in Queensland on an island-thats another story-9.5 cubic metres is that half a 40 container? Is it shared?
As a further question what are doing for employment? We are VERY worried about this after reading this:

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/work/ar...53928&ito=1453

We cant teach as a we are NOT qualified and we cant get jobs here either!!
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 6:33 am
I don't give a damn

Fleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond reputeFleaflyfloflum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Is that 3 different countries Flea, or just ping ponging back and forth to Australia?
No, no. We went from UK to New Zealand, NZ to Adelaide, Adelaide to Sydney, then back to UK
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 11:15 am
Lost in Space

lilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to beholdlilybilly101 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
No, no. We went from UK to New Zealand, NZ to Adelaide, Adelaide to Sydney, then back to UK
No one can say you didn't try it eh? I've only lived on Vacouver Island but I hear this is the best Canada has to offer and it is lovely. I just can't be bothered trying anywhere else. I don't have the finances to ship to somewhere else here nor do I have the energy!

Last edited by lilybilly101; Jan 22nd 2010 at 12:40 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2010, 12:17 pm
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Fleaflyfloflum
OK Flea, at least you tried another country LOL! I ping ponged from England to Oz, back to England, back to Oz, back to England

Barb
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:49 am
Forum Regular

martin83 will become famous soon enough

I've got a guy from Pickfords coming to quote me next week.. I've got less than a quarter of a 20ft container's worth of stuff.. After reading this thread i'm a little concerned about cost now though... However i guess it's a case of shopping around.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 7:16 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by martin83
I've got a guy from Pickfords coming to quote me next week.. I've got less than a quarter of a 20ft container's worth of stuff.. After reading this thread i'm a little concerned about cost now though... However i guess it's a case of shopping around.
We used Pickfords the first time out to Oz and I found them quite expensive on reflection, this time I am shopping around more.......
Old Jan 26th 2010, 4:36 pm
We're going home...yeay!!

Location: Crossing off the days until I can leave Oz and go home.
Tracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really niceTracijbc is just really nice

Originally Posted by Beedubya
We used Pickfords the first time out to Oz and I found them quite expensive on reflection, this time I am shopping around more.......
Fiar play to you for shopping around - a very good idea! The only thing I would say is read all the info about the insurance. This is what made us decide to use Pickfords over Chess or Grace, as if some numpty sticks a forklift through a box in the warehouse (or the whole lot plummets into the sea...!!), you only get current market value minus depreciation for clothes etc. For something like Matt's snowboarding jacket, it would be about 50p, when the jacket cost 300 quid, but it's over 7 years old. Just trying to help guys.....

To be honest, all our quotes came in around about the same, with Grace the most expensive at $4,430, Chess at $4,006 and, surprisingly, Pckfords were the cheapest at $3,900. None of them include insurance, and the insurance is all based on 3.5% of the total value of the shipment.

Good luck - this is DEFINITELY the last time I do this, too bloody stressful and expensive!!!

Tracy xx
Old Jan 26th 2010, 5:09 pm
Home Sweet Home

Fiar play to you for shopping around - a very good idea! The only thing I would say is read all the info about the insurance. This is what made us decide to use Pickfords over Chess or Grace, as if some numpty sticks a forklift through a box in the warehouse (or the whole lot plummets into the sea...!!), you only get current market value minus depreciation for clothes etc. For something like Matt's snowboarding jacket, it would be about 50p, when the jacket cost 300 quid, but it's over 7 years old. Just trying to help guys.....

To be honest, all our quotes came in around about the same, with Grace the most expensive at $4,430, Chess at $4,006 and, surprisingly, Pckfords were the cheapest at $3,900. None of them include insurance, and the insurance is all based on 3.5% of the total value of the shipment.

Good luck - this is DEFINITELY the last time I do this, too bloody stressful and expensive!!!

Tracy xx
Good points Tracy and I will bear them in mind. I am only bringing personal possessions, dishes, books, etc. I have decided to sell up all my furniture, white goods, etc.

Hoping the calendar days flick over quick for you and you will be home soon. I take it you are a ping ponger as they call it on this board?
Old Jan 27th 2010, 7:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Tracy xx
Tthanks for the info....I have just made a list up of movers....ready to get them to come around....I am/was trying to sell a lot of items some nearly new but alas not many takers out there this time of year....just looked at my list and Pickfords are not on it...will add....there is no way in Christendom I will be a ping ponger...honestly.....I just could not even go to paradise if it meant moving overseas again.......well maybe...lol....
Good luck...think I'm going to need it....