Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Sending a cat back to the UK

Sending a cat back to the UK

Old Jan 24th 2016, 9:01 pm
Forum Regular

sazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to beholdsazzle1979 is a splendid one to behold
Default Sending a cat back to the UK

Since living in NZ we have acquired a wee cat, never the cat type i told myself oh if we ever go back i will give her to a friend.... now of course she is firmly cemented in our family and there is no way i can leave her.

Has anyone else had a quote for flying a small cat back to the uk?

Thanks

S
Old Jan 25th 2016, 4:00 am
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Sending a cat back to the UK

Originally Posted by sazzle1979
Since living in NZ we have acquired a wee cat, never the cat type i told myself oh if we ever go back i will give her to a friend.... now of course she is firmly cemented in our family and there is no way i can leave her.

Has anyone else had a quote for flying a small cat back to the uk?

Thanks

S
I havent had one for just the cat, but cat and toy poodle from auckland to heathrow comes in about $3600. Not a lot of difference in size between them either!
Old Jan 27th 2016, 12:16 am
BE Forum Addict

windsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond reputewindsong has a reputation beyond repute

It might not be much help but I flew two smallish dogs from the USA to the UK. I was really surprised at the price. It cost no more than about 2000 U.S. Dollars and that included landing fees. I did this all myself with the help of the airlines and a good vet who knew the paperwork process backwards.

There's no need to use one of those expensive animal transporters, at least not from the USA. I don't know about Australia but I don't think it would be any different.

I fretted terribly about all the paperwork but now, looking back, it was really not much to worry about. The key is getting a good vet. The USDA was able to recommend a vet to me who was very familiar with the process.

Don't even consider giving her to a friend. She is your pet and part of your family and it is not difficult to go through the process to get her to the UK.

The dogs and I had limo service to the airport for departure - courtesy of a friend of mine. Didn't have to personally carry a dog crate or suitcase, thanks to the driver. Also, pick-up upon arrival straight to my new residence. I was really lucky.

Last edited by windsong; Jan 27th 2016 at 12:28 am.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

mayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nice

I am currently planning on moving 2 of my dogs from the US to the UK. The UK requires you to transport all pets in cargo that are entering the country and then they charge exorbitant "landing fees" to process the pets. I find it's easier and MUCH cheaper to fly my pets into France (my smallest will fly in the cabin with me) and then I will hire a car and take the Eurotunnel to London.

But I agree with Windsong, no matter which way you do it the paper work isn't as intimidating as it seems at first and it's easily doable on your own.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 2:15 pm
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mayb
I am currently planning on moving 2 of my dogs from the US to the UK. The UK requires you to transport all pets in cargo that are entering the country and then they charge exorbitant "landing fees" to process the pets. I find it's easier and MUCH cheaper to fly my pets into France (my smallest will fly in the cabin with me) and then I will hire a car and take the Eurotunnel to London.

But I agree with Windsong, no matter which way you do it the paper work isn't as intimidating as it seems at first and it's easily doable on your own.
Airlines from Australia and NewZealand don't fly pets in the cabin.

(Thank goodness. 24 hours next to a cat to which i am allergic could be a serious health issue)
Old Feb 4th 2016, 2:37 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I find it's easier and MUCH cheaper to fly my pets into France (my smallest will fly in the cabin with me) and then I will hire a car and take the Eurotunnel to London.
Hi from the France forum! I was browsing around and your post caught my attention...
Have you already made enquiries about hiring a car from Paris to London? and with dogs?
There have been a few threads on the France forum in the past, where pet owners wanted to pass through CdG and, as far as I remember, it wasn't possible to hire a car to go over/under the Channel. Not only that, but there are vetinerary requirements to comply with between arriving in Paris and leaving France.
Reglementation voyage des animaux - Eurotunnel le Shuttle
and
https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad
give info on pets travelling to the UK.
If you enquire on the France forum, members more in the know will have up-to-date info on the possibility of hiring a car to get to the UK.
In the other threads, the posters were advised to get some one to come over to France to take them and their pets back to the UK with them, but they had the problem of getting from the Airport to the coast by public transport, with luggage and pets in tow, not to mention the visit to a Vet on the coast for the tapeworm treatment within the set time.
Fore-warned is fore-armed!
Old Feb 5th 2016, 12:28 pm
Forum Regular

ohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to allohdearydear is a name known to all

We moved two small dogs from Wellington to Heathrow. We used the export company at Wellington Airport who were fabulous (VenturePet?). We left earlier than them and the dogs were collected from kennels the day before flying for health checks to be completed in time. They shared a crate (split in two) which kept the cost down slightly. They do provide a crate though and can provide quotes by email if you provide the size of your cat to them.
Old Feb 5th 2016, 1:42 pm
Forum Regular

mayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nicemayb is just really nice

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi from the France forum! I was browsing around and your post caught my attention...
Have you already made enquiries about hiring a car from Paris to London? and with dogs?
There have been a few threads on the France forum in the past, where pet owners wanted to pass through CdG and, as far as I remember, it wasn't possible to hire a car to go over/under the Channel. Not only that, but there are vetinerary requirements to comply with between arriving in Paris and leaving France.
Reglementation voyage des animaux - Eurotunnel le Shuttle
and
https://www.gov.uk/take-pet-abroad
give info on pets travelling to the UK.
If you enquire on the France forum, members more in the know will have up-to-date info on the possibility of hiring a car to get to the UK.
In the other threads, the posters were advised to get some one to come over to France to take them and their pets back to the UK with them, but they had the problem of getting from the Airport to the coast by public transport, with luggage and pets in tow, not to mention the visit to a Vet on the coast for the tapeworm treatment within the set time.
Fore-warned is fore-armed!
Thanks! Look at me going around giving bad advice!

I have actually taken a train from Paris to Calais with my pet where we then hired a taxi and got over to the UK by ferry. It can be a bit much if you have too much luggage.

I really appreciate you bringing the tape worm treatment to my attention, I was totally unaware of that requirement, I don't think it existed last time, I'll have to take a more in depth look at that! The good news is I'm taking them to their US vet 2 days before departure and driving their health certificate straight to the USDA office immediately after so any treatments they get should be within the 5 day window frame.

Man, as if an international move isn't stressful enough!
Old Feb 5th 2016, 3:50 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

I have actually taken a train from Paris to Calais with my pet where we then hired a taxi and got over to the UK by ferry. It can be a bit much if you have too much luggage.
Man, as if an international move isn't stressful enough!
Just to be the Devil's Advocate, it isn't possible (now) to take a pet on the ferry if you're a foot passenger. There's also the problem of getting from CdG to the Gare du Nord (dogs not allowed in the RER and some taxis refuse to accept them).
Re the Certificate from your US Vet, I suspect that you'd still have to get a French Vet to endorse it before you leave France, even if he doesn't actually give the treatment. Something to check on before you make travel arrangements!
Wouldn't it be simpler and less stressful for all concerned, albeit more expensive, for your dogs to fly direct to Heathrow?
All the best, and if you do pass via France, post on the France forum to say how you got on! Always useful for other expats returning to the UK with their pets....
Old Feb 8th 2016, 6:15 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Just to be the Devil's Advocate, it isn't possible (now) to take a pet on the ferry if you're a foot passenger. There's also the problem of getting from CdG to the Gare du Nord (dogs not allowed in the RER and some taxis refuse to accept them).
Re the Certificate from your US Vet, I suspect that you'd still have to get a French Vet to endorse it before you leave France, even if he doesn't actually give the treatment. Something to check on before you make travel arrangements!
Wouldn't it be simpler and less stressful for all concerned, albeit more expensive, for your dogs to fly direct to Heathrow?
All the best, and if you do pass via France, post on the France forum to say how you got on! Always useful for other expats returning to the UK with their pets....
Thanks for taking the time to help me see this from every different angle! I did read it's not possible for foot passengers to bring pets over by ferry. My husband and I have worked out that he is going to fly ahead of me into the UK and he will hire a car and come pick the dogs and me up at the airport in France and we will drive back to London.

My vet is currently looking into the requirements to go from France to the UK, I will have to ask around on the France forum to see if anyone has any advice!

Also, it would be much less of a headache to fly straight into heathrow but my littlest dog has a heart condition and cannot be put into cargo so alas we must do this the long way! I'll definitely post my experience once it's all done!
Old Feb 8th 2016, 6:45 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pollyana
..... Thank goodness. 24 hours next to a cat to which i am allergic could be a serious health issue.
I agree 110%. I would only fly on an airline that allows pets in the cabin as the very last resort, and I am not allergic to them and like cats and dogs.

The thought of a dog or cat peeing, crapping, or vomiting during the flight, or yapping or howling, never mind someone getting an alergy attack, revolts me. Thanks to the ventilation system the smallest odours are amplified and circulated thoughout the cabin.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 9:54 pm
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

and he will hire a car and come pick the dogs and me up at the airport in France and we will drive back to London.
From other threads, I understand that it's not possible to hire a car from the UK to France either. It's something you should check before making your travel arrangements. The example I gave was a private car.
I think your Vet will find the same info as given in the French Customs link
Voyage : venir en France avec mon animal de compagnie
giving the reference of the document that your Vet must fill in for French Customs.
Come onto the France forum to ask about hiring a car across/under the Channel and back, and some one may be able to confirm that, despite passage through the French Customs at CdG with your Vet's Certificate, you'll still have to see a French Vet somewhere between CdG and Calais within the time frame.
Old Feb 8th 2016, 10:01 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
From other threads, I understand that it's not possible to hire a car from the UK to France either. It's something you should check before making your travel arrangements. ....
Of course it is, though not all rental companies will do it, and there will likely be an additional fee involved. I have rented a vehicle in the UK on two occasions and driven it across Europe.
Old Feb 9th 2016, 6:32 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Of course it is, though not all rental companies will do it, and there will likely be an additional fee involved. I have rented a vehicle in the UK on two occasions and driven it across Europe.
Fair enough, I was just going by threads in the past, and suggested that mayb asks on the France forum....
@mayb From a practical point of view, would your small dog be counted as cabin luggage in a travel bag/box stacked in the enclosed rack? Surely he/she wouldn't be allowed to sit on your lap or run around?
Old Feb 9th 2016, 6:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dmu
Fair enough, I was just going by threads in the past, and suggested that mayb asks on the France forum....
@mayb From a practical point of view, would your small dog be counted as cabin luggage in a travel bag/box stacked in the enclosed rack? Surely he/she wouldn't be allowed to sit on your lap or run around?
I've looked into the car rental thing and it definitely seems possible. If worse comes to worse my husband will just have to drive down from Scotland but hopefully it won't come to that!

And as far as my dog in the cabin goes he will have to stay in his small crate at my feet.

It does seem that I will have to see a vet in France for the tapeworm treatment unless I have my vet administer it the day we fly out and we drive straight to the UK after landing in Paris but that seems to be cutting it a little too close.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.