Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Self packing - alert ! Is this true ?

Wikiposts

Self packing - alert ! Is this true ?

Old Oct 31st 2008, 11:18 am
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self packing - alert ! Is this true ?

We self packed and we cut the lock off the container ourselves when it arrived here in Wales. Customs never even looked inside. This is the first I have ever heard of this rumor. It sounds like the moving company is yanking your chain to get a bit more money out of you for packing.

The only drawbacks to self packing are.......1. You have to do all the work....and 2. The only insurance you can get is usually only coverage for your container falling off the ship.....ie.....they won't cover you for any breakages enroute.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:23 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

I'm in the middle of slapping myself on the forehead about this too.

I self-packed thinking it was going to be a lot cheaper, and now that I am getting the quotes in, I am finding that:

a) it's not always that much cheaper
b) it's much more tricky to get insurance on self-packed stuff!

On a) I only have myself to blame but it's done now. On b), I hope it should be OK. At this point, I am not too worried about damage (I packed it all on the expectation it was going to be thrown around), but I am worried about theft/loss (esp bc I am doing a less-than-container move).

Some policies are a bit ambiguous about whether "total loss" would apply to a whole load, or just total loss of a single box. I think the chances of our ship sinking are pretty low, but the chances of the box marked "laptops" being snatched by a light-fingered ruffian are much higher.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

miss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant future

The discount I was offerred for self packing was only $250 - hardly seems worth the effort when you work out the hourly rate !
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:16 am
Forum Regular

Millie11 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by miss piggy
The discount I was offerred for self packing was only $250 - hardly seems worth the effort when you work out the hourly rate !
$250! I thought it would have been much cheaper When it's our turn we will let the packers do it. Hate packing anyway and since the saving is so pityful might aswell let somebody else do it.

Happy to see that you are busy moving back What about DH is he coming with you now or later?
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

miss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant futuremiss piggy has a brilliant future

He's going to come on later - though with the problems in the finance world at the moment have no idea how much later that will be There's really no good way of doing this though with kids in the UK & only possible work currently in Oz.

Just booked the dogs flight - all getting scarily imminent now & I am only just beginning to realise the magnitude of what I am doing.......
Old Nov 12th 2008, 11:14 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by miss piggy
He's going to come on later - though with the problems in the finance world at the moment have no idea how much later that will be There's really no good way of doing this though with kids in the UK & only possible work currently in Oz.

Just booked the dogs flight - all getting scarily imminent now & I am only just beginning to realise the magnitude of what I am doing.......
Just wanted to say good luck. My wife and daughter moved back in June, and I will finally move back in 11 days. Its tough, but for us, we wanted to get Jasmin settled back into a UK school. I hoped to get transferred with work back to Uk, but due to all the cut backs etc, this is no longer going to happen. Whilst I could carry on here, 6 months has been long enough.

Its good to keep the money coming in for a while, and certainly helps with renatls etc, as one of you has a salary (even though its in a different country). However, I would say, set yourself an end date; so you have something to focus on.

Pete

(Bought the car as a treat, cause my DW deserved it )
Old Nov 12th 2008, 11:17 am
Account Open

asprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond reputeasprilla has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by deborahjane
After looking at some of the letters we decided to double check about the self packing just to be 100% sure and telephoned the British company that moved us to Perth originally for some advice on own packing. They are a great company that deal with thousands of people coming to and from the UK every year.

We asked them about own packing and the pitfalls. They phoned a department that deals with Customs in the UK for us and gave us a call back.

We have been informed that Customs do not specially segregate containers packed by owners and treat all containers the same whether packed by the removal company or not.

Customs do like detailed lists from customers and numbered boxes so they know exactly what should be in each box. So it is a very good idea if self packing to organise and do this really well. Make sure all the boxes are numbered and give as much detail as you can about what is in the box. We have a lot of our boxes already packed, numbered and put on a list with details of what is in each box so we are quite happy to leave them like this and carry on packing ourselves!

The better the job you do of this makes it easy for Customs to see what you have in each box and they won't be bothered about going through everything.

The man we spoke to said Aussie companies here are talking a load of codswollop and out to make more money!

We are quite happy now to carry on packing!

Remember to paint your garden tools etc and spray them if you can to make them nice and clean! They will like that.

Also bear in mind if you self pack then you will self unpack at the other end!
great post.

I am wondering, has anyone investigated the possibility of cutting out the middle man and simply loading the shipping container yourself? Wouldn't this cut several thousand $$$ off the cost?

I guess you would need to hire a removal van and do lots of heavy lifting yourself. Probably not worth it, the more I think about it....
Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:40 pm
Account Closed

deborahjane is an unknown quantity at this point

Chess has knocked off $500 for us self packing.