Self Load Containers

Old Feb 3rd 2010, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Shaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to all
Thumbs up Self Load Containers

Hi

I'd just like to share something with you all ref shipping containers back to the UK.

Most of you will probably know about them but I'm new to it!

On moving out to Aus (from Belfast) we used Pickfords so decided to get a quote for our return, $9,900 was what it was...so I got another from Kent Removals in Perth, $7,500. (20ft)

Then I started looking into 20ft Self Load Containers, got a quote (to Belfast) for $4000. (Door to Door)

They dropped it off at the house, very pleasant driver too, we packed it, took about 4/5 hrs, I gave them a ring to collect it and it was picked up again that day (we were on a tight schedule)....No dramas whatsoever!

I emailed a list of basically what I could remember went into the container and I'm now just waiting on the invoice to pay them. It was also booked onto a ship for this week.

I recieved very friendly service from start to finish and have no complaints.

I'm just hoping it gets there now..... But what a saving eh just for a few hours work!

We also put in some beer so whatever mate helps unpack it can help drink the beer

Cheers
Shaz
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 3:22 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Self Load Containers

Sounds like a deal.
My solution, pack a couple of suitcases and send the rest to the charity shops.
Old Feb 3rd 2010, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shaz&Dee
Hi

I'd just like to share something with you all ref shipping containers back to the UK.

Most of you will probably know about them but I'm new to it!

On moving out to Aus (from Belfast) we used Pickfords so decided to get a quote for our return, $9,900 was what it was...so I got another from Kent Removals in Perth, $7,500. (20ft)

Then I started looking into 20ft Self Load Containers, got a quote (to Belfast) for $4000. (Door to Door)

They dropped it off at the house, very pleasant driver too, we packed it, took about 4/5 hrs, I gave them a ring to collect it and it was picked up again that day (we were on a tight schedule)....No dramas whatsoever!

I emailed a list of basically what I could remember went into the container and I'm now just waiting on the invoice to pay them. It was also booked onto a ship for this week.

I recieved very friendly service from start to finish and have no complaints.

I'm just hoping it gets there now..... But what a saving eh just for a few hours work!

We also put in some beer so whatever mate helps unpack it can help drink the beer

Cheers
Shaz
Hi I looked into this as a neighbour did this last year...they took a week to pack their container..lol..but on a thread here when I mentioned this way of shipping a reply said that if you did this you could not get insurance for your items as you had pack them yourself and you had to have a detailed list of everything you packed....was it like that for you?...good luck and hope all arrives safely..
Old Feb 4th 2010, 1:11 am
Forum Regular

Shaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to allShaz&Dee is a name known to all

Hi there
The Salvos got quite a bit trust me lol

We never took out insurance the first time around so wasn't going to this time either. All I sent was a wordpad doc with everything I thought was in the container and a price beside each item. It wasn't detailed and I did remember a few extra things I'd frogot to add after it had all went through.

I think we could've had the container for as long as we'd wanted but as I said we were on a tight schedule with our settlement date for the house etc.

So it was all systems go and sometimes hard going in 40 degree heat! But I'm glad we done it and I hope it works for us

I'll let you know when or IF it arrives in one piece!

Cheers
Shaz
Old Feb 4th 2010, 4:31 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Hi there
The Salvos got quite a bit trust me lol

We never took out insurance the first time around so wasn't going to this time either. All I sent was a wordpad doc with everything I thought was in the container and a price beside each item. It wasn't detailed and I did remember a few extra things I'd frogot to add after it had all went through.

I think we could've had the container for as long as we'd wanted but as I said we were on a tight schedule with our settlement date for the house etc.

So it was all systems go and sometimes hard going in 40 degree heat! But I'm glad we done it and I hope it works for us

I'll let you know when or IF it arrives in one piece!

Cheers
Shaz

Thanks for that I will look into it then..we had insurance when we came out and there was damage to a couple of times and the insurance was useless...could you send the name of the company?

All the best I am sure it will be fine..you need a medal...40% heat...just walked the dog around the park and that was bad enough..lol.
Old Feb 4th 2010, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

Originally Posted by brits1
Hi I looked into this as a neighbour did this last year...they took a week to pack their container..lol..but on a thread here when I mentioned this way of shipping a reply said that if you did this you could not get insurance for your items as you had pack them yourself and you had to have a detailed list of everything you packed....was it like that for you?...good luck and hope all arrives safely..

you can get insurance, but you will not be covered for breakages as it's been self packed,still better to ensure against theft, or, god forbid,loss of container.
you will need to prepare yourself for your container being xrayed on arrival at uk port,if i remember right this cost me £120.00,not all are done though.

as quoted above you do have to have a detailed list of all that is in container.
having said that it's not too bad i.e. 6 boxes of toys,2 bicycles,10 boxes of clothes,3 boxes of kitchen items,3 guitars etc,etc, you get my drift....
Old Feb 4th 2010, 10:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fitz
you can get insurance, but you will not be covered for breakages as it's been self packed,still better to ensure against theft, or, god forbid,loss of container.
you will need to prepare yourself for your container being xrayed on arrival at uk port,if i remember right this cost me £120.00,not all are done though.

as quoted above you do have to have a detailed list of all that is in container.
having said that it's not too bad i.e. 6 boxes of toys,2 bicycles,10 boxes of clothes,3 boxes of kitchen items,3 guitars etc,etc, you get my drift....
Great, thanks for the info. can I ask which company you used?
Old Feb 5th 2010, 2:58 am
Forum Regular

Hi there

The company was Icon Freight Services, they are based in Fremantle. Their number is 94331400.

As the OP says the detailed list was exactly like that i.e. 2 bikes, 15 boxes etc, pretty simply even for me lol

I will post again on this thread and tell you how everything has went, up's or down's!

Good Luck
Shaz
Old Feb 5th 2010, 8:58 am
BE Forum Addict

Hi there

The company was Icon Freight Services, they are based in Fremantle. Their number is 94331400.

As the OP says the detailed list was exactly like that i.e. 2 bikes, 15 boxes etc, pretty simply even for me lol

I will post again on this thread and tell you how everything has went, up's or down's!

Good Luck
Shaz
Cheers Shaz I will give them a call, good luck with everthing hope all goes well.
Old Feb 5th 2010, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

fitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to allfitz is a name known to all

Great, thanks for the info. can I ask which company you used?

transmarine shipping ---freemantle

oh!!!!! and one other thing.
when your container is delivered to you in the uk it's on the back of a big lorry,they don't have the small hydraulic lifts that the lorries in oz have.
possibly two problems here,,will a big lorry be able to park and unload in your street and you will also have to unload container at height rather than ground level.

hope this helps...
Old Feb 5th 2010, 10:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fitz
transmarine shipping ---freemantle

oh!!!!! and one other thing.
when your container is delivered to you in the uk it's on the back of a big lorry,they don't have the small hydraulic lifts that the lorries in oz have.
possibly two problems here,,will a big lorry be able to park and unload in your street and you will also have to unload container at height rather than ground level.

hope this helps...
Thanks, that might be a problem as the area we are returning to are all mainly small Avenues etc.....plus it will be hard enough to load and unload some items even if they did have a lift let alone if they do not a lift...that is ofcourse unless superman/ironman etc come to the rescue..lol...I wish..
Old Feb 5th 2010, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

ruthmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks, that might be a problem as the area we are returning to are all mainly small Avenues etc.....plus it will be hard enough to load and unload some items even if they did have a lift let alone if they do not a lift...that is ofcourse unless superman/ironman etc come to the rescue..lol...I wish..
We just did this. You'll need quite a bit of space for the lorry to park roadside. The container was on the truck, about five feet off the ground. Everything had to be manhandled out. It was VERY hard work unloading the thing. It took three of us just over two hours to unload a full 20 foot container, including quite a few pieces of heavy furniture.

BTW, the driver is not usually paid to help you unload, unless you have a prior agreement with the trucking company. If I had to do it again, I would definitely gather together as many people as possible to help.

The upside: once it's done, it's done, and you'll never (I hope) have to do it again. Oh, and it was great to see all our belongings again.

Good luck!
ruthmac
Old Feb 6th 2010, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by ruthmac
We just did this. You'll need quite a bit of space for the lorry to park roadside. The container was on the truck, about five feet off the ground. Everything had to be manhandled out. It was VERY hard work unloading the thing. It took three of us just over two hours to unload a full 20 foot container, including quite a few pieces of heavy furniture.

BTW, the driver is not usually paid to help you unload, unless you have a prior agreement with the trucking company. If I had to do it again, I would definitely gather together as many people as possible to help.

The upside: once it's done, it's done, and you'll never (I hope) have to do it again. Oh, and it was great to see all our belongings again.

Good luck!
ruthmac
Thanks....it sounds all good...not sure thought if I will use this type of shipping as we have no clue where our rental will be as there are not many rentals where we want to live....so another thing to maybe stress about lol just not what I want or need at the moment..lol....it is good once you have your belongings though....now you can settle and get on with your lives...best wishes for the future..
Old Feb 6th 2010, 9:15 am
Forum Regular

Thanks....it sounds all good...not sure thought if I will use this type of shipping as we have no clue where our rental will be as there are not many rentals where we want to live....so another thing to maybe stress about lol just not what I want or need at the moment..lol....it is good once you have your belongings though....now you can settle and get on with your lives...best wishes for the future..
i'm not sure how other shipping companies work,but i would have thought that Crown,Pickfords would similarly deliver the container to your door,i could be wrong.
i had a forty foot container with a car in it,what i did was to have the container delivered to a local storage area where your container is unloaded into antother container, you can then unload at your leasure,you can hire the storage containers daily.
the OP was right when saying that the lorry driver is not obliged to help you.
Old Mar 4th 2010, 3:57 pm
Just Joined

garywright is an unknown quantity at this point

hi im hoping to do the same 40' container all the furniture of a 4bed house plus a car,from canada to felixstowe port england cost is about $7500 from global pack n ship ,

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.