Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

secondary school appeal now ...bit fed up !

secondary school appeal now ...bit fed up !

Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:13 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold
Default secondary school appeal now ...bit fed up !

I didn't give much thought that the local school we had thought DS12 would attend could be over-subscribed

Silly of me ,but there you go ...

I have been told that we will be given an appeal ,that just makes me fed up and nervous, and not want to move back home .

Apparently he will be given transport to the next nearest school while we appeal ?

This makes me very sad for DS ,first to have to leave home and his American life -then to be flung in to a totally new school further away...

Thank you for hearing my vent ,any help would be gratefully received

Last edited by Gabgoeshome; Jan 9th 2011 at 1:15 am.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 1:47 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: secondary school appeal now ...bit fed up !

Maybe by the time you finally do get home there will be a place in his year.
I didn't think they let you apply from abroad.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:07 am
BE Enthusiast

Gabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to beholdGabgoeshome is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
Maybe by the time you finally do get home there will be a place in his year.
I didn't think they let you apply from abroad.
No, they are not (letting us apply )

I have my step -Mum on the case, my brother is just 14 and in the system still.

You are right,at this point I can not apply formally. I can fill out forms at this stage in prep for October apparently though -no guarantees obviously .

I just googled the alternative school ,it does not look *that * bad ,but I am in worrying mode today !

I don't want my 'baby' sent all over the place ...
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:30 am
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gabgoeshome
I don't want my 'baby' sent all over the place ...
Yeah I know what you mean.
We are still aiming for 2012 and Dd will be 7 and the village school is small so they should have room, but I'm torn, they have to have a certain level of Welsh which they usually attain in Reception and year 1, she may be shuttled off to the school where they do the catch up before being allowed in the village school, they even transport them over there for you. But still I'm tempted to put her in the school Dh and I went to, no Welsh needed but it's 10 minutes away and no transportation so we'd have to do the school run by car.
Old Jan 9th 2011, 2:53 am
BE Enthusiast

We are still aiming for 2012 and Dd will be 7 and the village school is small so they should have room, but I'm torn, they have to have a certain level of Welsh which they usually attain in Reception and year 1, she may be shuttled off to the school where they do the catch up before being allowed in the village school, they even transport them over there for you. But still I'm tempted to put her in the school Dh and I went to, no Welsh needed but it's 10 minutes away and no transportation so we'd have to do the school run by car.
How interesting ...I must have totally missed that you are going home to Wales

Yes,I would be tempted to send her to the same school you both went to also,10 mins is not that far -I am assuming the traffic would be not too bad ???

Our problem is is that we have no idea how much money we will return with ?,if we will ever be able to buy again ?
So even though I really want that school (highest Ofsted report ) we could end up in a neighboring village anyway lol !

Then ...maybe having to move poor old (then 8 ) DS ,who already has to skip 2 age groups cos of his August birthday and starting here in the US .

My DD is just 2 ,looks like she will escape with the least bruises lol !

Tough isn't it ?

I think it is a minefield moving home ...and is was not a picnic moving to the States as it was
Old Jan 9th 2011, 9:59 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat055 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok....Don't Panic !!!

We have recently returned from Australia (December 19th) and moved to Wiltshire, an area we didn't know and had no connections with.

For schooling (Jasmin aged 11, joining year 7), we looked through Ofsted for reviews and choose what we thought was to be the most appropiate school.

I emailled the school, and was informed that yes, they did have spaces, but these are managed by Wiltshire council, and not the school, therefore we need to contact the council and request a placement.

I emailled the council, saying that we were returning from Australia, and would like a place at school x, and that we were advised that a couple of places were available. Our address was not confirmed at this stage and we just stated that we would be renting witihin the area, however it was our intent to buy a property within the village and hence our application for the school. Within a few days we received a note from the council to say that Jasmin had been awarded a place. (This was during November)

Jump forward to our arrival, we finally get out of LOndon after having been caught up in all the snow chaos and drive to Wiltshire to a holiday cottage that we have rented. The cottage is lovely and the owner lives on site in the main barn. A few days after arrival, we are talking with the owner and saying that we have chosen school x because of its reports etc, she nods appropriately but I could see a hesitation. I asked for her opinion and we were duely enlightened

She indicated that her children went to a school in the local town, so off we went to have a drive by, and check it out.

The school looks impressive, so Jasmin and I, go for a wander, not expecting to see anyone as school term has finished. Anyway, we do come across some staff who are working and get taken into reception where I am able t talk with the office manager.

The office manager is a lovely lady who informs me that the school is oversubscribed and in Jasmin's year group there are already 4 students too many. We spoke for a little while and she asked Jasmin about schooling in Australia. Jasmin indicated that she had been learning Chinese and was House Captain etc (alll the good stuff ) The office manager then said that we should still contact Wiltshire council and explain our desire for Jasmin to attend this school.

Back to the cottage, and called Wiltshire council. The office manager had already called them, so they were waiting for the call. They indicated that as the school was a foundation staus, they (the council) could not insist on the school taking us, and it would be upto the school. Further emails to the office manager and it is confirmed that it is up to the Year head, to determine whether he will take one more. By now we are feeling the office manager is on our side as she is very helpful in who to talk too, and when.

The school reopened on the 4th (teacher training day) we hold our nerve, as we do not want to start Jasmin at the other school and then move her. Wednesday morning we get the call, Jasmin has a place and would we like to come and do the school tour

So now its Sunday, 3 weeks after our arrival, and Jasmin starts school tomorrow. We are very happy. The school ranks very high in the country having had 4 outstanding Ofsted inspections.

For you, Don't panic!! Try and push when you get here, they have to provide a provision and hopefully you will get what you seek. Applying from abroad is nice, in that you have some certainty, but doesn't give you the same leverage as being on the ground.

Good luck

Peter

(Sorry for the ramble, was just going to write a short note.)
Old Jan 25th 2011, 5:15 am
Forum Regular

Sazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the rough

My I ask what area the school is in? I have been looking into schools in Wiltshire as this county still seems affordable with lots of access to beautiful countryside which my OH really misses (living in Canada).

I would also really appreciate any advice on good towns or villages to look at. I have two sporty boys age 8 and 10. Like a few other people on this forum my OH and I are finding it hard to make a final decision whether or not to return to the UK even for a couple of years.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ValeSpark
Ok....Don't Panic !!!

We have recently returned from Australia (December 19th) and moved to Wiltshire, an area we didn't know and had no connections with.

For schooling (Jasmin aged 11, joining year 7), we looked through Ofsted for reviews and choose what we thought was to be the most appropiate school.

I emailled the school, and was informed that yes, they did have spaces, but these are managed by Wiltshire council, and not the school, therefore we need to contact the council and request a placement.

I emailled the council, saying that we were returning from Australia, and would like a place at school x, and that we were advised that a couple of places were available. Our address was not confirmed at this stage and we just stated that we would be renting witihin the area, however it was our intent to buy a property within the village and hence our application for the school. Within a few days we received a note from the council to say that Jasmin had been awarded a place. (This was during November)

Jump forward to our arrival, we finally get out of LOndon after having been caught up in all the snow chaos and drive to Wiltshire to a holiday cottage that we have rented. The cottage is lovely and the owner lives on site in the main barn. A few days after arrival, we are talking with the owner and saying that we have chosen school x because of its reports etc, she nods appropriately but I could see a hesitation. I asked for her opinion and we were duely enlightened

She indicated that her children went to a school in the local town, so off we went to have a drive by, and check it out.

The school looks impressive, so Jasmin and I, go for a wander, not expecting to see anyone as school term has finished. Anyway, we do come across some staff who are working and get taken into reception where I am able t talk with the office manager.

The office manager is a lovely lady who informs me that the school is oversubscribed and in Jasmin's year group there are already 4 students too many. We spoke for a little while and she asked Jasmin about schooling in Australia. Jasmin indicated that she had been learning Chinese and was House Captain etc (alll the good stuff ) The office manager then said that we should still contact Wiltshire council and explain our desire for Jasmin to attend this school.

Back to the cottage, and called Wiltshire council. The office manager had already called them, so they were waiting for the call. They indicated that as the school was a foundation staus, they (the council) could not insist on the school taking us, and it would be upto the school. Further emails to the office manager and it is confirmed that it is up to the Year head, to determine whether he will take one more. By now we are feeling the office manager is on our side as she is very helpful in who to talk too, and when.

The school reopened on the 4th (teacher training day) we hold our nerve, as we do not want to start Jasmin at the other school and then move her. Wednesday morning we get the call, Jasmin has a place and would we like to come and do the school tour

So now its Sunday, 3 weeks after our arrival, and Jasmin starts school tomorrow. We are very happy. The school ranks very high in the country having had 4 outstanding Ofsted inspections.

For you, Don't panic!! Try and push when you get here, they have to provide a provision and hopefully you will get what you seek. Applying from abroad is nice, in that you have some certainty, but doesn't give you the same leverage as being on the ground.

Good luck

Peter

(Sorry for the ramble, was just going to write a short note.)
Well done and I know just what a relief it is to have your children settled...ours are older but still were enrolling into education here in England...we did all the ofsted reports etc and our youngest is at a college we did not even "look at" but the locals all approved of it.....and sometimes local/verbal recommendations are better than reports needless to say the college is a very good one anyway and our son is happy and thats the main thing.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:31 am
Account Closed

The school is in Chippenham. There are a number of outstanding Ofsted schools in this area. Have a look on the Ofsted website for details. We are loving Wiltshire, fantastic countryside and still easy access to motorway network.

What are you looking for from a village?? They come in all sizes from just a few houses, through to small centres with a couple of shops, a primary school etc. We are in North Wiltshire, but round here you have Lacock, Biddestone, Derry Hill and lots of others
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:32 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by brits1
Well done and I know just what a relief it is to have your children settled...ours are older but still were enrolling into education here in England...we did all the ofsted reports etc and our youngest is at a college we did not even "look at" but the locals all approved of it.....and sometimes local/verbal recommendations are better than reports needless to say the college is a very good one anyway and our son is happy and thats the main thing.
Local information is a wonderful thing. Glad your son is happy.

Peter
Old Jan 25th 2011, 8:51 am
Home Sweet Home

Beedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond reputeBeedubya has a reputation beyond repute

Welsh is very hard to learn as you get older, just to go off topic.

I bought a book called The Welsh Tutor and could not make head nor tail of it LOL!! My sister wanted to work with sheltered housing in Wales and had to learn Welsh, I think she lasted 4 or 5 weeks at evening college before crying off as it was toooo hard.

We both of us thought somehow that it would be genetically easier - WRONG LOL!!
Old Jan 25th 2011, 2:48 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Originally Posted by Beedubya
Welsh is very hard to learn as you get older, just to go off topic.

I bought a book called The Welsh Tutor and could not make head nor tail of it LOL!! My sister wanted to work with sheltered housing in Wales and had to learn Welsh, I think she lasted 4 or 5 weeks at evening college before crying off as it was toooo hard.

We both of us thought somehow that it would be genetically easier - WRONG LOL!!
Your right Dh and I grew up learning it in school and using it daily and yet we don't remember it well at all. We spoke a sort of Welglish same as here in California it's Spanglish.
Dd will only be 7 so we still don't know, 7 is still young enough.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 3:21 pm
Forum Regular

Sazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the roughSazzer is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by ValeSpark
The school is in Chippenham. There are a number of outstanding Ofsted schools in this area. Have a look on the Ofsted website for details. We are loving Wiltshire, fantastic countryside and still easy access to motorway network.

What are you looking for from a village?? They come in all sizes from just a few houses, through to small centres with a couple of shops, a primary school etc. We are in North Wiltshire, but round here you have Lacock, Biddestone, Derry Hill and lots of others
I've been looking at villages around Marlborough, especially Pewsey which seems like a good size village with lots of facilities (including a rugby club for the boys) drivable distance to Swindon for Ice Hockey (need to keep up youngest son ice hockey skills for when / if we go back) and trains station to London. Although Chippenham is beginning to sound like another alternative place. We need to be able to get to West Country (parents in Cornwall, Shropshire for in-laws and cousins in Hampshire.

Any other suggestions for villages or towns? I want my kids to go to a nice friendly school with sporting facilities. I'm not so worried about a high academic performance.
Old Jan 25th 2011, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Sazzer
I've been looking at villages around Marlborough, especially Pewsey which seems like a good size village with lots of facilities (including a rugby club for the boys) drivable distance to Swindon for Ice Hockey (need to keep up youngest son ice hockey skills for when / if we go back) and trains station to London. Although Chippenham is beginning to sound like another alternative place. We need to be able to get to West Country (parents in Cornwall, Shropshire for in-laws and cousins in Hampshire.

Any other suggestions for villages or towns? I want my kids to go to a nice friendly school with sporting facilities. I'm not so worried about a high academic performance.
Chippenham is on the main west coast line, which is one of its attractions. Some schools have multiple specialisms, i.e my daughters school has three, science, language and sport. Do a search on the school websites for an understanding of their culture and setup.