Scottish Borders?

Old Jun 8th 2009, 8:32 pm
Forum Regular

steppke is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scottish Borders?

Hello,

My husband and I are looking to move back home to the UK from California, Bay Area to be precise. We are interested in relocating to the Scottish Borders, Jedburgh looks interesting and we wondered if anyone on this forum had any thoughts to share about the region. We don't have any kids, have done the urban living thing and are looking for a more relaxed lifestyle. We would plan on buying an established business.

Thanks,

steppke
Old Jun 8th 2009, 8:43 pm
Just hanging around

Bevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond reputeBevm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scottish Borders?

Just that the climate would be a lot different. As long as that's not an issue, it's probably wonderful.

When I first joined here there was a man from southern CA who'd moved to Yorkshire with his Yorkshire wife and he was going crazy. Not just the climate, but it was a huge factor.

Anyone know what happened to him? He seemed sure he was heading back to the US, but I wasn't sure he'd consulted his wife.

Bev
Old Jun 9th 2009, 1:32 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steppke
Hello,

My husband and I are looking to move back home to the UK from California, Bay Area to be precise. We are interested in relocating to the Scottish Borders, Jedburgh looks interesting and we wondered if anyone on this forum had any thoughts to share about the region. We don't have any kids, have done the urban living thing and are looking for a more relaxed lifestyle. We would plan on buying an established business.

Thanks,

steppke

It really depends on how you want to live but the Scottish Borders are beautiful, especially The Trossachs (bit further up). Carlisle is right on the border and is a large town. Lots of abbeys and ruins to see.
Personally, I'g go a bit further up towards Fort William. That way you're not too isolated from the larger cities of Edinburgh and Inverness, which are popular.
On the borders and the lowlands you've got a mixture of locations, some aren't so nice. In my experience, the more towards the middle and higher up you go, the nicer the locals and life tends to be. That's if you want peace and solitude.
Does get dark early though and Winter lasts a long time.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 1:41 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by steppke
Hello,

Thanks,

steppke
It's a beautiful area, but relatively depressed economically. Woollen mills were a good chunk of the economic base but most have closed. Peebles is my favourite small town in that area, but Jedburgh is nice too. Plus, if you do want to go to a city, Edinburgh is pretty close by.
Old Jun 9th 2009, 8:22 am
Just Joined

burnbrae is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello, steppke
My wife and I moved to The Scottish Borders from the English Midlands about 15 years ago. We are very fortunate to be able to live here. It is a great place. There is a steady migration of people from England to here but it still has a low population. The towns are small and still function as communities with central shopping areas. The scenery is superb, the people friendly and helpful, always with time to spare for each other.
We purchased the house and other redundant buildings of a farm, together with over 30 acres of pasture. 5 years later, we created 4 holiday homes in the buildings and set up our holiday letting business Burnbrae Holidays. Helping others to enjoy a break in the Scottish Borders is rewarding. We liked the larger unit so much, we now use it as our residence and we sold the original farmhouse.
We are now looking at exit strategies. The business needs the drive of new proprietors, if the trend of improved performance is to be sustained.
If you have not yet experienced the Scottish Borders, I suggest you take a holiday here.
I am happy to pass on to you more thoughts, if this would help. The Burnbrae Holidays website has images of the scenery and links which may be of interest.
Best wishes, Sam
Old Jun 9th 2009, 8:56 pm
Forum Regular

steppke is an unknown quantity at this point

Many thanks to all who responded; the climate has definitely been a topic of discussion but my husband, the native californian, loves the more "temperate" climes and has lived in the UK before. My family are up in the Highlands so I have some idea of what to expect.

I think the next step is a trip to check out our options.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:46 am
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

as a born an bred borderer i have to say the economy has hurt the borders hard, and would say buying a business a good idea as people are selling up /going bust so could buy reasonable priced only if you could survive until a economic change.
it really is gods country.. and i hope to get back to visit friends and family next yr god willing.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 9:27 pm
Just Joined

burnbrae is an unknown quantity at this point

There are comments on prospects for economic development in the Scottish Borders, population and more at http://register.scotland.gov.uk/bulk...0&iid=10928998 .
Don't forget that the seasons offer a lot of variety. At this time of the year, it is still daylight outdoors at the time of writing - 22.22. Although the sun does set for an hour or 2, there is a light patch in the sky where it is just below the horizon. After twilight comes the dawn.
Sam
Old Jun 11th 2009, 7:21 am
Banned

cricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond reputecricket1again has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by burnbrae
There are comments on prospects for economic development in the Scottish Borders, population and more at http://register.scotland.gov.uk/bulk...0&iid=10928998 .
Don't forget that the seasons offer a lot of variety. At this time of the year, it is still daylight outdoors at the time of writing - 22.22. Although the sun does set for an hour or 2, there is a light patch in the sky where it is just below the horizon. After twilight comes the dawn.
Sam
Weren't the Highlands and Islands Development Board giving grants for anyone starting a business? They use to but I'm not sure if it's still the case. Worth asking about for anyone thinking of starting a business. I know there was a lot of encouragement for developing jobs and opportunities.
Speaking of which, what happened to Trumps plans to build up in Scotland?
Old Jun 11th 2009, 9:27 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

My Best man lives in Jedburgh its a nice little place. I know that it lacks a big supermarket any real shopping, I beleive they travel about 15mins to Gala for a bigger supermarket not sure about the other shopping.

I think it would be worth doing the travelling to live there and its about 45mins from Newcastle airport and an hour from Edinburgh.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 1:03 pm
Just Joined

stevan is an unknown quantity at this point

If you are looking to the tourist industry go further north.

If you want the quite life then it will be great. the economic climate is not great at the moment for a new venture. might be worth becoming a wage slave for a while before committing.
Old Jun 12th 2009, 7:44 pm
MJX
Just Joined

MJX will become famous soon enough

I'm from just outside Jed. I think, in all honesty, you'd have to be certifiably insane to move there from Cali.

Not much in the way of economic activity and not much in the way of culture and night life - in any of the main borders towns. Not really commutable to Edinburgh or Newcastle either, about an hour in either direction to the outskirts of both cities. The small local town centres are dying out quickly because everyone just drives to Gala or Hawick for supermarket (or the Coop in Jed) or Edinburgh / Newcastle for other stuff.

However, I still think it's a beautiful part of the world and if it was say, 30 minutes outside of Edinburgh I'd probably be looking for a nice house with no neighbours.

And - the Trossachs are nowhere near the Borders
Old Jun 13th 2009, 4:22 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MJX
I'm from just outside Jed. I think, in all honesty, you'd have to be certifiably insane to move there from Cali.

Not much in the way of economic activity and not much in the way of culture and night life - in any of the main borders towns. Not really commutable to Edinburgh or Newcastle either, about an hour in either direction to the outskirts of both cities. The small local town centres are dying out quickly because everyone just drives to Gala or Hawick for supermarket (or the Coop in Jed) or Edinburgh / Newcastle for other stuff.

However, I still think it's a beautiful part of the world and if it was say, 30 minutes outside of Edinburgh I'd probably be looking for a nice house with no neighbours.

And - the Trossachs are nowhere near the Borders
If you live in Australia and the nearest town is 200 miles away, the Trossachs are a stone's throw away from the Borders.
Old Jun 13th 2009, 6:34 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

Speaking of which, what happened to Trumps plans to build up in Scotland?[/QUOTE]

Its being built near Aberdeen.

Have a look on BBC News and click on UK
Click on Scotland
Click on choose a region
Click on North East,Orkney
Type in golf course Trump
Full page of whats been said and happening,last update 8th june?

We are moving to Morayshire (between Aberdeen and Inverness) when the house sells!!!!!
Old Jun 13th 2009, 6:47 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Giantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond reputeGiantaxe has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cricket1again
If you live in Australia and the nearest town is 200 miles away, the Trossachs are a stone's throw away from the Borders.
Then so is Birmingham

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.