Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Scotland versus England. Any extra benefits being Scottish?

Scotland versus England. Any extra benefits being Scottish?

Old Jul 24th 2018, 6:59 am
Just Joined

TinaU is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scotland versus England. Any extra benefits being Scottish?

Hi all!

So I'm planning to move to the UK next year with my two kids (10 and 5) from Bangladesh. Husband can only stay on tourist visa initially. I'm a university teacher by profession, and also worked in communications in corporate world. Willing to take up any work to get by. I have a soft spot for Scotland, as I was born there and lived there for 8 years. So would like to settle in any city. Some questions:
Q1: Will it be easier to settle in Scotland than England? I might be wrong, but England is much more competitive, isn't it?
Q2: Is there any advantage I can avail there being Scottish?
Q3: What kind of jobs can I look into considering I may have to take care of my kids on my own, do school runs (when hubby has to leave)
Q4: If I don't get any sort of job for a year or so, how do I manage life with two kids?
Q5: Which cities/towns should I look at, given my financial restraints?

Any input would be welcome
Old Jul 24th 2018, 10:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Scotland versus England. Any extra benefits being Scottish?

Originally Posted by TinaU
You might need to be more specific about your financial restraints - if you mean a restricted housing budget, then what sort of monthly figure do you have in mind and what do you want for it? Or do you mean a lower salary? If you can give people more info then they will be able to suggest areas that may suit your budgets etc.

And for future ref re: your other thread, you can't delete threads, only mods can. So in the future please just let us know about it (using the report button) and then we can delete a duplicate thread for you.

HTH.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 10:51 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all!

So I'm planning to move to the UK next year with my two kids (10 and 5) from Bangladesh. Husband can only stay on tourist visa initially. I'm a university teacher by profession, and also worked in communications in corporate world. Willing to take up any work to get by. I have a soft spot for Scotland, as I was born there and lived there for 8 years. So would like to settle in any city. Some questions:
Q1: Will it be easier to settle in Scotland than England? I might be wrong, but England is much more competitive, isn't it?
Q2: Is there any advantage I can avail there being Scottish?
Q3: What kind of jobs can I look into considering I may have to take care of my kids on my own, do school runs (when hubby has to leave)
Q4: If I don't get any sort of job for a year or so, how do I manage life with two kids?

Don't forget that in order to get you husband to the UK permanently then you would need a spouse visa which would mean YOU earning above £18,600 a year. Major differences between England and Scotland that might impact you is that, currently, Scottish Universities are free, no course fees unlike England, and that there are no prescription charges in Scotland.
Old Jul 24th 2018, 11:09 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

You don't seem to have a plan regarding your husband joining you in the UK. As mentioned you'll need to be earning at least £18,600 pa in order to sponsor him for a spouse visa. What's your motivation in moving back alone with your children?
Old Jul 24th 2018, 3:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all!

S

You would have to go onto welfare. For someone who is a university teacher and worked in communications in corporate world this is a somewhat strange question.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 5:51 am
Just Joined

Sorry for giving insufficient info. Given my background and age (I'm 42), I don't know how long it will take me to get a job that pay 18600 pounds or more. When I do, I plan to have my husband move in permanently on spouse visa. Till I get such a job, I am willing to work retail or any other type of job to earn whatever I can. On arrival, I will have have savings for roughly 3 months for food, housing, etc.

If I go on welfare, and supposing I get housing and child benefits, will retail income be enough for food, clothes and misc expenses like internet, mobile phone, etc? I wanted to get an idea of how hard life could get in the worst-case scenario.

However, I am determined to hash it out in the short-term to give my kids a better future in the long-term. It's difficult to raise kids here in Dhaka, where the pollution is really bad, food is all adulterated, there are no extra-curricular options, parks or playgrounds. So they are cooped up in the flat all day after school. Living in the UK, I hope to give them an education that opens up many avenues, let them do outdoor activities, eat healthy, and basically give them a better quality of life.

My husband is with me on this, and is willing to be separated from us for us long as it takes. He can work here and be able to send us 200-300 pounds a month, but I don't want to depend on that, as sending money abroad is not legally allowed here.

Hope this helps.
Old Jul 25th 2018, 4:26 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

On arrival, I will have have savings for roughly 3 months for food, housing, etc.
Just checking, but you now have more than your previous post? You mentioned £4k in that, which isn't anywhere near enough for a family of 3 to live off for 3 months, particularly when you're getting set up in the UK so have extra costs to meet and won't be eligible for any possible benefits for a while.
Old Jul 28th 2018, 11:54 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Moving to the UK with two children but with no job, accommodation or family to go to and only £4,000 in reserve sounds like a recipe for disaster I'm afraid. I appreciate Dhaka isn't doing much good for your children but it's better than being destitute in the UK. Finding employment for yourself should be your first step, even if that means initially moving back to the UK alone. Six months employment in the UK earning over £18,600 means you can then sponsor your husband for his spouse visa and your family can then join you in the UK.
Old Jul 29th 2018, 2:30 am
Just Joined

Hmm, thanks everyone. Seems I should start job-hunting right away, and if needed, go to the UK alone first to set things up.
Old Jul 31st 2018, 8:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

scot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond reputescot47 has a reputation beyond repute

You ask about Scotland. Can I suggest Greater Glasgow ? More opportunties of finding work and accommodation is cheaper than in many parts of the UK. Glasgow also has an ethnically diverse population. Not the case in smaller towns in Scotland. Edinburgh and Aberdeen are also worth considering.