Scotland

Old Oct 22nd 2006, 5:19 am
Just Joined

Antje & Basti is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scotland

Hi all,

Maybe we post this in the wrong forum. If so, sorry for it.

We think about settling from OZ to Europe or better to Scotland. We were there ones (2005) for holidays and really existed about the history, culture and beautiful landscape. But holidays are different from working and living in another country. We read several articles about living quality and although the UK has a low unemployement rate the living quality in the uk is rated lower than in Germany! Has someone made experiences in Scotland? How is the work life balance, the cost of living or why in hell has the uk a lower living quality than Germany and is Scotland different from the rest of the uk regarding the living quality? If yes, where are the differences? How easy is it to get a job in the finance or software developing area there?

Thanking in advance.

Best Regards

Antje & Basti
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 3:26 pm
Just Joined

marty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nicemarty&vonnie is just really nice
Default Re: Scotland

Hi

I'm trying to get out of Scotland! I think it depends on money I live in Glasgow and the property prices are off the wall here really expensive. If you have the money you can have an excellent quality of life.

If you move farther up north I know its cheaper and a better quality of life,

In saying that I am scottish born and bred and love my country but we're just looking for warmer climate and less stress email me if you have any othe questions

Vonnie x
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 3:37 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Antje & Basti]

I am from Edinburgh, probably one of the most beautiful and historic cities in the world IMHO. So many reasons for staying in Oz and not moving to Scotland as far as I am concerned. Don't get me wrong it is a lovely country with lovely people but just not for me.

Here's a few for not going to Scotland:

1. Aggressive and hostile people
2. Litter everywhere
3. Parks are usually glorified dogs toilets
4. Grim weather
5. Phenomenal house prices

And here's a few reasons for going to Scotland:

1. Some of the funniest and nicest people you could meet
2. Masses of history
3. Beautiful scenery
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 4:42 pm
Forum Regular

Heading home is an unknown quantity at this point

I come from Edinburgh and I think it is a fantastic place to live. If I only had myself to consider, I would be living there now. Here are some of the things I like about Edinburgh:

- lovely parks and gardens
- historic buildings
- easy access to the coast and to the countryside
- good public transport
- lots of things to do e.g. theatre, museums, art exhibitions
- good restaurants
- easy access by train or plane to the rest of the UK and Europe.

The down side of it being such a good place to live is that housing in Edinburgh, itself, is quite expensive.

Edinburgh is definitely not a place for sun lovers as it can get quite cold.

I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 4:51 pm
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Heading home
I come from Edinburgh and I think it is a fantastic place to live. If I only had myself to consider, I would be living there now. Here are some of the things I like about Edinburgh:

- lovely parks and gardens
- historic buildings
- easy access to the coast and to the countryside
- good public transport
- lots of things to do e.g. theatre, museums, art exhibitions
- good restaurants
- easy access by train or plane to the rest of the UK and Europe.

The down side of it being such a good place to live is that housing in Edinburgh, itself, is quite expensive.

Edinburgh is definitely not a place for sun lovers as it can get quite cold.

I wish you luck with whatever you decide to do.

Don't disagree with you on many points and tried to give a balanced view. I think Edinburgh is increasingly becoming a divided city of real haves and have nots. Parks are only nice is they are fenced or in wealthier areas, most parkland is filthy.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 5:11 pm
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by busterboy
3. Parks are usually glorified dogs toilets
Is this purely an Edinburgh phenomenon? My sister lives in Glasgow and during visits there (most recently July/August this year) we've found the parks near her to be pretty good. Not a dog egg in sight, in fact.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 5:24 pm
A rather curious boy

Originally Posted by elfman
Is this purely an Edinburgh phenomenon? My sister lives in Glasgow and during visits there (most recently July/August this year) we've found the parks near her to be pretty good. Not a dog egg in sight, in fact.

Sadly it appears to be a common phenomenon everywhere. In the end Scotland has its good and bad points. I still visit every two months and my parents and family and friends are still there. Has some good and bad points, just giving my view as asked, it was neither positive or negative...but for me, I would rather be in Oz. Maybe it is because familiarity breeds contempt and disillusionment sometimes.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

Heading home is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by busterboy
Parks are only nice is they are fenced or in wealthier areas, most parkland is filthy.
Sorry but I've got to disagree with you on this one. There may be parks like this but I've not noticed this being a problem in the ones I go to. Take the Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh, for example, they are beautiful and are free and open to everyone.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 7:40 pm
A rather curious boy

Originally Posted by Heading home
Sorry but I've got to disagree with you on this one. There may be parks like this but I've not noticed this being a problem in the ones I go to. Take the Botanic Gardens in Edinburgh, for example, they are beautiful and are free and open to everyone.

Yes they are also gated and refuse dogs...link perhaps????
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 8:42 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=busterboy]
Originally Posted by Antje & Basti

1. Aggressive and hostile people
Aggressive and hostile you say?

I find people in Scotland to be quite the opposite, they are soo friendly and make me feel so welcome that every time I go to Scotland it's like "going home"
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 5:22 am
who turned out the light?

Irn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond reputeIrn-bru has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Antje & Basti
Hi all,

Maybe we post this in the wrong forum. If so, sorry for it.

We think about settling from OZ to Europe or better to Scotland. We were there ones (2005) for holidays and really existed about the history, culture and beautiful landscape. But holidays are different from working and living in another country. We read several articles about living quality and although the UK has a low unemployement rate the living quality in the uk is rated lower than in Germany! Has someone made experiences in Scotland? How is the work life balance, the cost of living or why in hell has the uk a lower living quality than Germany and is Scotland different from the rest of the uk regarding the living quality? If yes, where are the differences? How easy is it to get a job in the finance or software developing area there?

Thanking in advance.

Best Regards

Antje & Basti
It so depends on what type of life do you want?
Urban or rural. Island or country?
How much money do you have for housing?
(all town and urban areas seem to have shot up)
the north is so different from everywhere, culturally etc.
The boarders (south) has it's own way.
The east coast though nice towns etc it definitely isn't the nicest scenery, that is on the NW and west.
I find most people visiting not living in Scotland seems to like the North more as it's beauty etc is stunning.

Edinburgh definitely has the culture side of it but is a nightmare with traffic and parking. Glasgow is more down to earth and has good museums but is also mixed (as is any major town) with it's run down side.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

Gibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond reputeGibbo has a reputation beyond repute

Edinburgh definitely has the culture side of it but is a nightmare with traffic and parking. Glasgow is more down to earth and has good museums but is also mixed (as is any major town) with it's run down side.[/QUOTE]

I was in Edinburgh in July and was shocked at the state of the North Bridges. It used to be a good shopping area and now is like a slum.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 9:48 am
A rather curious boy

[QUOTE=anabella]
Originally Posted by busterboy

Aggressive and hostile you say?

I find people in Scotland to be quite the opposite, they are soo friendly and make me feel so welcome that every time I go to Scotland it's like "going home"

READ THE FULL POST...it also says some of the nicest and funniest people you could wish to meet....it was aside to just one of the characteristics that can be noted in that city.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 12:57 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

I'm German and I can tell you a bit about Germany....just this morning when my daughters and me walked to the dentist, I noticed a real difference between here and Germany...the mess..the rubbish...the untidy front gardens....horrible net curtains...I could go on.
There are so many beautiful houses around, but most people seems to have no pride in the appearers of their house or garden...
There is one thing you would notice in Germany..no rubbish around in residential areas...lovely looked after front gardens and the window decorations are really nice...You have to go ones in a German florist..its gorgeous what they all sell..you just dont find it here...

Really a shame..it could be so nice were I live..
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 6:22 pm

anabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond reputeanabella has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with irnbru, my favourite part is the west coast and the trossachs but I don't know what it would be like to live there as it is quite rural

busterboy i wonder if that aggresivity that you refer to is related to drinking? though that seems to be common throughout the UK. I have met nothing but really kind/friendly/approachable people in Scotland and I am refering to both Edinburgh and the countryside. I've never been to Glasgow, I just never found it appealing but I've met people from there and they are also lovely, though their accent is very hard to understand at times.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.