Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Schools and equivalency Aus to UK

Schools and equivalency Aus to UK

Old Jul 16th 2019, 6:36 am
Just Joined

chlopo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Schools and equivalency Aus to UK

My daughter turned 10 in April and is in Grade 4 in Melbourne. She was quite shy and anxious at 4 so taking advantage of being able to delay schooling here made sense at the time. Were we to return to the UK, for her age she'd be looking at entering Year 6 in September.

Has anyone had similar experience? I am wondering how big the gap would be between levels, and whether schools offer much flexibility in terms of placement in year level in the UK. My worry is that here in Melbourne, variety in age in year levels is the norm whereas even if possible in the UK, it would make her stand out.

Thanks for any info
Old Jul 16th 2019, 10:02 am
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools and equivalency Aus to UK

Schools here I'm the UK have vast experience of students entering the education system here and coping with different levels in a class room, I am sure your daughter will be fine, both.our sons have moved from UK/Aus/Uk, both were quite shy at the time but are now confident and well educated young men. Good look and I wish you well with your decision, when it comes to our boys even now. I worry more than I should

​​​​
Old Jul 16th 2019, 11:56 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

I would seize the opportunity to place in your children in the school year appropriate to their age group before they enter secondary school. The jump from Year/Grade 5 to 6 isn’t nearly as great as the jump to Year 7.
Old Jul 26th 2019, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

tazmazian is an unknown quantity at this point

I know this thread is a few days old, but I wanted to say that we went through the same thing just over a year ago. Our daughter finished year 4 in Australia, and then arrived in the UK part way through year 5. We were worried that she would be behind the other children, but was in fact so far ahead that she was bored witless. She's just about to head into high school at 11, which I still think is too young, but the kids are ready for a bit of a challenge by then!