Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Schools admissions process

Schools admissions process

Old Aug 9th 2008, 9:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

nicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond reputenicola411 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Schools admissions process

Hi

We have contacted our local city council primary admissions who have advised me there is a place for my younger child in the school of my choice but not the older one(4 on the waiting list) but they may take him(older one) as the younger one will get a place. they have emailed me the admission forms which I have filled in posted,faxed and emailed over to the school. the school havent responded except an automatic email to say they are not back til the 1st of sept. Now do I book the flights before even speaking to the school? but am loath to do this until I have heard from the school and as they are on hols at the mo I am unlikely to hear.

the other thing is the flights are on the 6th of September and the school starts back on the 2nd. do you think the school will save my places once they have given them to me? Will the school definately give me one place even though I have the two kids as they have places????

I dont know what to do I know we need to get back but as yet the house isnt sold or rented???

I dont want to loose the place in the school for the little one either??

Any advice anyone??
Old Aug 9th 2008, 9:41 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Schools admissions process

Originally Posted by nicola411
Hi

We have contacted our local city council primary admissions who have advised me there is a place for my younger child in the school of my choice but not the older one(4 on the waiting list) but they may take him(older one) as the younger one will get a place. they have emailed me the admission forms which I have filled in posted,faxed and emailed over to the school. the school havent responded except an automatic email to say they are not back til the 1st of sept. Now do I book the flights before even speaking to the school? but am loath to do this until I have heard from the school and as they are on hols at the mo I am unlikely to hear.

the other thing is the flights are on the 6th of September and the school starts back on the 2nd. do you think the school will save my places once they have given them to me? Will the school definately give me one place even though I have the two kids as they have places????

I dont know what to do I know we need to get back but as yet the house isnt sold or rented???

Any advice anyone??
Based on my experience as a school governor I'd say that being # 4 on the waiting list is a pretty good place to be - but obviously there are no guarantees as it depends on the popularity of the school.

You have to make sure that you get the acceptance documents back to them by the deadline. If you will not be there for the start of term, you'd be wise to make special arrangements with the Head Teacher so as not to risk losing the place.
Old Aug 10th 2008, 11:24 am
Forum Regular

katu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nice

Phone the education department of the council and check with them exactly what you should do with regards to arriving a couple of days into the new school term.

Could you home educate your eldest child whilst you wait for a place to become available, if needs be?

katu
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:40 am
Forum Regular

AudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really niceAudsFrmSA is just really nice

Originally Posted by katu
Phone the education department of the council and check with them exactly what you should do with regards to arriving a couple of days into the new school term.

Could you home educate your eldest child whilst you wait for a place to become available, if needs be?

katu
I agree with Katu, home-educate until an opening comes up for your eldest child.
Old Aug 11th 2008, 6:50 am
Forum Regular

Location: Was Gold Coast, Australia... now living in Notts, UK
horrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to beholdhorrigans is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by nicola411

Any advice anyone??
I would book the flights - if you want to go back, then just sort out that date, don't worry about the school stuff - keep on ringing the education department to remind them you exist, have any 'promises' confirmed in writing and don't sweat a few days difference. If they've got a place, they've got a place - just get them to confirm it in writing. Moving from Aus to the UK is massive learning experience - your boys won't be missing out on any education. Moving countries is an education in itself!

Seriously though, try not to sweat it. We're having to do a bit of home ed with our Maddy because of moving (we'd got a place sorted for September, but we're moving again at the end of August), but I'd rather take time over getting her a place than stress start of term deadlines. We found that the process was different because we were attempting to sort out a place for Maddy during term time - but that it wasn't worse and she still got offered a place at the school we'd wanted.

Good luck! The end is in sight!!

Sarah