This Sceptred Isle

Old Apr 8th 2003, 6:19 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by sundarize
You're mad! Those pictures send a chill down my spine. The weather is typically British - miserable, grey and damn cold. Just look at the faces on the miserable sods in the pictures. You've been away too long, and youve got a distorted memory of what its like. The last time I went to Cardiff on business, I asked two old ladies at a bus stop where Debenhams was, and one of them replied "Why don't you f*@k off back to your own country?" Nice eh?
Take their advice if it's so miserable!
Old Apr 8th 2003, 6:26 am
BE Enthusiast

muppetking is on a distinguished road
Default Re: This Sceptred Isle

Originally posted by Amazonman
This sceptred Isle(I said sceptred not septic),

For those of you returning and to those leaving with all those nasty thoughts of what they have left behind.

Do you hanker for Bali, Hawaii, Majorca, St Lucia or Mustique I suppose you could add Sydney etc? Forget them all. you are already privileged to be living on quite simply the most beautiful Island on Earth, according to the 2003 edition of Lonely Planet.

Lonely Planet vouching for Britains astounding variety describes London as one of the truly great capitals. Tourists and Brits should get off the beaten track to discover newly rejuvenated cities beautiful countryside and magnificent coastlines. You can immerse yourself in history, marvel at majestic cathedrals, eat in world class restaurants or friendly local cafes, down a pint in a traditional pub, stroll through chocolate box villages, hike over wild moors, or dance all night in an ultra trendy club. And all in a country that takes about 12 hours to drive end to end.

Robin Young
The Times
March 26 2003

Ah I feel better already.

Just get a little fed up with peoples negative view of the UK.

We may be a small country and don't have cuddly looking marsupials roaming around our countryside but nevertheless we're an important part of the planet and although its probably not pc to say it I am proud to be British.

Welcome back to all those returning and good luck.
Coming from Brighton and having the Sussex Downs on the doorstep is magic. All those diverse places mentioned by other posters are great.....love the Gower coast, Cumbria, Cotswolds and Cairngorms. I get sick of being told by Kiwis that they live in the most beautiful place in the world! Rugged..yes, stunning...yes...more interesting than the UK? Never!
We (family) returned to the UK last year for 6 weeks and were overwhelmed by the friendliness of people. Cut the cliches about grey/miserable etc...it's boring to hear.
Old Apr 8th 2003, 6:40 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Location: Body is in Brissie. Heart and soul has long flown home.
Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

You're mad! Those pictures send a chill down my spine. The weather is typically British - miserable, grey and damn cold. Just look at the faces on the miserable sods in the pictures. You've been away too long, and youve got a distorted memory of what its like. The last time I went to Cardiff on business, I asked two old ladies at a bus stop where Debenhams was, and one of them replied "Why don't you f*@k off back to your own country?" Nice eh?
How polite of them- lol , our old are so polite, they are our rock! - Didn't they say
dos i chwarae efo dy nain ? (in so many words - go play with your granny and f off)

Makes me wonder what you said to them, or the manner you said it in - ie barging in to their conversation without an "excuse me" or, "sorry to bother you", or maybe they just personally did not like you for some reason.

Gawd I love our old people - PS a tip (I'm not joking!), never mess with old welsh ladies, the "mam" is much to be feared and respected.

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 8th 2003 at 7:04 am.
Old Apr 8th 2003, 10:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute

I didn't see any miserable sods in the pictures- I saw smiling faces. And I find it hard to believe that two old ladies would use that language- just count yourself lucky that they didn't try and feed you lavabread. Now the Welsh are known for their friendliness, especially to foreigners...sooo I'm wondering what you actually did say to them. Next time try the real Capital of Wales...Swansea!

hey Ceri (Cymru am byth :-) ) thanks for the links. I have a lot of those photos up on the wall in my office- Rhossili, Three Cliffs and Caswell in particular. I spent half my childhood on Llangennith- wonderful! That's my kids favourite beach too, and they've been to many all over the world. I lived in Neath for the first 13 years of my life- adore Swansea- have relatives in Mumbles, Penclawdd, Uplands and my best friend from infants school has a beautiful house in Southgate, Gower - lucky thing!

That house for rent- if its the one I think it is- right smack in the middle of Rhossili and Llangenith? I would love to buy it! I've been fascinated by that house since I was knee high- its supposed to be haunted. Apparently, the last vicar who lived there on his own- felt a hand on his shoulder one night and heard a voice say "turn round and look at me" - he legged it and never went back. At least that's one of the ghost stories of the place. The house (old rectory) is listed in the book Britain's Haunted heritage. What wouldn't I give to own that place...
Old Apr 9th 2003, 2:04 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Ceri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to allCeri is a name known to all

Originally posted by Taffyles

I didn't see any miserable sods in the pictures- I saw smiling faces. And I find it hard to believe that two old ladies would use that language- just count yourself lucky that they didn't try and feed you lavabread. Now the Welsh are known for their friendliness, especially to foreigners...sooo I'm wondering what you actually did say to them. Next time try the real Capital of Wales...Swansea!

hey Ceri (Cymru am byth :-) ) thanks for the links. I have a lot of those photos up on the wall in my office- Rhossili, Three Cliffs and Caswell in particular. I spent half my childhood on Llangennith- wonderful! That's my kids favourite beach too, and they've been to many all over the world. I lived in Neath for the first 13 years of my life- adore Swansea- have relatives in Mumbles, Penclawdd, Uplands and my best friend from infants school has a beautiful house in Southgate, Gower - lucky thing!

That house for rent- if its the one I think it is- right smack in the middle of Rhossili and Llangenith? I would love to buy it! I've been fascinated by that house since I was knee high- its supposed to be haunted. Apparently, the last vicar who lived there on his own- felt a hand on his shoulder one night and heard a voice say "turn round and look at me" - he legged it and never went back. At least that's one of the ghost stories of the place. The house (old rectory) is listed in the book Britain's Haunted heritage. What wouldn't I give to own that place...
Same here, spent most of my childhood around Gower. Actually Crawly woods is one of my favourites , but I can't find any photo's of it - best kept secret , probably the reason why it's quiet. It's a quiet beach because of the walk to get to it. I'm not quite sure where that house is , but it's probably in Rhossilli somewhere, it looks like it is, I'll have to show my husband it , perhaps he'll recognise it
. I came across a cottage, all whitewashed, one storey - your typical "chocolate box cottage" , for sale last year on the net, it was overlooking Rhossilli somewhere - and the viewsI - it didn't have a price on it, but it must have been over a million easily.
My mate has a lovely old house overlooking crofty sand flats - renovated it - 4 beds, beautiful large kitchen etc - it's valued at around 250 grand (pounds) - not bad, considering the prices in England. I can tell you how much the houses are going for in Mumbles now, the terraced houses there, hundred and twenty thou, when I left around 11 years ago they were 65 to 75 thou. I have a relative who lives there, next door neighbours house sold for 125 the other month. Still not bad considering it's only a hop and a skip to Mumbles front.
I find it funny when people say all beaches are packed in the uk etc, when I know this is not true.

As for Cardiff, I can't say I'm fond of the place myself - too sprawled out, busy and too "Englishy" if you know what I mean . I just found it funny that two old dears told him/her to " F off" - I could picture it in my head - two little old frail ladies sitting at a bus stop and cursing- lol, now if he had said it was in Swansea, I'd be phoning my mum-in-law up and asking her if she is swearing at the tourists again , and to cut it out! - lol. It doesn't ring true to me somehow, nobody tells you " F off" for absolutely no reason at all, especially two old ladies! - must have upset them somehow if it's true. Normally if old people want to swear at you, they'll say it in Welsh - sounds better, and nobody can understand them lol.

cheers

(Burry Holmes)

P.S the BBC has put new sections on it's site - there's one for South Wales, news - beaches , forums etc if you're interested - there are beach web cams there somewhere - I can't seem to find them again, they are there somewhere - I looked at one the other day - http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southwest/

PPS - talking about little old ladies swearing - I'm not sure what type of humour you've got, but if you like "black comedy" - try and get your hands on the film "Twin Town" starring Rhys Ifans. It's set in Swansea, about crime and drugs etc - the dirty side of life, it's not to everyones taste - a lot of swearing (father - in - law hated it, didn't find it funny at all) - but I loved it, found it very funny, I've lent it to a few Aussie mates here, and they actually found it funny too - which is surprising, considering they have a different sense of humour to myself.

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 9th 2003 at 2:32 am.
Old Apr 9th 2003, 3:03 am
Just Joined

Martin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Blighty

Let's not get too carried away. Blighty is really the place to be, more character than anywhere else but not quite the rose tinted land of Shakespearean propotions. It is a great country, but let's face it, Welsh people telling the English to 'f*** off' is hardly surprising. I lived in Aberystwyth and walked into a butchers shop one day, whereupon the white coated chap expolded "ah, you're an English bastard then?' when asking about a cut of lamb. He came over all smiles once I told him I played rugby for Aberteifi, the rivals 30 miles down the road.
Then again, episodes such as the above reinforce the character of the place, sadly lacking in other lands. I can forgive the Welsh, it's a beautiful country and the rugby clubs are great.
Old Apr 9th 2003, 3:47 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Default Re: Blighty

Originally posted by Martin

whereupon the white coated chap expolded "ah, you're an English bastard then?'

Friendly greeting - lol , and are you?

seriously, Martin, it depends where you go, and depends on the people. I could say the same about England, I have had people saying to me in England , oh taffy b*stard are you then, or Irish git - should explain I have an odd accent, I think I sound Welsh, but I've been accused of being Scottish and Irish (My mum is Irish, my Dad Welsh)

And I'll tell you something, if you go up into the valley's , in some of the old coal mining towns - they don't even like Swansea people (Jacks) . I do know, because my dad was brought up in this one certain town, as welsh as they come - his first language was welsh. . I used to work for a delivery company when I left school, and used to deliver to some of these towns. I was treating luke warm by customers in this one town until I told them my Dad used to live here - oh hello bach , everytime I used to go back there - want a cup of tea dear? - what I'm trying to say is some of the Welsh are even unfriendly to other Welsh, depending where you come from, they are very clan like in places

And as for you English B*stard - it may be an insult ( you get it all over the place and not just in Wales) - or it could be a friendly rib, god I call my English friends - English b*stards, I also call my Scottish friend a Scottish G*t

cheers

P.S do what I do - when someone calls me a Taffy b*stard , I respond "laughingly" in a joking manner - "Aye, and don't you ever forget it" - could work the other way too .

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 9th 2003 at 4:40 am.
Old Apr 9th 2003, 4:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

You gotta go back for 'enders thats the only good thing about England oh and the chippies.
Old Apr 9th 2003, 6:08 am
Forum Regular

BCBOY is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Interested
You gotta go back for 'enders thats the only good thing about England oh and the chippies.

..personally I can think of at least three dozen great things about the UK, and thats off the top of my head....give me a few minutes and I could have three dozen more...
Old Apr 9th 2003, 10:37 am
Just Joined

buttercups is an unknown quantity at this point

Ceri

The last photo you posted did indeed look "beautiful", but so does any where else in England - when the sun is shining.

Wales has a right to be pissed off with other people, moving into the area to buy the cheaper houses....but there is still a work issue.

My cousin moved up to north Wales 2 years ago, and paid for his house outright (37year old) which is obviously great, but the only work he could obtain was a "Bus Drivers" position at the minimun wages, which i believe to be about £4.50 an hour approx.

Now he is struggling along with a new baby in the house, how on earth he manages i have no idea, his wife is still unemployed. But they both had good jobs here in the south east before.

You do actually get what you pay for in the end.

With regards to the old ladies, i do believe it ! Its the same anywhere else, old people do not get the respect they once had -nowdays you would be lucky if someone offered them a seat on a bus. I surpose they are biting back....................!

Good Manners have flown out of the window - young and old
Old Apr 9th 2003, 11:43 am
BE Forum Addict

Taffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond reputeTaffyles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Blighty

Originally posted by Martin

It is a great country, but let's face it, Welsh people telling the English to 'f*** off' is hardly surprising.
LOL No not surprising at all- especially when you know your history And lets be fair there's equal ribbing on both sides- the English make fun of the Welsh all the time too, for the most part its good natured ribbing on both sides.

But, what is surprising is two old ladies using the term F. Off- that's not something their generation would say, whether they were Welsh, English or whatever. Now if they were supposed to have said sod off- it would have been slightly more believable- sorry to split hairs but how many British little old ladies do you hear using the word f..k naturally? I've lived in Wales Scotland England and never heard the older generation use it. The story didn't ring true to me LOL. I can quite believe yours though
. Never mind old Shakey- North Wales is still the land of Owain Glyndwr and Longshanks in a few parts
Old Apr 9th 2003, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally posted by Ceri
Same here, spent most of my childhood around Gower. Actually Crawly woods is one of my favourites , but I can't find any photo's of it - best kept secret , probably the reason why it's quiet. It's a quiet beach because of the walk to get to it. I'm not quite sure where that house is , but it's probably in Rhossilli somewhere, it looks like it is, I'll have to show my husband it , perhaps he'll recognise it
. I came across a cottage, all whitewashed, one storey - your typical "chocolate box cottage" , for sale last year on the net, it was overlooking Rhossilli somewhere - and the viewsI - it didn't have a price on it, but it must have been over a million easily.
My mate has a lovely old house overlooking crofty sand flats - renovated it - 4 beds, beautiful large kitchen etc - it's valued at around 250 grand (pounds) - not bad, considering the prices in England. I can tell you how much the houses are going for in Mumbles now, the terraced houses there, hundred and twenty thou, when I left around 11 years ago they were 65 to 75 thou. I have a relative who lives there, next door neighbours house sold for 125 the other month. Still not bad considering it's only a hop and a skip to Mumbles front.
I find it funny when people say all beaches are packed in the uk etc, when I know this is not true.

As for Cardiff, I can't say I'm fond of the place myself - too sprawled out, busy and too "Englishy" if you know what I mean . I just found it funny that two old dears told him/her to " F off" - I could picture it in my head - two little old frail ladies sitting at a bus stop and cursing- lol, now if he had said it was in Swansea, I'd be phoning my mum-in-law up and asking her if she is swearing at the tourists again , and to cut it out! - lol. It doesn't ring true to me somehow, nobody tells you " F off" for absolutely no reason at all, especially two old ladies! - must have upset them somehow if it's true. Normally if old people want to swear at you, they'll say it in Welsh - sounds better, and nobody can understand them lol.

cheers

(Burry Holmes)

P.S the BBC has put new sections on it's site - there's one for South Wales, news - beaches , forums etc if you're interested - there are beach web cams there somewhere - I can't seem to find them again, they are there somewhere - I looked at one the other day - http://www.bbc.co.uk/wales/southwest/

PPS - talking about little old ladies swearing - I'm not sure what type of humour you've got, but if you like "black comedy" - try and get your hands on the film "Twin Town" starring Rhys Ifans. It's set in Swansea, about crime and drugs etc - the dirty side of life, it's not to everyones taste - a lot of swearing (father - in - law hated it, didn't find it funny at all) - but I loved it, found it very funny, I've lent it to a few Aussie mates here, and they actually found it funny too - which is surprising, considering they have a different sense of humour to myself.

Will try and get that film - sounds good LOL Although I don't hold out much hope here in the States- I've been trying to get a copy of "Very Annie Mary" for ages, but the yankee doodles didn't understand the humour so it didn't sell here- my Mum is coming out in a few weeks time- I'll have to add both films to my shopping list for her

About houses in Gower, they are still very reasonable compared to some parts of UK. Like most ex-pats We've been watching the housing market in Britain closely. We still have our house in the S.East, which we bought in the last housing slump . the best thing we ever did was to NOT sell our house when we came out here to live. A friend of ours in London is going to give us the nod when to put it on the market- before the next slump, which is bound to happen when the bottom falls right out of the market- house prices will start coming down then. Then I will be looking in earnest in Gower- my hubby always promised me we would retire there ...and I'm holding him to it LOL. hey the old Archbishop of Canterbury has just retired to Gower...gawd help us, wouldn't want him as a neighbour..I'd have to watch my bloody swearing then :scared: Iesu mawr!

So when do you think you'll be going home?
Old Apr 10th 2003, 4:07 am
Y Ddraig Goch

Originally posted by buttercups
Ceri

The last photo you posted did indeed look "beautiful", but so does any where else in England - when the sun is shining.

Wales has a right to be pissed off with other people, moving into the area to buy the cheaper houses....but there is still a work issue.

My cousin moved up to north Wales 2 years ago, and paid for his house outright (37year old) which is obviously great, but the only work he could obtain was a "Bus Drivers" position at the minimun wages, which i believe to be about £4.50 an hour approx.

Now he is struggling along with a new baby in the house, how on earth he manages i have no idea, his wife is still unemployed. But they both had good jobs here in the south east before.

You do actually get what you pay for in the end.

With regards to the old ladies, i do believe it ! Its the same anywhere else, old people do not get the respect they once had -nowdays you would be lucky if someone offered them a seat on a bus. I surpose they are biting back....................!

Good Manners have flown out of the window - young and old
You can't compare Swansea and South wales to North Wales employment wise , North Wales is a beautiful place, but it sadly lacks in employment, plenty of places are like this, beautiful but employment is bad, same can be said about parts of Aus too.
Swansea is industrialised, major industries, it's Wales' second capital city - not to say there is no unemployment like every where else of course. The areas I have mentioned are all within driving distance to major employment. Mumbles is right next to swansea city,a 10 min drive, Penclawdd (crofty) is only say half an hour drive to the major industrial area (fforestfach) - Llangennith is about three quarters of an hour drive. I'm trying to think of the driving times, how long it used to take me to drive to places. - these are estimates, it's ages since I've drove back home. - now if I had mentioned some other areas within Swansea county and the surrounding areas - like 35 to 50 grand for a house , especially Neath way and beyond- yes you get what you pay for. It is cheap as chips in some areas.

P.S
Taffyles - I'm hoping to go home within the next two years. It's just one thing after another that's stopping us - two years ago I would have said the same, but I'm still here in Aus - We've a lot tied up here, work, buildiing a house etc etc. - I wish I could drop everything and run to the hills , but two years I'd say - have to go home anyway for "family reasons"

Didn't want to mention the "history thing about Wales and why some welsh people will tell you to F off" maybe it's got something to do with that union Jack , don't get me started - lol. My hubby usually get's a ear bashing about this - funny considering he has two Welsh parents, so in a way he's more welsh than I can ever be - he believes in a united kingdom, I don't - I believe in Independence, chalk and cheese - he's a dear though, I'm sure he's half deaf! funny he wasn't when I first met him lol

cheers

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 10th 2003 at 4:25 am.
Old Apr 10th 2003, 7:33 am
BE Enthusiast

sundarize is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by muppetking
Take their advice if it's so miserable!
What? I am in my own country - England. Just saying its crap thats all
Old Apr 11th 2003, 12:49 am
Y Ddraig Goch

What? I am in my own country - England. Just saying its crap thats all
If you think Cardiff belongs to England - you really do deserve to be told to F off by two little old dears - good on em'

cheers

P.S - " outdoor life, BBQ, walks, friends in the garden (everything thats impossible in the UK) " your profile - says it all really, no such thing as "impossible" - -lol ever been hiking across parts of the Brecon beacons? - beautiful. You're a sad case aye. Ever wonder why the sas train in Wales? ( no smart comments please).
And I won't even go into the rest of your statement. If you enjoyed walking and outdoor life - there are plenty of places in the UK to do this.

Last edited by Ceri; Apr 11th 2003 at 1:04 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.