Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Scared about sending dog in cargo back to England - help!!!

Scared about sending dog in cargo back to England - help!!!

Old May 15th 2010, 4:34 pm
Just Joined

Samara83 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Scared about sending dog in cargo back to England - help!!!

While I was abroad I got a small Yorkshire Terrier - he weighs just over 1kg. I will be going back to England with him and I am so nervous about sending him in cargo (it's a 11hr flight to Heathrow). I travel with him a lot, but he always flies in-cabin with me. He will be traveling under the PETS Scheme (it's been 6 months since his titre test).

Has anyone had experience sending their dog in cargo on British Airways? Also, I've heard some people used "James Cargo" - what exactly do they do for you??
Old May 15th 2010, 6:07 pm
Forum Regular

salgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant futuresalgb has a brilliant future
Default Re: Scared about sending dog in cargo back to England - help!!!

I sent my cat through BA from Los Angeles, and brought her back on Air NZ. Both carriers were great. I used a professional shipper both ways - I was too worried about having missing paperwork on arrival. The Brits are real sticklers for having everything stamped and approved from what I've heard. If you're confident you have all the paperwork in order, all the Frontline and worming treatments taken care of, and health certificates stamped by the USDA, then there's no need to use a shipper. My cat did fine. I saw a big lab come out of the ARC at Heathrow and he looked liked he was raring to go, and very excited to see his Mum! Good luck - I think most animals are more resilient than us humans!
Old May 15th 2010, 10:54 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Samara83
While I was abroad I got a small Yorkshire Terrier - he weighs just over 1kg. I will be going back to England with him and I am so nervous about sending him in cargo (it's a 11hr flight to Heathrow). I travel with him a lot, but he always flies in-cabin with me. He will be traveling under the PETS Scheme (it's been 6 months since his titre test).

Has anyone had experience sending their dog in cargo on British Airways? Also, I've heard some people used "James Cargo" - what exactly do they do for you??
Suzy has been through it three times now with BA, did fine every time, and there are others on here whose dogs also did fine (some were quite old and not in great health).

James Cargo deals with all the paperwork after the dog is off the plane and before he/she gets delivered to you at the Animal Reception Centre.
Old May 15th 2010, 11:51 pm
Forum Regular

Cant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really niceCant rain all the time2 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Samara83

How can you have a dog fly in the cabin with you? Was it a private plane?

We will be flying our Yorkie back in 2 weeks time, we are anxious also but I'm sure he will be fine.
Old May 16th 2010, 1:26 am
Just Joined

Samara83 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cant rain all the time2
How can you have a dog fly in the cabin with you? Was it a private plane?

We will be flying our Yorkie back in 2 weeks time, we are anxious also but I'm sure he will be fine.
On almost all airlines (except BA) you can bring you dog in-cabin with you as long as it is small enough. You just use a soft carrier bag and place it at your feet [under the seat in front of you] during your flight. Our dog is very used to this, but unfortunately DEFRA states that all dogs must enter the UK in cargo, not in-cabin.
Old May 17th 2010, 8:04 am
Forum Regular

teresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to allteresa1003 is a name known to all

We brought two Golden Retrievers back for the US, with BA they were really great, we picked the up at the ARC at Heathrow and both were in great spirits and the staff had fed them and let them out prior to us collecting. We did all the paperwork ourselves without any problems.
Old May 17th 2010, 8:17 am
BE Enthusiast

woodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to allwoodywoodside is a name known to all

My 3lb very old pom and my young Pap have flown and have been fine. I they went with british airways. What I have got for them are the Hagen pet cargo beds they keep them warm when its cold and cool when its hot, also if they pee it runs underneath and keeps them dry. I think they are well worth the money they cost.
I hope this helps.
Old May 17th 2010, 8:58 am
Forum Regular

lickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to alllickylady is a name known to all

My 17 year old Yorkie came with us to Australia. We used Par Air from the Uk, They were great and she made it, safe and sound! She was almost deaf and blind with no teeth but she had to come with us, she was part of the family. They looked after her really well at Melbourne quarantine centre, cant praise them enough for giving her all her medications etc. I visited 3 times a week for the 30 days she was in there. At least when you get back to the UK they dont have to go into quarantine if they have done their 6 months from Rabies blood test already. They can come straught off the plane and into your arms. (Well amost takes appx 3 hrs after landing at heathrow). Good Luck. x
Old May 18th 2010, 6:59 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

Our dog has travelled to NZ and back and was looked after really well in fact the ARC I have nothing but praise for he was washed and fed before we met him and boy was he pleased to see us!