SATs vs GCSE's

Old Aug 20th 2007, 5:19 pm
Forum Regular

Ayrria is an unknown quantity at this point
Default SATs vs GCSE's

Does anyone know that if my husbands SATs he took at 15 would be the equivilant to a GCSE? He's worried if he can't get his GED in time that he would have to start from scratch. But I'd of thought he could get onto an A level with his SATs right? Thats saying he comes to England and didn't have his GED..
Old Aug 20th 2007, 6:49 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: SATs vs GCSE's

Originally Posted by Ayrria
Does anyone know that if my husbands SATs he took at 15 would be the equivilant to a GCSE? He's worried if he can't get his GED in time that he would have to start from scratch. But I'd of thought he could get onto an A level with his SATs right? Thats saying he comes to England and didn't have his GED..

I'm not sure how the US SAT's (which are quite general and test scholastic aptitude rather than specialized knowledge) would provide enough information on a person's knowledge in their intended A-level subjects ... ?
Old Aug 20th 2007, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Scout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond reputeScout has a reputation beyond repute

They aren't equivalent at all.

GCSEs are generally thought of as equivalent to an American High School Diploma as is the GED. But the SAT's are not the equivalent of a High School Diploma. They are tests for Scholastic Aptitude that can determine if you have the necessary skills to attend a college or university.

Last edited by Scout; Aug 20th 2007 at 9:08 pm.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 3:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Are you thinking he will attend TVU Reading? If so, they have an entrance test for mature students which may allow him to attend. Not sure if it will apply for A level though. High school diploma/school transcripts will help.

Have you considered fees for international students? We are British citizens, but classed as international students for the first 3 years back in the UK after returning from the USA. It can be costly. He will be an international student.

I had a similar problem in the USA. Have GCSE's, a UK nursing license but they still made me get a GED to allow me to join a nursing program to get my US license. I must say though it was worth it as both countries have different ways of testing, it helped me to adapt to the usa way.

I wish him luck.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 4:41 pm
Forum Regular

Yes but I read on the TVU website that they class him as being a home student if he has been residing in England for a year and has been married to a UK citizen. So I am hoping that we can use that. I have been living in England the whole time, just visiting on holiday so I'm alright on that front. I am just hoping that we can at least get ourselves sorted out over the next couple of years. He is trying to get his GED before he gets here which I know would help and would work for a year. If the worst thing comes to the worst I could get him on a part time CAD course at the college to get him started on what he needs. I really don't have much clue. I just know he looked into getting grants and said it was still possible for him to get them for England.
Thanks!
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: California since 1997 now back in UK since July 2004
honeymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond reputehoneymommy has a reputation beyond repute

Yes but I read on the TVU website that they class him as being a home student if he has been residing in England for a year and has been married to a UK citizen. So I am hoping that we can use that. I have been living in England the whole time, just visiting on holiday so I'm alright on that front. I am just hoping that we can at least get ourselves sorted out over the next couple of years. He is trying to get his GED before he gets here which I know would help and would work for a year. If the worst thing comes to the worst I could get him on a part time CAD course at the college to get him started on what he needs. I really don't have much clue. I just know he looked into getting grants and said it was still possible for him to get them for England.
Thanks!
Really, I didn't know that, Thats great then he may not have to pay after 1 year.

TVU reading have very helpful staff, it may be worth popping in there to have a chat with them. My son has been accepted for a course there starting in September. I found them very helpful.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:36 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Has he actually started working on the GED?
I did it a couple of years ago, 20 years after leaving school at 16. I only spent 6 weeks revising Math before taking the exams and breezed through it. All the questions for all subjects are multiple choice, so common sense and elimination makes choosing the answers simple.

If he had good SAT scores as a youngster, it really shouldn't be a problem.
Good luck.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:40 pm
Forum Regular

Yeah he is hoping to start next month. He was in the 97% in his SAT's so I would think he wouldn't have a problem. He just needs to go over the math.
Old Aug 22nd 2007, 5:49 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah he is hoping to start next month. He was in the 97% in his SAT's so I would think he wouldn't have a problem. He just needs to go over the math.

That's all I did. He'll be fine and done in no time.