Richard III Found

Old Feb 4th 2013, 7:54 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Richard III Found

OK, I'm outing myself as a history nerd, but Richard III dug up from under a parking lot in Leicester? There's something kind of depressing about that! I'd rather they hadn't found him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/05/wo...ones.html?_r=0
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:06 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Richard III Found

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
OK, I'm outing myself as a history nerd, but Richard III dug up from under a parking lot in Leicester? There's something kind of depressing about that! I'd rather they hadn't found him.

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/02/05/wo...ones.html?_r=0
It wasn't a parking lot when they buried him, to be fair.

And it might end up being a good thing, in that he wasn't nearly the villain that Shakespeare and others portrayed him to be.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:10 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
It wasn't a parking lot when they buried him, to be fair.

And it might end up being a good thing, in that he wasn't nearly the villain that Shakespeare and others portrayed him to be.
LOL -- very true (but it could have been a stable yard then . . . ). For many people, he will always be Larry Olivier hamming it up, despite what the historians have actually stated.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:12 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I love this stuff
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:20 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
LOL -- very true (but it could have been a stable yard then . . . ). For many people, he will always be Larry Olivier hamming it up, despite what the historians have actually stated.
It was a friary I think.

He is probably good for knocking off the princes, but then who didn't in those days. He still did a lot of other useful things, like introducing the practice of bail.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:20 pm

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I love this stuff
I had thought about posting this on the Obit thread this morning, since he didn't get proper recognition at the time.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

He is probably good for knocking off the princes, but then who didn't in those days.
Ah, there's plenty of evidence for that being down to Henry VII who then lay the blame on his predecessor. Henry had motive (wanting to legitimise claim to the throne via his win at Bosworth by bumping off all the remaining York males).

Richard didn't need that motive as the Princes had been declared illegitimate thanks to Richard's elder brother's marriage being null and void. He didn't need to bump them off as well to secure the throne.

I think it's fascinating that he's been found (and the archeologists found him early on in the hunt, their "hunch" was correct, boom boom). Although I would have preferred him to be interred in York Minster (as he was a "King of the North" and very popular there).

Last edited by yellowroom; Feb 4th 2013 at 8:50 pm. Reason: got me 'enry's mixed up.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom
Ah, there's plenty of evidence for that being down to Henry IV who then lay the blame on his predecessor. Henry had motive (wanting to legitimise claim to the throne via his win at Bosworth by bumping off all the remaining York males).

Richard didn't need that motive as the Princes had been declared illegitimate thanks to Richard's elder brother's marriage being null and void. He didn't need to bump them off as well to secure the throne.

I think it's fascinating that he's been found (and the archeologists found him early on in the hunt, their "hunch" was correct, boom boom). Although I would have preferred him to be interred in York Minster (as he was a "King of the North" and very popular there).
Yes, I had read the Henry theory too - although I think it was Richard who put them in the tower more or less permanently? Still, not unusual for the times. For either monarch their continued existence could have spelled problems, in terms of being a focal point for rebellion, legitimate or not.

Nice to lay him to rest properly, anyway. York would have been good, agreed.

Last edited by Lion in Winter; Feb 4th 2013 at 9:00 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I had read the Henry theory too - although I think it was Richard who put them in the tower more or less permanently? Still, not unusual for the times. For either monarch their continued existence could have spelled problems, in terms of being a focal point for rebellion, legitimate or not.
The Tower in those days was still a normal Royal Residence, not the prison it became later on. A Royal Residence surrounded by big walls to protect from the rebels, sure, but it didn't yet have the resonance of "off to the Tower and off with his head" that it became in Henry VIII's day.

I love all this kind of stuff. I hope it raises awareness that asking "where's the evidence" and "what's my bias" is important in everything, from history to science to crime to what's in the papers today.
Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

sir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond reputesir_eccles has a reputation beyond repute

Seen these two so far today, not my own work obviously:
Attached Thumbnails Richard III Found-parkinglot1.jpg   Richard III Found-parkinglot2.jpg  
Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:28 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

Bloody foreigners taking all the best parking spaces..
Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:39 pm

Originally Posted by yellowroom
The Tower in those days was still a normal Royal Residence, not the prison it became later on. A Royal Residence surrounded by big walls to protect from the rebels, sure, but it didn't yet have the resonance of "off to the Tower and off with his head" that it became in Henry VIII's day.

I love all this kind of stuff. I hope it raises awareness that asking "where's the evidence" and "what's my bias" is important in everything, from history to science to crime to what's in the papers today.
Agreed. History depends on those who write it a lot of the time, in this case Tudor propagandists. I don't think the Princes were exactly free to leave the Tower though were they?

Richard did quite a bit of good stuff though, during his short reign. Here is one take on it.

http://www.richardiii-nsw.org.au/?page_id=1144
Old Feb 4th 2013, 9:40 pm

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Bloody foreigners taking all the best parking spaces..
The Hanoverians should have been buried on deck chairs, with towels.
Old Feb 5th 2013, 12:00 am

His facial reconstruction, based on his skull.

Old Feb 5th 2013, 1:49 am
BE Forum Addict

Derrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond reputeDerrygal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I love this stuff
Me too - history was my favorite subject at school.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.