Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to the Uk within 3 weeks

Returning to the Uk within 3 weeks

Old Feb 2nd 2010, 12:51 pm
Just Joined

mikf is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to the Uk within 3 weeks

I am flying tomorrow to the US for the first time on my Immigrant Visa, I can only stay over there for 3 weeks as I still have to work over here until April/May time. Do I have to file the I-131 document everytime I leave the US, I ask as I am in the Merchant Navy and until I get the go ahead with my licences to work in the Gulf I may have to do a few trips at work, they are 6 weeks on/off, will the Immigration department take a dim view on the amount of time I am out of the country? I am married to a US citizen and we have a place to stay, kids in school etc so I intend the US to be my permanent residence, it is just the work issue I need to sort and if have to complete this form every 3 months.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the Uk within 3 weeks

Originally Posted by mikf
Do I have to file the I-131 document everytime I leave the US
You say you're entering the US with an "immigrant visa", right? If so, you'll become a US permanent resident the day you enter the US and you don't need to complete an I-131 at all unless you'll be out of the US for more than a year *in a single trip*.

Ian
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 1:12 pm
Just Joined

mikf is an unknown quantity at this point

Thank you for the info, I will be back and forth throughout the year, is there a limit of time in a year I can be out of the country, as it stands I do 6 months a year at sea.
Old Feb 2nd 2010, 2:05 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikf
Thank you for the info, I will be back and forth throughout the year, is there a limit of time in a year I can be out of the country, as it stands I do 6 months a year at sea.
There's not really a limit, no. A certain amount of time outside the USA between the time you become a PR and the time you are eligible for citizenship, might affect your ability to naturalize, so have a look at the "USCIS Guide to Naturalization" for more details on that.

If you are outside the USA for 6 months at a time, you can expect to be questioned about it at the POE upon your return. If you predict being gone a year at a time, file an I-131 for Re-Entry Permit.

Since your only purpose outside the USA is to work, you shouldn't have a problem maintaining your ties to the USA, and not losing your US PR status. Your family will be remaining in the USA, your home is in the USA, banking in the USA, filing US tax return each year, etc....

Rene