Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK from the US

Returning to the UK from the US

Old Jan 23rd 2004, 9:06 pm
Forum Regular

Britfrombristol is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to the UK from the US

My wife and I moved to the US last year and it seems as if a move back to the Uk is on the cards unless the work situation picks up.

I work as a lawyer in England and there is plenty of work. We knew that it would be difficult over here given that my profession cannot be transfered but I would be interested to hear from anyone who has repatriated to England and how they felt to be back. The big question being, whether they regreted moving back?
Old Jan 28th 2004, 6:42 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Originally Sussex Then Oregon Then Vancouver Now Colorado
Wildcat_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey there

I am in the same boat, been here for 3 years and only had mid term contracts. I'm in the technology industry with good experience but as you are aware it hit rock bottom here. I currently reside in Denver and am determined to stick this out. I keep telling myself with everyone else here there must be a way of making it work but it is getting desperate.

We are consideirng moving to another state. Let me know how you are doing and what you are currently planning. From most of my friends that moved back they tell me it was the worst mistake that could have made

WC
Old Jan 31st 2004, 7:02 pm
Forum Regular

Britfrombristol is an unknown quantity at this point

Wildcat,

I would be interested to know why the people you know have found it to be such a bad move returning to England. I would have thought that a decision to return would be based on a new knowledge of what it was really like to live in both countries as opposed to moving to the US the first time when all one really knows is of every day life in England.

Look forward to hearing from you.
Old Feb 1st 2004, 2:43 am
Just Joined

mom ov 3 is an unknown quantity at this point

I am from Middlesbrough area and moved to Arizona 1991 I got married had a family and enjoyed it here..we then decided to go to England while the kids were still young so in 1998 we left we told ourselves for three years at the most...
Well that turned into five and now we are back in Arizona..I wont lie it was very hard to go back the weather everything...I think the hardest thing was having no routine of life there my husband didnt find work straight away and that was hard but after a year things were going well....
Coming back here was for his job his office closed so thought this was our time to return...getting the kids used to it all was my biggest challenge but now they love it..were as I miss home the people the slower pace of life here I feel like everyone is in a rush...well hope it goes well for you good luck!!!
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 6:34 pm
Just Joined

JULES1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Wildcat_1
Hey there

I am in the same boat, been here for 3 years and only had mid term contracts. I'm in the technology industry with good experience but as you are aware it hit rock bottom here. I currently reside in Denver and am determined to stick this out. I keep telling myself with everyone else here there must be a way of making it work but it is getting desperate.

We are consideirng moving to another state. Let me know how you are doing and what you are currently planning. From most of my friends that moved back they tell me it was the worst mistake that could have made

WC
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 6:51 pm
Just Joined

JULES1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile

Hello there

Wildcat it sounds like we have had similar travel experiences! My husband is originally from Sussex, then Vancouver (Where we met) and moved to Denver 3 yrs ago.
We moved here from BC for the almighty US dollar - but have never really settled. The cost of living is certainly cheaper but thats about the only thing we enjoy!!! Although we loved Vancouver we have decided to make the big move back to the UK!
I've been out of the UK now for almost 15 yrs and still miss too much! Not under any illusions - we don't expect everything to be an easy ride - but with 2 little'uns and both our families back there we are really looking forward to not having the expensive trip home every year! There's so much to see and do over there too - oh and free babysitting!!!
Anybody looking to return to UK from Colorado in May? Looking to share a container!
Old Feb 3rd 2004, 7:24 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Originally Sussex Then Oregon Then Vancouver Now Colorado
Wildcat_1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Let me know where you are in Denver, if you want we can chat via phone. Nice to find someone local. My email is [email protected]