Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK...pet shipping help

Returning to the UK...pet shipping help

Old Apr 7th 2015, 9:56 pm
Forum Regular

oliverjude will become famous soon enougholiverjude will become famous soon enough
Default Returning to the UK...pet shipping help

My family and I are returning to the UK next summer and have two pets. I'm finding it's not as easy and much more expensive to return pets to the UK.
Has anyone done this or know of any forums for returning expats??
Old Apr 8th 2015, 12:30 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK...pet shipping help

I've moved your thread across to our UK a forum. If you try BE's search engine you should be able to pull up past threads re moving pets back to the UK. Also take a look in the BE Wiki.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by oliverjude
My family and I are returning to the UK next summer and have two pets. I'm finding it's not as easy and much more expensive to return pets to the UK.
Have not got much h time now but will do a fuller reply soon, if you travel back via Amsterdam or Paris then Boat tunnel its a lot cheaper than fling into UK direct like $250 ish rather than 2/3 thousand as pets do not have to travel as cargo.
Old Apr 8th 2015, 9:33 pm
Goooner!

Pipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to all

Wow - Mike , I must have missed this.... I am about to move back to the UK with 4 dogs and a cat (i.e. the maximum of 5 pets). If the pets don't travel as cargo, then how to they travel? Its not like you can keep a dog in a carry on case for 10 hours?
Old Apr 9th 2015, 5:15 am
BE Enthusiast

Mike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant futureMike Gas has a brilliant future

Here you go I plan on taking my dog back for a 9 month visit.

So total cost for dog to the UK is going to be in the region of $400 plus passenger costs this includes vets fees.
This maybe will help others that are considering the same.

Canadian CFIA details on paperwork etc for pet certificates

Export of Dogs, Cats, and Ferrets to the European Union – Commercial Movements and Non-Commercial Movements of More Than Five Animals - Animals - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

UK Goverment info for taking pets

https://www.gov.uk/pet-travel-inform...port-companies

Air transit pet policy and details.
Flying With Pets and Airline-Approved Pet Carriers | Air Transat

Stena Line info for boat / Train from Europe to UK

Rail & Sail | Ferries to Britain | Stena Line
Good blog with information on taking pet from N america to Europe and onto UK
Taking a dog into, and out of, England on the Eurotunnel Le Shuttle » Dog Jaunt
Good info on how to get Train/Ferry from Netherlands to UK

LONDON to AMSTERDAM by train & ferry or Eurostar | From �45 to buy tickets if youre in the Netherlands
Mike Gas is online now Add to Mike Gas's Reputation Report Post Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9th 2015, 8:30 am
Misses Los Angeles

MoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond reputeMoshiMoshi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by oliverjude
Lots of people on here have done this. Do a search and check out the DEFRA regs sticky (start from the last page, for the most up-to-date info).

What pets do you have, and where are you flying from/to?

It's expensive to fly pets into the UK; they have to come as 'manifest cargo'. (Pets travel in a pressurized, temp-controlled section of the cargo hold.)

It's cheaper to fly into Europe, whether the pets are travelling in the cargo hold (same place as 'manifest cargo', but billed as excess baggage or at a pets rate: much cheaper) or in the cabin (although I'm not sure how many airlines accept in-cabin pets for transatlantic flights). But then you have an added leg to your journey.

Some BE members speak highly of coming over on the QEII, but you do need to book that far in advance, or be flexible about taking up a cancellation.

Health requirements are the same, whichever way you arrive.

If you're flying directly into the UK, BA and Virgin are two airlines which are often recommended here. We flew LAX-LHR with BA and it was fine.

Last edited by MoshiMoshi; Apr 9th 2015 at 8:34 am.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 10:30 am
Goooner!

Pipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to allPipmeister is a name known to all

Maybe if I had one or two pets it might be ok but travelling back from Europe with 5 is going to be problematic!!
Old Apr 9th 2015, 3:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

britwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond reputebritwhore has a reputation beyond repute

I travelled back to the UK with 4 dogs last time. Came on the QM2 so it wasn't a problem. This time I flew back with 3 dogs into Heathrow. Stressful but easier than traveling into Europe and making my way back to London (IMO) It cost about $3000 to fly all 3.
Old Apr 9th 2015, 6:14 pm
Back from India

pennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to beholdpennylessinindia is a splendid one to behold

do a search with my ID and you will find some of my posts, did it a while back via Europe from India
Old May 1st 2015, 2:29 pm
Just Joined

Kempy is an unknown quantity at this point

We flew our two cats back two weeks ago with the mother-in-law. As you now have to fly within 5 days either side of the pets flight it was our best option as it should make our move back a little easier not having to worry about them.

The whole process was fairly straight-forward even without a pet passport - make sure your pets vaccines are up to date, get your vet to fill in the export and flight certificates, and provide you with the vaccine certificates no more than 10 days before the flight. Go to a CFIA office with the certificates and get them to stamp the form, at a cost of $20 a form - fortunately you can put multiple pets on one form. Send a C5 form to the cargo handler in the UK. Drop the pets off in the required crates at the cargo depot, hand over the certificates and fork out a load of dosh.

Our cats flew with BA (iagcargo.com) who charged $1500, which included customs clearance as well, meaning no additional charges to be paid in the UK. The mother-in-law then picked them up from HARC 4 hours after they landed and took them home, which was far less stressful than the ordeal we had picking them up from Toronto.
Old May 1st 2015, 2:47 pm
Fancy a Cuppa?

Rosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond reputeRosie Lee has a reputation beyond repute

We looked into other options, but everything started to get very complicated. Travelling to Europe is a great idea if your travelling light, ie no kids or extra luggage.
Ended up paying about $2500 Vancouver- Heathrow Air Canada.
Old May 1st 2015, 4:59 pm
Just Joined

jillc is an unknown quantity at this point

its easy to get back to UK via Netherlands - I am flying with 1 dog 1 cat 4 pieces of luggage and two adults
Calgary Canada to Amsterdam Netherlands - pet cost $275 per pet $405 per adult Air Transat
Amsterdam to Rotterdam - private taxi van total cost luggage pets and us 145 euro
P&O Ferry -- Rotterdam to Hull pets are £15 each in an onboard kennel and with cabin for us total cost £168 or you can do same from HOEK VAN HOLLAND INTO HARWICH aprox same price 125 euro- ive done both before .
using EU PET PASSPORTS with rabies injection valid from uk until 2017 - NON COMMERCIAL DECLARATION FOR 5 ANIMALS OR LESS -STAMPED BY BOTH PRIVATE VET AND CFIA VET - SAME FLIGHT FOR PETS AND US - FIT TO FLY HEALTH CERTIFICATE as pets are old 10yrs dog 17yrs cat
TAPEWORM CERTIFICATE FOR DOG ONLY - 1-5 DAY RULE APPLIES
----- its not difficult and the large taxi vans in Amsterdam are used to taking pets in Crates/Kennel in the taxi vans to and from the ports to airports and are very good -- you must book in advance for these large taxis .
Old Sep 1st 2015, 8:26 pm
Forum Regular

oliverjude will become famous soon enougholiverjude will become famous soon enough

Thank you. As we will be travelling with 2 pre teens changing in Europe would be a pain. Air Transit have quoted $1008 for a cat and dog plus £211 at Gatwick. This is a lot cheaper than Air Canada at $2230. We can't take my sons gecko though as they want $500 for a 3" pet plus he can't travel on the same flight.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 1:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jillc
its easy to get back to UK via Netherlands - I am flying with 1 dog 1 cat 4 pieces of luggage and two adults
Calgary Canada to Amsterdam Netherlands - pet cost $275 per pet $405 per adult Air Transat
Amsterdam to Rotterdam - private taxi van total cost luggage pets and us 145 euro
P&O Ferry -- Rotterdam to Hull pets are £15 each in an onboard kennel and with cabin for us total cost £168 or you can do same from HOEK VAN HOLLAND INTO HARWICH aprox same price 125 euro- ive done both before .
using EU PET PASSPORTS with rabies injection valid from uk until 2017 - NON COMMERCIAL DECLARATION FOR 5 ANIMALS OR LESS -STAMPED BY BOTH PRIVATE VET AND CFIA VET - SAME FLIGHT FOR PETS AND US - FIT TO FLY HEALTH CERTIFICATE as pets are old 10yrs dog 17yrs cat
TAPEWORM CERTIFICATE FOR DOG ONLY - 1-5 DAY RULE APPLIES
----- its not difficult and the large taxi vans in Amsterdam are used to taking pets in Crates/Kennel in the taxi vans to and from the ports to airports and are very good -- you must book in advance for these large taxis .
Hi
Would you have a link contact for these Taxi Vans as we were going to go by train but Taxi may be less bother with Kennel and luggage.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 1:43 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Once again, I'm reminded of 'the tyranny of distance'. Flying our golden retriever from Australia to the UK = AU$4,500. Just as well we love him

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.