Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK... Or not?

Returning to the UK... Or not?

Old Jan 16th 2016, 9:41 am
Forum Regular

OkUK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Returning to the UK... Or not?

Originally Posted by robin1234
Have you thought of Ireland as a possible new home?
Yes, both Ireland and Scotland (which has an interesting system of free universities from what I've heard).

I'd have to know more about both countries though!
Old Jan 16th 2016, 9:45 am
Forum Regular

OkUK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
This sentence of yours astonished me. Why on earth do you feel that you have to have the same accent as an English speaking country's nationals in order to 'fit in' there?? It's just such a cockeyed thing to think, for several reasons!
In the three weeks I've spent in the US, there were constant comments on my accent. I feel that would get old after years, decades.

I don't think you NEED the accent to fit in, I never said that. Plenty of Indian people with Indian accents live perfectly well in the UK, and plenty of Indian people with British accents live perfectly well in the UK.
Old Jan 16th 2016, 4:06 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by OkUK
In the three weeks I've spent in the US, there were constant comments on my accent. I feel that would get old after years, decades. ....
For some it does, but not for me, but that might be because from the age of eight until I left the UK many years later my accent was the subject of teasing and was considered unattractive. For whatever reason my accent hasn't change much, if at all, since I left Sheffield as a child. ..... I walked into a bank last Wednesday and the teller asked if I was visiting. ..... I told him I have lived and worked here for 13 years.

Last edited by Pulaski; Jan 16th 2016 at 4:09 pm.