Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK need one way travel insurance

Returning to the UK need one way travel insurance

Old Aug 25th 2013, 2:25 am
British European at heart

Arewemad is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to the UK need one way travel insurance

My family and I are returning to the UK from Canada where we have been temporary residents. We are looking for travel insurance to cover us and our luggage for the trip home. Does anyone know of any companies that provide this?

Thanks so much for any help......
Old Aug 25th 2013, 4:02 am
BE Enthusiast

TheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond reputeTheEmperorIsNaked has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK need one way travel insurance

Originally Posted by Arewemad
My family and I are returning to the UK from Canada where we have been temporary residents. We are looking for travel insurance to cover us and our luggage for the trip home. Does anyone know of any companies that provide this?

Others here would have greater knowledge than me of this, but in my view through bitter experience; source your insurance independently. If you are fool enough (I was!) to go through a travel agency, don't let them slug you on insurance.
Old Aug 25th 2013, 12:43 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

As we were travelling in Canada and the US, before returning to the UK we used Nomad's for medical insurance and some personal property. They will repatriate you to the UK, which other cos. would not do. I contacted the UK office. There is a 3 day waiting period, before the coverage starts, although I can't remember the details.

http://www.worldnomads.co.uk/
Old Aug 25th 2013, 12:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

aries has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond reputearies has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arewemad

Perhaps your bank has an insurance offer. I agree that travel agents are not the best people to use.
Old Aug 26th 2013, 11:30 pm
Dichotomus tinker

not2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond reputenot2old has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lf1
As we were travelling in Canada and the US, before returning to the UK we used Nomad's for medical insurance and some personal property. They will repatriate you to the UK, which other cos. would not do. I contacted the UK office. There is a 3 day waiting period, before the coverage starts, although I can't remember the details.

http://www.worldnomads.co.uk/
caution to the wind - I did an on line quote as though I was a) in the UK, b) in Canada, c) the US for family coverage for 12 months worldwide travel

Maximum term 6 months, must be under 60 years of age and cost at level 1 around $800

I think this is typical of most insurance companies

Many banks have travel insurance as someone pointed out
Old Aug 27th 2013, 7:48 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by not2old
caution to the wind - I did an on line quote as though I was a) in the UK, b) in Canada, c) the US for family coverage for 12 months worldwide travel

Maximum term 6 months, must be under 60 years of age and cost at level 1 around $800

I think this is typical of most insurance companies

Many banks have travel insurance as someone pointed out
The key for some is repatriation. So if you are sick or injured where do you want to be sent? In my case, I was travelling across Canada into the US and spending a week sailing from the US to UK. I like others on this forum, wanted to be sent to the UK in the case of illness/accident, thus the reason for using Nomad's. At the time, we could not find a policy being issued in NA that would repatriate us to the UK. If the OP is not concerned about where they are sent , then buying a local policy might be a better option.

Cost for two adults, under 60 for about two weeks was £92 approx. As with most single trip travel insurance it is more expensive, in the long run, than an annual policy.
Old Sep 8th 2013, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

sharonm5 will become famous soon enoughsharonm5 will become famous soon enough

Try insure and go. I travelled for 8 weeks before landing back and managed to land up being airlifted from Laos back to Thailand with dengue fever and had all medical expenses paid for... They were pretty good. Then I chipped a tooth which I have to get fixed... Still in the processor that (to a medical emergency!)
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

www.squaremouth.com

I have used them several times.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

I would never have thought about getting insurance for a trip like this. Not being critical, just didn't occur to me. Aren't you just getting on and off a plane or is there more to it?

In any case if you're paying with a credit card you may have some protections built in...check their website if that's the case.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 6:40 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by hotscot
I would never have thought about getting insurance for a trip like this. Not being critical, just didn't occur to me. Aren't you just getting on and off a plane or is there more to it?

In any case if you're paying with a credit card you may have some protections built in...check their website if that's the case.
One would hope that you are just getting on and off a plane, but what if your flight is redirected? Chances are small, but it has happened to me more than once. Left Calgary on a Friday night, arrived in my UK destination the following Tuesday evening, via Paris, due to Heathrow being closed by snow. Missed landing in LHR by 15 mins.
On another occasion, I left Vancouver for Hong Kong and was diverted to Osaka.

Some who are moving back home might do a bit of tour, like I did, and then sailed home. The issue we faced was repatriation. None of us wanted to be returned to the US or Canada and needed insurance that would send us to the UK in the event of an emergency.
Old Sep 11th 2013, 7:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond reputeHotscot has a reputation beyond repute

Oh yes if you're doing a tour I can see that.