Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to UK or Ireland

Returning to UK or Ireland

Old Feb 2nd 2016, 8:55 pm
Just Joined

GaryJ99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Returning to UK or Ireland

After 20 years in Australia and having retired we are considering moving back to the UK or Ireland. We have 2 daughters who will be 18 and 27 when we move (both have UK citizenship and passports) but I can't find any information about what if any financial support they will receive if they want to continue their education at college or Uni. Can they get student loans to pay for tuition and can they claim any living allowance or loan? Any help appreciated. Thanks
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 9:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to UK or Ireland

The UK does not grant "living allowances" to any student. I do not know if they would be eligible for loans, possibly would, but the most important thing to note is that they would be charged international fees.

The 27 year old is a bit old for education? How come she has not finished yet? I ask because I think the rules are different for mature students or ones that already have completed some tertiary education.
Old Feb 2nd 2016, 11:34 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

As this is more about the UK than about Oz, I will move this to the MBTTUK forum for you . Those on home turf may be better placed to advise.
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GaryJ99
After 20 years in Australia and having retired we are considering moving back to the UK or Ireland. We have 2 daughters who will be 18 and 27 when we move (both have UK citizenship and passports) but I can't find any information about what if any financial support they will receive if they want to continue their education at college or Uni. Can they get student loans to pay for tuition and can they claim any living allowance or loan? Any help appreciated. Thanks
In Ireland you only qualify if you have lived in an EEA state for 3 years (last 5 years). If you are interested in Ireland, I recently started a thread good to know with a few links, but most can be found on the citizens information site that I have posted here anyway.

Unfortunately the Ireland forum isn't that active and the only posters are either people who didn't do their homework, aren't in the country, or are frustrated & make any positive news negative news.

Overall, Ireland can be a great option and really depends what you are looking for and expect. Just like the UK, it's always location location, so budget will play a big part too. I moved to Ireland during the recession from the UK and know several people from the UK who are happy here and get on with their lives and manage very well. Student Grant Scheme
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 3:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

brits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond reputebrits1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GaryJ99
Hi, Under 19yr old do not pay for college education, Our eldest Son went to Uni and was offered Student loans for the course and for help with accommodation he did not need either (lived at home and had saved the then £9,000 fee for his 3 year course) our youngest is in his last year at Uni and was also offered the same financial help he "took out" the Student Loan and lives at home, he also has a grant which he uses to cover his transport, at the time of applying for University both of our Sons had not been in the UK full time since they were children and this was the information we gave each Uni. (both sons studied at different Universities). Sorry I cannot help you with Ireland. Good luck
Old Feb 3rd 2016, 10:54 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts
The UK does not grant "living allowances" to any student. I do not know if they would be eligible for loans, possibly would, but the most important thing to note is that they would be charged international fees.

The 27 year old is a bit old for education? How come she has not finished yet? I ask because I think the rules are different for mature students or ones that already have completed some tertiary education.
Actually, study at that age is very common and many universities offer additional resources for mature students.

I studied at Leicester and nearly half of full time students were mature (commencing at age 21 or greater) with a huge number, including myself aged over 30.

Facilities offered included a crèche, single parent housing, a mature students common room, additional funding for parents.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 1:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond reputeBermudashorts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by verystormy
Actually, study at that age is very common and many universities offer additional resources for mature students.

I studied at Leicester and nearly half of full time students were mature (commencing at age 21 or greater) with a huge number, including myself aged over 30.

Facilities offered included a crèche, single parent housing, a mature students common room, additional funding for parents.
Would they be people returning to education though? OP mentioned "continuing education" which sounded like the 27 year old had never left so presumably already has tertiary qualifications.

I know mature students are common, I started a second degree with OU myself when I was 38. I vaguely recall being asked if it was my first time studying for a degree and I got the impression that there was a funding implication, although I dont remember properly, but that was reason I mentioned it. It possibly was nothing though.
Old Feb 4th 2016, 10:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

verystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond reputeverystormy has a reputation beyond repute

I would say it is a mix. I went back to retrain after spending a fair few years previously. (I trained as a solicitor first time round).

There can be implications for fees depending on courses and other aspects. However, most universities will help students negatively impacted by things such as access funds and bursaries.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 12:53 pm
Just Joined

GaryJ99 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by verystormy
I would say it is a mix. I went back to retrain after spending a fair few years previously. (I trained as a solicitor first time round).

There can be implications for fees depending on courses and other aspects. However, most universities will help students negatively impacted by things such as access funds and bursaries.
Thanks everybody for your help. My eldest daughter has not been able to complete her tertiary education due to ongoing illness but now wants to try again after we relocate. She would be applying as a mature student. Incidentally it seems easier in Australia to get a uni place as a mature student than after leaving school.
My youngest will complete her secondary education with either an Australian Victorian Certificate of Education (sort of A level equivalent) or a Diploma in Beauty Therapy depending on her chosen path next year. She would like to go on to a degree in the same field either way.
Old Mar 24th 2016, 7:44 pm
wish I wasn't here!

Sparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond reputeSparkleydiva has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bermudashorts

At 26 my youngest has not yet finished her tertiary education - because she is now undertaking doctoral research, so 27 is not too old to be continuing anything. Education should always be a life long project anyway.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 4:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know if this is helpful, but I tutor online and examine for a well known UK university (not the OU) which runs distance learning programs of study for those wanting to do their entire degrees by distance.

Students enrol from all over the world and, this year in particular, I noticed an increase in those from the UK, actually living in the UK (there are always quite a few UK expats who enrol). While these students are "mature" they are not always that mature (in terms of age).

Prices are extremely reasonable for the entire degree (IMO).

Anyway, I've not put the name as I am not advertising: I'm just presenting possibilities.

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 25th 2016 at 4:40 pm.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

wheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud ofwheatsheaf has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Snowy560
I don't know if this is helpful, but I tutor online and examine for a well known UK university (not the OU) which runs distance learning programs of study for those wanting to do their entire degrees by distance.

Students enrol from all over the world and, this year in particular, I noticed an increase in those from the UK, actually living in the UK (there are always quite a few UK expats who enrol). While these students are "mature" they are not always that mature (in terms of age).

Prices are extremely reasonable for the entire degree (IMO).

Anyway, I've not put the name as I am not advertising: I'm just presenting possibilities.

S
Are these UK online distance learning degrees accepted in Canada? I have heard of instances where employers and even local employment related institutions (Ministry of Labour, Ministry Education, equivalency departments) do not. Some very tragic consequences where credibility of the individual is questioned.
Old Mar 25th 2016, 7:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Snowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond reputeSnowy560 has a reputation beyond repute

Well I do know that there is eligibility for (e.g.) BC student loans (for Canadian citizens/PRs) for these programs (the ones I work on). The exams are taken at local colleges (Langara for example in BC).

S

Last edited by Snowy560; Mar 25th 2016 at 7:24 pm.
Old Mar 26th 2016, 1:30 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Sparkleydiva
Education should always be a life long project anyway.
How patronising are you..
Old Mar 27th 2016, 1:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wheatsheaf
Are these UK online distance learning degrees accepted in Canada? I have heard of instances where employers and even local employment related institutions (Ministry of Labour, Ministry Education, equivalency departments) do not. Some very tragic consequences where credibility of the individual is questioned.
Depends. OU certainly is, in both USA and Canada.
I think it comes down to whether the University is, or is not, operating under a Royal Charter. Open University got its Royal Charter in 1970.
Oxford and Cambridge of course pre-date the existence of Royal Charters, so they don't have them (but are nonetheless widely accepted).

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.