Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK during pregnancy

Returning to the UK during pregnancy

Old Sep 15th 2009, 6:18 pm
Just Joined

LauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really nice
Default Returning to the UK during pregnancy

Hi all!

We've been in the US for about 2 and a half years, our Visa expires in April and we're planning to move back in March.

However, I've found out that I'm pregnant, so will be about 7-8 months along when we move back.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do I need to talk to a GP in the UK to arrange care before I move back?

I'd appreciate any advice!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Ozzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond reputeOzzidoc has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK during pregnancy

Originally Posted by LauraCA
Hi all!

We've been in the US for about 2 and a half years, our Visa expires in April and we're planning to move back in March.

However, I've found out that I'm pregnant, so will be about 7-8 months along when we move back.

Has anyone else experienced this? Do I need to talk to a GP in the UK to arrange care before I move back?

Are you moving back to your old UK address? Or close by? If so, I would write to or email your old GP explaining the situation. Ask them how you can get into the "maternity system" to book into hospital for delivery/have a community midwife with view to home birth.

You don't NEED to as such, but it would be a good idea.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:11 pm
Just Joined

LauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really niceLauraCA is just really nice

Thanks for your response Ozzidoc!

I will be moving back to the same address I lived in before, so I hope I'm still registered with the same GP as I didn't un-register when we left (it was always going to be a temporary move)

Hopefully they can book me into the 'system' without having seen me!
Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:17 pm
Homebody

Elvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond reputeElvira has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all!

Would you still have healthcare in the US if for any reason you were prevented from flying this late into the pregnancy?

Pregnancy complications are rare, but they can happen.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 7:25 pm
Just Joined

Yes, I will continue at my job in the US until the day before we fly, and therefore keep the healthcare along with it.

If the doctors think that there are any potential complications as it progresses, I will simply rearrange my flight to go back earlier if needs be.
Old Sep 15th 2009, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Rebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura about

Don't forget that you will need a letter from your current (US) doctor stating that you are safe to fly as you will be so far along.

Best of luck and congratulations!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 1:02 am

penguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond reputepenguinsix has a reputation beyond repute

You will need a letter showing you are ok to fly, and remember to drink lots of liquids as flying dehydrates you quite easily (and dehydration can lead to premature labor).

A wrinkle: if your child is born in the US, they will have automatic citizenship. You can still get them British citizenship, but this might be something that they would find valuable later in life during a gap year, looking for a job, etc.
Old Sep 16th 2009, 2:38 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the advice all.

We did think about the US citizenship piece, but the main reason not to do that is that our Visa expires 1 month before my due date, so without arranging to extend it, we'll have to leave before then, plus we didn't fancy the 11 hour flight with a newborn!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 3:05 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

We did think about the US citizenship piece, but the main reason not to do that is that our Visa expires 1 month before my due date, so without arranging to extend it, we'll have to leave before then, plus we didn't fancy the 11 hour flight with a newborn!
- there's always the QM2 ... could even be cheaper than flying!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 3:18 pm
Just Joined

Why didn't I think of that before?!
Old Sep 16th 2009, 4:01 pm
In the pink

Mallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond reputeMallory has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dunroving
- there's always the QM2 ... could even be cheaper than flying!
Plus, you can take loads more luggage! Baby stuff, etc.
Old Sep 17th 2009, 2:15 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

We did think about the US citizenship piece, but the main reason not to do that is that our Visa expires 1 month before my due date, so without arranging to extend it,
If you only have temporary visas you can't even think about US citizenship. But if your employer was willing to sponsor for a green card and you were eligible for a high priority category (you don't say) then do bear in mind that if you change your mind later on, the opportunity to become a US permanent resident will probably no longer be there.