Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

returning to uk from canada what do we have to tie up?

returning to uk from canada what do we have to tie up?

Old Apr 13th 2009, 12:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Bsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud of
Default returning to uk from canada what do we have to tie up?

We wondered, as permanent residents in canada, who we have to tell that we are leaving the country?

Specifically regarding taxes, we have just filed return for 2008 so what happens about 2009 - will we have to file one next year even though we are leaving Canada this June?

Also regarding child tax benefit and UCCB; the amounts deduced that we are entitled to for the year commencing July 2009, is that money we are entitled to claim even though we are leaving or should we tell that gov't dept we are leaving the country as i dont want to claim it and use it and then have to re-pay it all if its decided we should not have claimed it?

I don't really understand the tax system here as the return we just filed for 2008 determines the benefit we receive for the kids for this coming year?

So if anyone can shed light on this subject or tell us what they did would be so grateful.

Thanks
Old Apr 13th 2009, 12:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: returning to uk from canada what do we have to tie up?

Originally Posted by Bsidebaby
We wondered, as permanent residents in canada, who we have to tell that we are leaving the country?

Specifically regarding taxes, we have just filed return for 2008 so what happens about 2009 - will we have to file one next year even though we are leaving Canada this June?

Also regarding child tax benefit and UCCB; the amounts deduced that we are entitled to for the year commencing July 2009, is that money we are entitled to claim even though we are leaving or should we tell that gov't dept we are leaving the country as i dont want to claim it and use it and then have to re-pay it all if its decided we should not have claimed it?

I don't really understand the tax system here as the return we just filed for 2008 determines the benefit we receive for the kids for this coming year?

So if anyone can shed light on this subject or tell us what they did would be so grateful.

Thanks
We left Canada in July 2008 so we did have to do one final Canadian Tax return for the year 2008. I'm really don't understand the whole tax thing I left it for my OH to sort out with an accountant in Canada.

Anyway before I left I called Canada revenue to tell them we were leaving and provide them with a forwarding address and to make sure they didn't pay me Child benefit I was no longer entitled to. They were actually surprised I called apparently people don't usually bother.

This link might help with some of your questions:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/nnrsdnts.../lvng-eng.html