Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning to the UK after 8 years living in France.

Returning to the UK after 8 years living in France.

Old Jul 5th 2016, 8:44 am
Just Joined

clairbear is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Returning to the UK after 8 years living in France.

I am new to this forum and I am in desperate need of some help.
I moved to France almost 8 years ago to be with my partner who is French.
We have a 6 year old son together who was born in France.
My partner and I have separated and I have decided to move back to the UK with our son. At this moment my ex partner is yet to decide weather he will take me to court to try and claim full custody of our son and I am aware of my rights in terms of me trying to leave France with our son without his concent. We are still living together in his property. I am self employed and am planning to close my business and plan to return to the UK in a few months when I have saved some money.
My question is, when I return to the UK, will I be entitled to any financial help? I have phoned the DWP, HMRC, Local council, child support agency, child tax credits and citizens advice bereau. I have had no answers from anyone. They have said they don't know. The child support agency told me that I would need to wait three months before I can attelp to claim child benefits. I was refused information from citizens advice by an automated service as I was calling from outside of the UK.
I am aware that because I have been out of the country for so long that I would be required to take the habitual residency test which I am sure to fail as I have been away for many years.
This is an incredibly scary time for me. It has taken me years to find the courage to leave my toxic relationship. I can't go back to the UK and upon arrival be told that I am entitled to nothing for a minimum of 3 months when I have a minor to care for. I need to know whats what so I can prepare myself.
My next question is, am I obliged to register my son when I return to the UK? I have read on direct.gov that I would need to pay £255 to register my son in the UK.
I feel overwhelmed with worry and any information would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 9:45 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning to the UK after 8 years living in France.

Originally Posted by clairbear
My partner and I have separated and I have decided to move back to the UK with our son. At this moment my ex partner is yet to decide weather he will take me to court to try and claim full custody of our son and I am aware of my rights in terms of me trying to leave France with our son without his concent. We are still living together in his property. I am self employed and am planning to close my business and plan to return to the UK in a few months when I have saved some money.
My question is, when I return to the UK, will I be entitled to any financial help? I have phoned the DWP, HMRC, Local council, child support agency, child tax credits and citizens advice bereau. I have had no answers from anyone. They have said they don't know. The child support agency told me that I would need to wait three months before I can attelp to claim child benefits. I was refused information from citizens advice by an automated service as I was calling from outside of the UK.
I am aware that because I have been out of the country for so long that I would be required to take the habitual residency test which I am sure to fail as I have been away for many years.
This is an incredibly scary time for me. It has taken me years to find the courage to leave my toxic relationship. I can't go back to the UK and upon arrival be told that I am entitled to nothing for a minimum of 3 months when I have a minor to care for. I need to know whats what so I can prepare myself.
My next question is, am I obliged to register my son when I return to the UK? I have read on direct.gov that I would need to pay £255 to register my son in the UK.
I feel overwhelmed with worry and any information would be very much appreciated. Thank you.
Firstly your son is a British Citizen already if you are a British Citizen other than by descent. Not sure on the benefits side as you have been away for so long, but you will be able to apply for certain ones as you are a British citizen. You will be entitled to NHS treatment from day one as you will be resident, and that is all you need for that.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 10:04 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hello and a big welcome to BE.

Moderators deal with any problems that arise such as inappropriate posts, spammers etc, you will find their names at the bottom right hand side of each forum's index in bold font.

Please contact me if I can give you any further help.

Rosemary
Old Jul 5th 2016, 10:06 am

Rosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond reputeRosemary has a reputation beyond repute

There is a wealth of helpful information in this section of BE

Moving back to the UK - British Expats

Good luck

Rosemary
Old Jul 5th 2016, 12:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Hello...welcome to BE.

As your post contains quite a lot of information I will move it over to our Moving Back To The UK forum. I'm sure the people who hang out in that forum will be able to help answer your questions.

Good luck.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 1:20 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Unfortunately, when you come back, you won't be entitled to Job Seeker's Allowance (JSA) for three months.

You may get other benefits providing you satisfy the habitual residency test, including child benefit and housing benefit. On the basis of the history you have described, you should be able to satisfy the test.

You will be entitled to free NHS treatment from the moment you arrive.

You do not have to register your son.

You may need some charitable help, e.g from food banks.

In view of your son's dual nationality, and Brexit, it would be advisable for you to obtain French citizenship before you leave France, if you have not done so already.

Good Luck.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 1:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

morpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond reputemorpeth has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Editha
Unfortunately, when you come back, you won't be entitled to Job Seeker's Allowance (JSA) for three months.

You may get other benefits providing you satisfy the habitual residency test, including child benefit and housing benefit. On the basis of the history you have described, you should be able to satisfy the test.

You will be entitled to free NHS treatment from the moment you arrive.

You do not have to register your son.

You may need some charitable help, e.g from food banks.

In view of your son's dual nationality, and Brexit, it would be advisable for you to obtain French citizenship before you leave France, if you have not done so already.

Good Luck.
IF for JSA one has to wait three months but housing benefits available when habitual residence, if one is returning does that mean to be a habitual resident one was to enter into rental contract and then apply for housing benefits ?
Old Jul 5th 2016, 5:09 pm
Was in Canada, now home.

Editha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond reputeEditha has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, but I was wrong, the three month rule also applies to child benefit. Also, for child benefit, you have to show that you are 'ordinarily resident', not 'habitually resident', though I don't think the difference between the two definitions is very significant.

As far as the habitual residence test is concerned, have a look at this page on the Citizen's Advice site. Certainly, a rental contract would be evidence.

What is the position over child maintenance from your spouse? It may affect your entitlement to benefits.

Last edited by Editha; Jul 5th 2016 at 5:19 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2016, 5:31 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Someone has asked me if I can help with a bit of advice for your situation. I lived in France for 11 years and unfortunately quite a few of the women I knew ended up going through divorce and custody issues.

The biggest issue you are facing is child custody. I can't repeat that enough. That issue will impact yours and your child's future and not just financially. You seem to be aware that you cannot remove your child from France without the father's permission. France takes this very, very, very, very seriously. You must sort this out in France. I can only stress that you get good legal advice before you do anything - and I mean anything. Before you wind up your business even. Depending on where you live, I may be able to help with a lawyer who should at least give you a first interview free of charge.

You say that you have "separated" - what do you mean by this? If you weren't married, were you PACS (or whatever it is?) . If this separation is something done legally then you will be aware that you must go to the mairie for authorisation to remove the child from the country. AFAIK, you won't be able to get your child through passport control without it. I only say "AFAIK" because no-one I know has been foolish enough to try.

Last edited by petitefrancaise; Jul 5th 2016 at 5:54 pm. Reason: more info
Old Jul 6th 2016, 6:24 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise

You say that you have "separated" - what do you mean by this? If you weren't married, were you PACS (or whatever it is?) . If this separation is something done legally then you will be aware that you must go to the mairie for authorisation to remove the child from the country. AFAIK, you won't be able to get your child through passport control without it. I only say "AFAIK" because no-one I know has been foolish enough to try.
Hi from the France Forum.
This "sortie du territoire" had been abandoned in 2013, but is currently being reintroduced and is awaiting the Décrêt to be made law.

https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F1359

If your lawyer is too far away, the Assistante Sociale at the OP's Mairie (or in the nearest town if she lives in a small Commune) will point her in the direction of a pro bono Avocat.
But she could post again in the France forum on all the problems at this end, giving more details about her legal status. There are knowledgeable members who could advise...
Old Jul 6th 2016, 10:57 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dmu
Hi from the France Forum.
This "sortie du territoire" had been abandoned in 2013, but is currently being reintroduced and is awaiting the Décrêt to be made law.

https://www.service-public.fr/partic...osdroits/F1359

If your lawyer is too far away, the Assistante Sociale at the OP's Mairie (or in the nearest town if she lives in a small Commune) will point her in the direction of a pro bono Avocat.
But she could post again in the France forum on all the problems at this end, giving more details about her legal status. There are knowledgeable members who could advise...
Thanks DMU for catching that - last I heard was that it was possibly on the way out.
Old Jul 7th 2016, 7:01 am
dmu
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond reputedmu has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
Thanks DMU for catching that - last I heard was that it was possibly on the way out.
I believe it's being reintroduced primarily to prevent French minors from leaving France to join Daesh, but minors travelling without both parents will probably also be affected.