Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning from or Regretting going to Canada

Returning from or Regretting going to Canada

Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:25 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning from or Regretting going to Canada

Originally Posted by seacreature
Yes, exactly. Small and pretencious!

Doesn't it pretend to be New York run by the Swiss too?
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 1:19 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
"everyone", do you personally know everyone who has ever emigrated to Canada?

I don't regret moving to Canada at all, and I know many ex-pats who feel the same way.
snap! I have no regrets either, so that's at least two of us...
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 1:24 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian

Count me in too.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 1:25 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by macadian
Make that three....
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 1:40 am
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Make that three....
Gaazooks!! So many happy campers... should be a law against it...how will the forum survive???:scared:
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 2:11 am
Yorkshire meets Vegas

Pretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond reputePretty Flowers has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, exactly. Small and pretencious!
If you are going to mock me, at least please make the effort to spell properly!
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 2:41 am
BE Enthusiast

Interested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant futureInterested has a brilliant future

Seacreature please stop making generalisations about Canada and Toronto! What drew you to Toronto in the first place? Surely there must have been something you liked about the place? You came here despite your Nova Scotian friends telling you not to!

I think there are good reasons for the rudeness of many people here.

1) A lot of people in Toronto are very rich, hence suffer a superiority complex.
2) Many people here are immigrants from countries which don't put a high priority on manners and politeness.
3) Torontonians delude themselves into thinking they live in a fast paced edgey metropolis and therefore they tend to act accordingly.
4) Many people here cannot tolerate the hot summers, it makes them grumpy and bad tempered.

Seriously, I find notoriously rude Londoners to be friendlier than people here.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 9:53 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Hi again all. I remind you again of the title of the thread. I wasn't originally looking for people who are happy with the way things have gone, as the title suggests....the very opposite as I already have plenty of contacts, relatives and family who ARE happy with what has happened.

This is the reason I was looking for some balance. I was not looking for a debate on how great or not Toronto is or not or from people who don't/haven't done exactly what is in the title of the thread. There are plenty of other threads to posts in if you want that and I have read and benefited from many of them - hence the reason my app has been submitted.

I'm looking for the flip side to remove those rose tinted glasses ok ?

I hope that is finally clear to all who wish to post. Thanks for the relevant posts so far they have been great.

Anyone who is struggling with the concept of the thread, please contact me and I will endeavour to write it out in crayon for you.

Everyone have a great day !

Paul.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 11:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

I would think you would find people who love Canada and those who don't. But what do you want out of going there. People are people wherever you go in the world. Most of what peoples experiences will be is down to them as individual how they learn to adapt in another country, their outlook on life, whether they expect the world to make it easy for them or whether they are entrepreneurial (sp) to make it happen for them. Every country will have it irritates and great things. A place can be boring or interesting depending on how the individual makes it. People may regret going because suddenly they realise that emigrating can be hard and they are often alone and they don't have the support network that they originally had. Dealing with problems some people sail through them others make them a mountain and it bogs them down. some of the things I read on these forum that people complain about in their new country makes me laugh sometimes, because to me they are petty, but obviously to the person complaining it's a big deal.

But if you are deciding to emigrate there, you know some people already there, who as you say are happy, and I'm sure you will find many who may not be also. If someone from UK is living in the UK in nice area, good job, friends ect and they go to Canada or any country and suddenly they find themselves with no job, living in poorer conditions than they were previously and no friends they are not necessarily going to be as happy as someone who emigrated, had a better job, better lifestyle and made a load of new friends.

Some people blame the place that they have adopted rather than actually looking at themselves and their circumstances to why they don't like a country. I've loved places and hated at other times due to what is going on in my life at the time. If I'm happy I can love the place, I meet loads of people blah blah blah, however, if everything is going wrong for me, I can go into a negative mood, then my view may be different and I want to escape it, but at the end of the day the place is still the same.

Originally Posted by Tangram
Hi again all. I remind you again of the title of the thread. I wasn't originally looking for people who are happy with the way things have gone, as the title suggests....the very opposite as I already have plenty of contacts, relatives and family who ARE happy with what has happened.

This is the reason I was looking for some balance. I was not looking for a debate on how great or not Toronto is or not or from people who don't/haven't done exactly what is in the title of the thread. There are plenty of other threads to posts in if you want that and I have read and benefited from many of them - hence the reason my app has been submitted.

I hope that is finally clear to all who wish to post. Thanks for the relevant posts so far they have been great.

Anyone who is struggling with the concept of the thread, please contact me and I will endeavour to write it out in crayon for you.

Paul.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Paul.
Hellooohoo?....I'm reading you comments for a while now and find them very, very patronising!!!!!
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 12:46 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by flashman
Doesn't it pretend to be New York run by the Swiss too?
I'm married to a Swiss. Her complaint about Toronto is that it's absurdly over regulated (!)
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 1:50 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Hellooohoo?....I'm reading you comments for a while now and find them very, very patronising!!!!!
Not meant to be, but if people fail to read the topic in question and decide to post their own grievances, that is just plain rude. If thats whats required, start another thread. Not sure how many times I have to remind people about the subject of the thread.

Perhaps if you have an issue, you would like to pm me, leaving the thread open and uncluttered to people who wish to contribute to the topic in question.

Cheers.

Last edited by Tangram; Sep 2nd 2005 at 2:07 pm.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 2:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Not meant to be, but if people fail to read the topic in question and decide to post their own grievances, that is just plain rude. If thats whats required, start another thread. Not sure how many times I have to remind people about the subject of the thread.
You're being patronising in that you're asking about people's personal experiences, what caused them regret, but expect them to conform to your personal opinion of what constitutes a legitimate source of regret rather than being a "grievance". If you wish to limit responses a specific type of regret expressed in a specific fashion then, perhaps, a survey would be a better method. "The city is ugly and no one talks to me" is a reasonable response to the question "what do you regret about going to Canada ?" even if it's not on your list of acceptable responses. Such a regret will inevitably bring responses critical of the poster as well as potentially helpful ones, that's discussion, innit ?
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Always21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond reputeAlways21 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
You're being patronising in that you're asking about people's personal experiences, what caused them regret, but expect them to conform to your personal opinion of what constitutes a legitimate source of regret rather than being a "grievance". If you wish to limit responses a specific type of regret expressed in a specific fashion then, perhaps, a survey would be a better method. "The city is ugly and no one talks to me" is a reasonable response to the question "what do you regret about going to Canada ?" even if it's not on your list of acceptable responses. Such a regret will inevitably bring responses critical of the poster as well as potentially helpful ones, that's discussion, innit ?
Couldn't agree more. The very nature of message boards that discussions will go off on tangents (and as you say, the opinions are reasonable responses to the original question and therefore not much of a tangent). It gets really tiring when every third post is a request to get back on topic. Just because somebody starts a thread does not mean they own it.
Old Sep 2nd 2005, 3:20 pm
my arm aches

ladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond reputeladyofthelake has a reputation beyond repute

Paul.
What are you on??? This thread is not at all! After 70 odd answers, the subject is still on Canada, which is bloody good for this forum. Have you never been in the Lounge?? They usually go off topic after post 4

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.