Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning with new born Daughter - no time to get her a visa or or UK passport...

Returning with new born Daughter - no time to get her a visa or or UK passport...

Old Jan 27th 2009, 1:00 pm
Just Joined

scott.mcstay is an unknown quantity at this point
Exclamation Returning with new born Daughter - no time to get her a visa or or UK passport...

My wife is English - I'm an American with an Indefinite Leave to Remain visa. Our Daughter has been recently born in the US and she now has a US passport. We have not registered her birth with the UK Embassy and she does not have a UK passport.

Due to my employment situation I must travel back to the UK within the next two weeks. There is not time enough for us to get a visa for our daughter or a passport. Will they reject her at the UK border or give us time to sort things out from within the UK? Has anyone tried this?

Thank you for your help.

-Scott
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning with new born Daughter - no time to get her a visa or or UK passport...

Originally Posted by scott.mcstay
My wife is English - I'm an American with an Indefinite Leave to Remain visa. Our Daughter has been recently born in the US and she now has a US passport. We have not registered her birth with the UK Embassy and she does not have a UK passport.

Due to my employment situation I must travel back to the UK within the next two weeks. There is not time enough for us to get a visa for our daughter or a passport. Will they reject her at the UK border or give us time to sort things out from within the UK? Has anyone tried this?

Thank you for your help.

-Scott
We had exactly the same situation 3 weeks ago - daughter has US passport - applied for UK one but it didnt come in time and was ultimately rejected as I got a form correct. When we got to immigration they asked how long she was staying (I am sure if I said 2 weeks we would have been fine but its really not worth it) anyway explained that came home in a hurry and passport not through in time. The officer was very nice - went away and came back and she was given 2 months to get the paperwork - now applied for British passport which is MUCH cheaper over here. So my advice would be to be honest and open, stress the emergency nature of coming home.

Good luck!
Old Jan 27th 2009, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning with new born Daughter - no time to get her a visa or or UK passport...

BTW I assume you are permanently moving to the UK - if its only a visit then she doesnt need a passport or visa - just fill out the landing card
Old Jan 28th 2009, 8:02 am
BE Enthusiast

aasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud ofaasmith1957 has much to be proud of

hi i have a question,both myself and husband going back to uk perm hopefully this year have dual citizenship (au uk) .which passport do we use.i think a uk one as not going back to au but not sure ,could always go out on au one,pop over to paris and come back on uk one? any help please.
Old Jan 28th 2009, 10:56 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
hi i have a question,both myself and husband going back to uk perm hopefully this year have dual citizenship (au uk) .which passport do we use.i think a uk one as not going back to au but not sure ,could always go out on au one,pop over to paris and come back on uk one? any help please.

We left Aus on our Australian Passport, also used it when arriving and departing in Kuala Lumpur, but used our British passport to enter UK.

Sandra x
Old Jan 30th 2009, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Southern Ontario(house is SOLD on our way back to UK/aug 09)
dewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud ofdewdrop has much to be proud of

I recently applied for 3 children's british passports just last year 2008/Oct and it took 9days...if you apply now, you may still be able to get it!
good luck
Old Jan 30th 2009, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

we just got our daughters UK passport back in 1 week here in the UK
Old Feb 2nd 2009, 4:11 am
BE Enthusiast

USAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond reputeUSAGypsies has a reputation beyond repute

Just last month sent off for sons UK passport through British Consulate in Washington DC and put the date of travel on the application. Passport received in less than 2 weeks. I'd guess it was 9 or 10 days and I didn't have it expedited either.
Old Feb 7th 2009, 2:57 pm
Forum Regular

Kathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to allKathryn V is a name known to all

Originally Posted by aasmith1957
Hi

I would exit Oz with the Oz passport. We were Aus Citizens, but didn't have Oz passports so left Oz permanently on UK passports. I had a new UK passport, which I got through the British consulate in Adelaide. My PR visa (which was irrelevant once we became citizens) was in my old passport on its way back to the UK. So passport control wanted to know where the proof was that I was entitled to be in Oz. We had to have a chat with immigration and the lovely lady told us we had to let them know when were were travelling on foreign passports!

Kathryn
Old Feb 9th 2009, 3:27 pm
Just Joined

Martin_UK is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scott.mcstay

Thank you for your help.

-Scott
Hi All,

My wife and I are in a similar position... We are both English, we've been living in California for the last 2 years, our daughter is due the end of March, and we're planning to return to the UK at the end of May. Will we be able to apply for both a US and UK passport for our daughter straight away?
Old Feb 10th 2009, 2:42 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Martin_UK
Hi All,

My wife and I are in a similar position... We are both English, we've been living in California for the last 2 years, our daughter is due the end of March, and we're planning to return to the UK at the end of May. Will we be able to apply for both a US and UK passport for our daughter straight away?
She will be a U.S. citizen => needs U.S. passport.

Also, assuming one of you is British born, she will be a British citizen by descent => needs British consular birth certificate and British passport, available from the Embassy.
Old Feb 13th 2009, 9:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
She will be a U.S. citizen => needs U.S. passport.

Also, assuming one of you is British born, she will be a British citizen by descent => needs British consular birth certificate and British passport, available from the Embassy.
you dont need the british consular birth certificate to get the passport - once you have the passport why do you need the certificate?
Old Feb 14th 2009, 1:00 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
you dont need the british consular birth certificate to get the passport - once you have the passport why do you need the certificate?
In case the passport is lost, for starters! (it can be replaced without the birth certificate, but not as easily - especially many years later).
Also as an ongoing proof of citizenship should you decide not to renew the passport.

I find it amusing how many people argue so strongly against getting a document that in an insurance policy against a lot of hassle for the child later on.
Old Feb 14th 2009, 7:38 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by JAJ
In case the passport is lost, for starters! (it can be replaced without the birth certificate, but not as easily - especially many years later).
Also as an ongoing proof of citizenship should you decide not to renew the passport.

I find it amusing how many people argue so strongly against getting a document that in an insurance policy against a lot of hassle for the child later on.
Sorry - I wasnt arguing against it, just trying to understand the benefits
Old Feb 14th 2009, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Vancouver, BC (originally from Huddersfield, W. Yorkshire)
adele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond reputeadele has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kathryn V
Hi

I would exit Oz with the Oz passport. We were Aus Citizens, but didn't have Oz passports so left Oz permanently on UK passports. I had a new UK passport, which I got through the British consulate in Adelaide. My PR visa (which was irrelevant once we became citizens) was in my old passport on its way back to the UK. So passport control wanted to know where the proof was that I was entitled to be in Oz. We had to have a chat with immigration and the lovely lady told us we had to let them know when were were travelling on foreign passports!

Kathryn
Hi Kathryn

Just curious - does it feel good to be back in Huddersfield? What were your reasons for leaving Aus? I've just left Huddersfield for Vancouver so am interested to hear how you are finding life 'in the Hudd' after a few years away?

All the best

Adele

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.