Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Returning home after 12 years in US

Returning home after 12 years in US

Old Feb 25th 2016, 8:41 pm
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about
Default Returning home after 12 years in US

Hi thereWondering if anyone can help me with a few questions......I am recently separated from my husband who is American (hence the reason why I moved to the US in the first place) and have 2 beautiful girls aged 10 and 6. They were born here.
In June we are moving back to England with 2 trips each year for the girls to see their father and his family back here.I have my citizenship interview coming up soon so will have dual citizenship. There may be a time in the future I come back to live but it's all up in the air right now.
My questions are do I have to do US tax returns even in the UK and if so, how do I go about it?
Can I claim dependents even if they are not living in the US?Can you recommend a good international moving company (I am based in MA) to move some of my things ie., clothes, toys, small furniture items etc.
Can you recommend a good bank on the US side so that I can transfer money across without being in the US?
Any other tips I highly welcome. Both my girls have dual citizenship which is great. Will be living with my mum for a few months first to get ourselves settled in with schools and a job for me.
I will have a court agreement allowing me to go with my girls home. I know without that I can be arrested for kidnapping so it's all legal.
Thank you

Last edited by whistlestop01; Feb 25th 2016 at 8:46 pm.
Old Feb 25th 2016, 11:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

SanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond reputeSanDiegogirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Returning home after 12 years in US

Yes you have to file US tax returns - see below for details

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Inte...-Aliens-Abroad

Dependents? don't know the answer to this one - won't your ex husband have responsibilities for the children too?

We use Citibank to transfer money from US to UK all the time

Moving company - don't know.

Get US and UK passports for the girls.
Old Feb 26th 2016, 4:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

whistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura aboutwhistlestop01 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by SanDiegogirl
Yes you have to file US tax returns - see below for details

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Inte...-Aliens-Abroad

Dependents? don't know the answer to this one - won't your ex husband have responsibilities for the children too?

We use Citibank to transfer money from US to UK all the time

Moving company - don't know.

Get US and UK passports for the girls.

My ex husband will have responsibilities as well of course but if it's possible we will both claim a child each to make it fair.

Already have both British and American passports for the girls. Will have to renew my eldest daughters American passport as that has expired but that's easy enough.

Thanks
Old Feb 27th 2016, 5:03 pm
Just Joined

althorp99 is an unknown quantity at this point

When we moved from the UK to US/California 8 years ago we used the HSBC bank, we opened a premier account and it allows us to transfer money back and forth easily. They have locations all over the world so it won't be too difficult to find one.

Hope it all goes smoothly for you
Old Feb 28th 2016, 7:02 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

I fill out my US taxes each year and my Dd is still listed as a dependent. Seeing the kids will both be living with you, won't they both be on your taxes?
I think it asked when I was doing mine online, if she lived with me for more than 6 months of the year or something.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Part of our financial agreement is we claim one child each.

With regards to banks there isn't a HSBC here. Any other suggestions? There's Santander, TD Bank North, Bank of America.
Old Feb 29th 2016, 3:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by whistlestop01
Part of our financial agreement is we claim one child each.

With regards to banks there isn't a HSBC here. Any other suggestions? There's Santander, TD Bank North, Bank of America.
I live in Texas but opened an HSBC account online a few years back because I have an HSBC account in the UK and thought it might facilitate money transfers. As there are no HSBC ATM's in Texas a number of free cash withdrawals per month were allowed (no ATM fees). On-line banking with HSBC was very easy.

However I closed it after a while since I found XE.com to be really easy and cheaper to use for transferring money to and from the UK. This year I started using TransferWise which is just as easy but even cheaper than XE.com