Returning dogs to UK

Old Apr 22nd 2009, 7:39 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Returning dogs to UK

Ok - this may or may not happen - but just checking the situation.

Dogs came out with us to Canada in Dec -all jabbed up bit no bloods taken - from reading the defra info - if we want to go back - they need their bloods tested and if it comes back ok they can travel 6months AFTER this date?? is that right or am i reading it wrong? ?
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 7:44 pm
Forum Regular

Rebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura aboutRebster has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Returning dogs to UK

That is correct. The order must be:
1) microchip 2) rabies jab 3) titre drawn
then after the results of the titre showing immunity you must wait 6 months before bringing them into the UK without quarrantine.

If you bring them sooner then they need to go into quarrantine for the remainder of time left before the 6 months has passed
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 7:55 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon

Dogs came out with us to Canada in Dec -all jabbed up bit no bloods taken - from reading the defra info - if we want to go back - they need their bloods tested and if it comes back ok they can travel 6months AFTER this date?? is that right or am i reading it wrong? ?
There's some helpful info in the Shipping pets section of the MBTTUK Wiki: http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Catego...ack_to_the_UK_
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 10:46 pm
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Bells .....Yes you have it right, but i'll worn you it all costs a bloody fortune
Ps They will have to have the Rabies jabs again..........

Last edited by sans; Apr 22nd 2009 at 10:55 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2009, 11:52 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

hmm - well went to vets today - they were jabbed in Nov and were micro chipped prior to that - he didnt day they needed new rabies jabs . . .bloods gone off. . . 400 cdn dollars lighter!
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:01 am
half a century

Having lookde at the DEFRA site again - you only need to rabies jab them AGAIN if they werent microchipped before hand. Both of mine had been chipped well before their rabies jab in nov so that seems ok . .

Rebster - I assumed that if we come back before that 6 months date they only have to stay the remaining time in quarantine- not a full 6 months -- -will be broke otherwise

Also it says the certificate is valid for 4 months -does that mean after that period you have to go thru the whole bloods procedure again??
any way prob wont happen but hey ho . . .
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:02 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

sans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond reputesans has a reputation beyond repute

hmm - well went to vets today - they were jabbed in Nov and were micro chipped prior to that - he didnt day they needed new rabies jabs . . .bloods gone off. . . 400 cdn dollars lighter!
Bells that wont work........You have to get the 3rd country vets certificate and if its not done to the letter....It wont be valid. I'm sure you have checked the Defra site out and all the paper work you need.....If your not sure ring Defra up....

Mine had had the jabs March 07 before we left the UK and had to have the lot done again Dec 07 to return.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:04 am
half a century

Originally Posted by sans
Bells that wont work........You have to get the 3rd country vets certificate and if its not done to the letter....It wont be valid. I'm sure you have checked the Defra site out and all the paper work you need.....If your not sure ring Defra up....

Mine had had the jabs March 07 before we left the UK and had to have the lot done again Dec 07 to return.
oooohj bugger!! will check. . .
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:10 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

I think if you read the Defra site by about the 9th time, it all starts to become clear !
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:13 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

oooohj bugger!! will check. . .
Bells Read here............http://www.defra.gov.uk/animalh/quar...t-info/vac.htm
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:20 am
half a century

well I have read it . . . and read it - and it seems not to say they have to be jabbed again - - just that they must be up to date - -have emailed defra . . .
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:22 am
half a century

Originally Posted by sans
1. its date of birth/age
2. the microchip number, date of insertion and its location in the animal
3. date of vaccination
4. the vaccine manufacturer, product name and batch number
5. the date by which the booster vaccination must be given (the “Valid until” date) (calculated by reference to the vaccine manufacturer’s data sheet).

but it doesnt say any where that the canadian vet has to re jab them . . .. just got a bog standard reply from defra -we aim to reply to emails wihtin 15 days - will call them tomorrow.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:34 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

As I would understand things from your point of view : Your dog(s) already has a microchip and is up to date with rabies shots/boosters - so

Your vet needs to draw blood (noting the microchip number before taking blood!) and send off for the results and then complete this certificate - no more than 4 months before you fly. (from my link, you only need to print off pages 5, 6, and 7 ).

Edit - ref tick and tapeworm in the 24-48 hrs bit right before you fly - take note of woodwoodside's problems when they booked a Monday flight - proved difficult to get vet to do the tick and tapeworm stuff on the Sunday. Don't book a Monday flight home !!

Last edited by ann m; Apr 23rd 2009 at 12:37 am.
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:43 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

1. its date of birth/age
2. the microchip number, date of insertion and its location in the animal
3. date of vaccination
4. the vaccine manufacturer, product name and batch number
5. the date by which the booster vaccination must be given (the “Valid until” date) (calculated by reference to the vaccine manufacturer’s data sheet).

but it doesnt say any where that the canadian vet has to re jab them . . .. just got a bog standard reply from defra -we aim to reply to emails wihtin 15 days - will call them tomorrow.
The bloods are suppose to be taken 21 days after they have had the jab and thats the date your quarantine starts.......
A record of a previous rabies jab is not accepted, for the certificate, or at least it wasn't, when i was doing all this .......I had a right do with them over that one with my cats .
But see what they say, they may just totally contradict me .....but i'd hate for you to go through all that and then get refused at the last min...

They very nearly didn't let mine out of Manchester airport.......Because of the tick treatment........Apparently Canada doesn't have a tick treatment for cats........ So the vet gave them the one for dogs...and apparently their is something in it that can be deadly for cats
Old Apr 23rd 2009, 12:51 am
Sloopy Frickenbutt

Originally Posted by ann m
As I would understand things from your point of view : Your dog(s) already has a microchip and is up to date with rabies shots/boosters - so

Your vet needs to draw blood (noting the microchip number before taking blood!) and send off for the results and then complete this certificate - no more than 4 months before you fly. (from my link, you only need to print off pages 5, 6, and 7 ).

Edit - ref tick and tapeworm in the 24-48 hrs bit right before you fly - take note of woodwoodside's problems when they booked a Monday flight - proved difficult to get vet to do the tick and tapeworm stuff on the Sunday. Don't book a Monday flight home !!
Mmm must admit that does make sense..........

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.