Reload this Page >

Return to UK using minibus?

Return to UK using minibus?

Old Jul 10th 2008, 9:55 am
Just Joined

GlasgowGeek is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Return to UK using minibus?

Hi guys,

We hope to move to Spain sometime next year but seeing as a lot of people are moving back to the UK, i'd like to run this by you all:

The plan is to buy a used minibus (£1000-£1500), remove most of the seats, fill it with essentials and drive over. Once there and settled with paperwork etc. done i would want to sell the bus on or swap it for a Spanish car with Brits returning to the UK.

Does this sound like a good idea? How many of you would be prepared to buy/do a swap?

Thanks,
Glenn
Old Jul 11th 2008, 8:00 am
Banned

Bijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond reputeBijilo123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Return to UK using minibus?

No one will buy it because a UK specification RH Drive vehicle would be uninsurable.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:19 am
A rather curious boy

busterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond reputebusterboy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GlasgowGeek
Hi guys,

We hope to move to Spain sometime next year but seeing as a lot of people are moving back to the UK, i'd like to run this by you all:

The plan is to buy a used minibus (£1000-£1500), remove most of the seats, fill it with essentials and drive over. Once there and settled with paperwork etc. done i would want to sell the bus on or swap it for a Spanish car with Brits returning to the UK.

Does this sound like a good idea? How many of you would be prepared to buy/do a swap?

Thanks,
Glenn

I would be very careful in terms of leaving your wordly goods alone even for a second in minibus. I have had friends have their van emptied in minutes while using big UK service stations and really when travelling across the continent (especially Spain) vans are particularly vulnerable when parked up.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:33 am
BE Enthusiast

Pugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud ofPugsy has much to be proud of

At that price, easiest is to just scrap it. No one will buy it.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 11:49 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pugsy
At that price, easiest is to just scrap it. No one will buy it.
Sure. That's what i'd do if all else fails. But i imagine there would be people like us looking for a cheap way to get themselves and their stuff back and it would seem a shame to scarp it if it were still servicable.
Old Jul 11th 2008, 12:15 pm
Forum Regular

katu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nicekatu is just really nice

You would be better off hiring a van one way than trusting a cheap old minibus to make the journey. Plus a new engine would take far less fuel than an old one.

Alternatively, hire a minibus in Spain, drive to UK, fill it and drive it back, all insurance and road taxes will be inclusive of the hire price and it'll be cheaper than hiring a van in the UK (where they also don't like you taking them abroad), I'd have thought?
Old Jul 11th 2008, 12:32 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by katu
You would be better off hiring a van one way than trusting a cheap old minibus to make the journey. Plus a new engine would take far less fuel than an old one.

Alternatively, hire a minibus in Spain, drive to UK, fill it and drive it back, all insurance and road taxes will be inclusive of the hire price and it'll be cheaper than hiring a van in the UK (where they also don't like you taking them abroad), I'd have thought?
Well i'm not fit enough to do those sort of journeys anymore. I did look at one-way van hire but can't get anything with more than 3 seats, we need 4. I don't pay road tax anyway and the insurance quote i got (under £500) for a year includes all recovery and driving abroad for as long as i want. So i still think i have the best plan so far and i would still have up to 6 months using it in Spain while we get settled.