Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Return the the UK with US husband..can he use the NHS?

Return the the UK with US husband..can he use the NHS?

Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:02 am
Just Joined

virginiadare is on a distinguished road
Default Return the the UK with US husband..can he use the NHS?

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I returned to the UK from the USA 7 months ago with my new US husband. He entered the UK with a spouse visa..valid for 2 years (upon which he can renew it here) which says he has no recourse to public funds. I was wondering can he access the NHS? He had a bad bought of tonsilitis recently and I had no clue as to how to get him a doctor. Can he go to any doctor...NHS or otherwise... or does he need to find a private doctor and just pay for healthcare?

Many thanks
virginiadare
Old Feb 12th 2007, 8:36 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Return the the UK with US husband..can he use the NHS?

Originally Posted by virginiadare
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I returned to the UK from the USA 7 months ago with my new US husband. He entered the UK with a spouse visa..valid for 2 years (upon which he can renew it here) which says he has no recourse to public funds. I was wondering can he access the NHS? He had a bad bought of tonsilitis recently and I had no clue as to how to get him a doctor. Can he go to any doctor...NHS or otherwise... or does he need to find a private doctor and just pay for healthcare?

Many thanks
virginiadare
I believe that if he is a resident he is eligible for free health care. Just register him as a patient at your local GP, listng your address.

I don't think the NHS even turn away tourists who needed health care.

You can tell your hubby is yet another way in which the UK beats the US.
Old Feb 12th 2007, 11:20 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Return the the UK with US husband..can he use the NHS?

Originally Posted by virginiadare
Hi,

He is entitled to use the NHS.