Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Return home to be a carer for mum?

Return home to be a carer for mum?

Old Jul 4th 2014, 4:46 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Return home to be a carer for mum?

Seemingly from what the social worker told my mum I would get housing benefit. so my rent would be paid and I allowed to work another job and make up to 100 pounds per week.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 4:56 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=spouse of scouse;11325083]Stop being so sensible!

I thought (probably wrongly!) that morayeel would have another source of income to supplement the allowance for caring for her Mum. If not then yes, 61 pounds a week probably won't cut it.

If she's a carer and lacks savings she may be able claim housing benefit which would cover her rent.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 5:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

morayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond reputemorayeel has a reputation beyond repute

social worker told my mum I could claim housing benefit.. typing one handed with baby in lap!
Old Jul 4th 2014, 7:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

feelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond reputefeelbritish has a reputation beyond repute

I would not take the word from a social worker only. Even at £100 week with accommodation paid it is going to be very hard living. What about food, council tax (maybe they pay that) entertainment, transport, tv, internet, phone etc. I would still move in with mum for the first three months or so without doggies and then see if you can get benefits.
Friend of mine fell on hard times nearly 2 years ago and waited almost a year to get a 1 bed flat in her area as she had to wait for someone to vacate one and she has lived there all her life!
I do agree with SOS a move back may just be what you need in your circumstances and I also encourage you to go back but you also need to see the practicalities. You never know, after a while you may find a really better paying job and get your flat and then bring out the doggies.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 8:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Good Advice. Going to keep working and save more money up. Trailer is up for sale so will have money from that when it sales. That way I will have more money to take over with me..
Old Jul 5th 2014, 3:56 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by feelbritish
I would not take the word from a social worker only. Even at £100 week with accommodation paid it is going to be very hard living. What about food, council tax (maybe they pay that) entertainment, transport, tv, internet, phone etc. I would still move in with mum for the first three months or so without doggies and then see if you can get benefits.
Friend of mine fell on hard times nearly 2 years ago and waited almost a year to get a 1 bed flat in her area as she had to wait for someone to vacate one and she has lived there all her life!
I do agree with SOS a move back may just be what you need in your circumstances and I also encourage you to go back but you also need to see the practicalities. You never know, after a while you may find a really better paying job and get your flat and then bring out the doggies.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 10:14 pm
WhiteRabbit

rebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond reputerebeccajo has a reputation beyond repute

Try sending an email to the Citizens Advice Bureau.
Old Jul 6th 2014, 2:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the link. Will e mail them..
Old Jul 6th 2014, 2:29 am
BE Enthusiast

Right now it's hard living here!! I work part time at walmart. Get around 28 hours at $8.40 and hour and no benefits. I babysit and get $100 per week. My car is on its last legs. I need dental work and lab work done every 3 months so if I were getting help with rent and working as carer and not having to worry about my doctors visits and dentist being so very expensive I think I would fare better. Still looking into it. Only 5 vacation days every 2 years with Walmart too..! and no short or long term disability
Old Jul 18th 2014, 10:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Morayeel - if you do move, Skype will become your best friend. If you and your family are not already users, start getting into the swing of it already. You can be there at all the important moments (birthdays etc) and will make the separation a bit more bearable.
Old Jul 18th 2014, 11:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

thanks Sherbert. weighing all decisions at moment. Some days I feel like going mad. Yes, we are Skype users and if I decide to go for sure that will be a lifesaver. Thank you.