Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Renting property ahead or arriving back in UK

Renting property ahead or arriving back in UK

Old Nov 5th 2012, 3:51 pm
Forum Regular

rudd is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting property ahead or arriving back in UK

We are moving back to the UK on the last week of February. Our plan to to rent a place while we are still in the US. The main reason I would like to get a place ahead of our arrival is that we will be bringing back out cat. A couple of questions.

Are agencies/landlords will to let without meeting the potential tenant?
Will there be issues with a security deposit?

We have been out of the UK almost 4 years. WE did keep our property and have been renting it and keeping up mortgage payments so we have some credit history. We do not plan to move back into the flat we own as we currently have tenants in it and our family has grown in the last few years.

All thought and suggestions appreciated.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 7:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

holly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond reputeholly_1948 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renting property ahead or arriving back in UK

I strongly suspect it is the kind of thing that varies greatly from region to region. So if you say the place(s) you have in mind you are less likely to get comments that don't really apply.

As a general comment, the further you are going to be from London the easier it will be. But you knew that!

Last edited by holly_1948; Nov 5th 2012 at 8:04 pm. Reason: clarification
Old Nov 5th 2012, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by holly_1948
I strongly suspect it is the kind of thing that varies greatly from region to region. So if you say the place(s) you have in mind you are less likely to get comments that don't really apply.

As a general comment, the further you are going to be from London the easier it will be. But you knew that!
I do I will be looking in south east London.
Old Nov 5th 2012, 8:27 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rudd
We are moving back to the UK on the last week of February. Our plan to to rent a place while we are still in the US. The main reason I would like to get a place ahead of our arrival is that we will be bringing back out cat. A couple of questions.

Are agencies/landlords will to let without meeting the potential tenant?
Will there be issues with a security deposit?

We have been out of the UK almost 4 years. WE did keep our property and have been renting it and keeping up mortgage payments so we have some credit history. We do not plan to move back into the flat we own as we currently have tenants in it and our family has grown in the last few years.

All thought and suggestions appreciated.
Hi Rudd,

I currently rent my place in UK through an agency. How does it work? The agent finds someone interested and then emails me a bit about them to confirm I am OK with the people/persons and agree a rental rate, the agent then produces the lease agreement for 12 months, which is signed and the tenant pays the first month rent and the security deposit (which is deposited with an independent holding organisation so that I never see it nor do the Agent and that any disputes are independently arbitrated).

If you want to do it from abroad you may need to consider something likke a short-term/holiday let initially, whilst you establish yourself in the UK for a longer term rental as the procedure the agency and I use will not work for you remotely.

This is just one current example but offer it for your consideration.
ciao GM
Old Nov 6th 2012, 2:56 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks all. Given the risk of finding a place unseen and then the possible issues with credit checks I am now considering leaving my flat empty for three month and then move back in there and use it as a base.
Old Nov 6th 2012, 3:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

fulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond reputefulwood has a reputation beyond repute

Rudd I think idea of using your own flat is a great idea..
Old Nov 6th 2012, 3:04 pm
Dunroaming back in UK

Garbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond reputeGarbatellamike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fulwood
Rudd I think idea of using your own flat is a great idea..
+1