Wikiposts

Renting Issues - U.K

Old Feb 25th 2011, 10:26 pm
Just Joined

desertflowers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renting Issues - U.K

I now thinking I have been far too optimistic about our move back to the UK.

Have been contacting Estate Agents regarding properties to let. Seems they all request 3 months bank account, references, credit checks - UK only bank / addresses / references!!!!

How on earth do people manage to rent a property in the U.K after living abroad for many years.

All our paperwork is from abroad! We will not be able to provide those details.

One agent mentioned that if we can provide 1 year upfront the landlord may agree ~ Who would want to part with 13,000 pounds in one go!

I would agree to a couple if a few months in advance but no more, what if you were to incur problems from the landlord or they did not abide by contractual agreements.

No idea what to do, any ideas?

Now I'm wondering if leasing a car will be problematic also.

Arrrrrghhh have not arrived yet and its already annoying me, I think we have been spoilt with the relaxed system we currently live in.
Old Feb 26th 2011, 7:29 am
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Renting Issues - U.K

Originally Posted by desertflowers

Have been contacting Estate Agents regarding properties to let. Seems they all request 3 months bank account, references, credit checks - UK only bank / addresses / references!!!!

How on earth do people manage to rent a property in the U.K after living abroad for many years.

One agent mentioned that if we can provide 1 year upfront the landlord may agree ~ Who would want to part with 13,000 pounds in one go!

I would agree to a couple if a few months in advance but no more, what if you were to incur problems from the landlord or they did not abide by contractual agreements.

Arrrrrghhh have not arrived yet and its already annoying me, I think we have been spoilt with the relaxed system we currently live in.
That doesn't sound good at all! You would think they would except bank statements from abroad at least. I think asking for a year up front is too much I would offer six months but that's it.
We can't seem to get any estate agents to get back to us they are a nightmare to deal with where we are going!
I'm thinking we may just buy a caravan and live in that for a the time being!
Good luck and let us know how you get on, i'll be watching to see what others post see if they've had any of the same issues. Where abouts are you going back to?
Old Feb 27th 2011, 12:52 am
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

I don't know where you are, but we had the same difficulties when we moved to the US at first. Had a hell of a time buying a car until we finally found a dealer willing to consider our foreign credit history.

Have you considered renting a furnished holiday home for the first few weeks/months while you look for a place? Or one of those corporate furnished flats used by companies when they relocate people? They're both expensive options though.

I have heard of people having to start with a 6 months lease and pay 6 months upfront, but I haven't heard of a year. Perhaps it depends on the area you're moving to and how in demand rentals are?

Remember, if you find something that's advertised privately (local papers or Tepilo.com), you won't have to jump through all the hoops - it's the letting agents who put all these roadblocks up.
Old Feb 27th 2011, 1:46 am
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Do NOT pay 12 months rent up front! It is not worth the risk as you never know whether a landlord is irresponsible, whether the neighbours are the local mafia, or whether the house will flood every time it rains for more than one day straight (that happened to me in my first rental in 2000).

It is a landlord's market now, as many people can't get mortgages and so are looking for rentals. From prior posts on a similar topic, landlords and agents will often be satisfied with other evidence such as a work contract (or letter from employer), copy of bank balance, etc.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 4:31 pm
Just Joined

Donnavan is an unknown quantity at this point

When we first moved to the UK from South Africa we had similar issues. I agree with PP, do not pay 12 months up front. We managed to get a 6 month lease and paid 2 months deposit up front. We had to get a referral from a British based, non family member (this just means a different surname - my mums cousin provided us with a letter of referral). Do you know anyone that could do this for you? Also try some of the smaller estate agents they are more likely to bend the rules taking into account your circumstances. Good luck!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 6:39 am
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

Originally Posted by fatcat65
That doesn't sound good at all! You would think they would except bank statements from abroad at least. I think asking for a year up front is too much I would offer six months but that's it.
We can't seem to get any estate agents to get back to us they are a nightmare to deal with where we are going!
I'm thinking we may just buy a caravan and live in that for a the time being!
Good luck and let us know how you get on, i'll be watching to see what others post see if they've had any of the same issues. Where abouts are you going back to?
when do you go back fatcat?
and where are you thinking of going back to?
We were in Cochrane the other day .....nice and so are the mountains,but we have a beautiful country too eh?
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:26 pm
Onwards and upwards!

fatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of lightfatcat65 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Cumbrian Lass
when do you go back fatcat?
and where are you thinking of going back to?
We were in Cochrane the other day .....nice and so are the mountains,but we have a beautiful country too eh?
Hi Cumbrian Lass, my youngest son and I go back on the 12th March, so not long now.
We are heading up to Morecambe initially and staying with my best friend and her family for a while. I'll look for a job when I get back but we are applying all over the place so where ever the first good offer comes up, that's where we'll end up i guess.
I would prefer to stay up in that area though as I love it up there. I love the night life in Lancaster and the relaxed friendly village that my friend lives in so fingers crossed we can get work up there.
Yes Cochrane is a beautiful place and the people here are so friendly, but there is many problems in the town that many don't see if you don't mix in certain circles. There's a massive drug problem amongst the young, many have drink problems, and many have to work 2 jobs to make ends meet. I know that's the same as many areas but a lot of people don't see that side of things, but I have and its not as rosy for many in the town as it appears.
However, I have enjoyed living here apart from the crappy bars and no public transport in town. Also many stores are more expensive here than in Calgary, Olds is even cheaper for food and stuff.
Anyway i'm glad we came but now i'm glad we're going and looking forward to the future, where ever, we end up!
Where are you living?
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 1:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Cumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really niceCumbrian Lass is just really nice

WOW thats where we intend to go back to too !!!!!
Lancaster,Garstang,Kendal area. We are from the Whitehaven/Workington area's and find the house prices are half of what the rest of the country are.Mainly because there is only Sellafield there to work at,and you are also isolated to the rest of the country. So we will go back in May to decide on an area and then fingers crossed our house sells.
So just you and your son are going back?
I really miss the UK now.....never did until a couple of years ago,then it just hit me.Anyone that has never moved away doesnt know what it feels like.I get comments on why we are going back,but really it doesnt matter.We have been there and done it,they have'nt and dont know.
Keep in touch and let me know how your venture goes in the UK
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:04 pm
Onwards and upwards!

WOW thats where we intend to go back to too !!!!!
Lancaster,Garstang,Kendal area. We are from the Whitehaven/Workington area's and find the house prices are half of what the rest of the country are.Mainly because there is only Sellafield there to work at,and you are also isolated to the rest of the country. So we will go back in May to decide on an area and then fingers crossed our house sells.
So just you and your son are going back?
I really miss the UK now.....never did until a couple of years ago,then it just hit me.Anyone that has never moved away doesnt know what it feels like.I get comments on why we are going back,but really it doesnt matter.We have been there and done it,they have'nt and dont know.
Keep in touch and let me know how your venture goes in the UK
I sure will, the village is Halton where my friends live, it beautiful and very friendly too. We will have to go and have a couple of drinks when you get back. my hubby and oldest son are joining us in May so you may end up on the same flight!!
As they say....i'll catch you on the flip side!!
Old Mar 2nd 2011, 2:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by fatcat65
I sure will, the village is Halton where my friends live, it beautiful and very friendly too. We will have to go and have a couple of drinks when you get back. my hubby and oldest son are joining us in May so you may end up on the same flight!!
As they say....i'll catch you on the flip side!!
OOOOO we have been looking on rightmove at houses in Halton.Hey we might be on that flight too....hope so !
how old are you son's?
I have a 13yrs old who i worry about over there.He is very quiet and will be a year or so behind when he returns.I just hope he blends in well.......
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 3:07 am
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

I came back Jan 31st. I organized the house rental from Canada. Found places online and spoke to estate agents. I finally found place I really liked in the right area. They initially wanted 6 months up front, but I asked them to speak to the landlord to see if he would waive it. He agreed with a letter from our employer and other normal stuff. We paid a security deposit of 1 month's rent +100 pounds to hold it for us, then we paid the first month the day we picked up the keys. After we had a bank account set up i set up a standing order and we were good to go.

Maybe I got lucky, but it was alot of hard work and finagling.

reeni
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 3:28 am
BE Enthusiast

OOOOO we have been looking on rightmove at houses in Halton.Hey we might be on that flight too....hope so !
how old are you son's?
I have a 13yrs old who i worry about over there.He is very quiet and will be a year or so behind when he returns.I just hope he blends in well.......
where were you from originally fatcat ?
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 4:47 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Welcome to the UK. I have just returned after 30 years absence and find the red tape mind boggling. I am surprised anything gets done. I suppose it depends who you are dealing. As a cash buyer, in a depressed property market, I have lost count of the agents who have failed to get back to me after making enquires about purchasing a property. Regarding rentals, most ask for six months in advance, that is probably the best you will do. Don't expect much help from the banks either and god forbid you should ask for a credit card.
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 2:19 pm
Finally Home!

sallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond reputesallysimmons has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by reeni
I came back Jan 31st. I organized the house rental from Canada. Found places online and spoke to estate agents. I finally found place I really liked in the right area. They initially wanted 6 months up front, but I asked them to speak to the landlord to see if he would waive it. He agreed with a letter from our employer and other normal stuff. We paid a security deposit of 1 month's rent +100 pounds to hold it for us, then we paid the first month the day we picked up the keys. After we had a bank account set up i set up a standing order and we were good to go.

Maybe I got lucky, but it was alot of hard work and finagling.

reeni
Hard work is the key. Well done! How are you finding being back?
Old Mar 3rd 2011, 5:54 pm
Forum Regular

reeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud ofreeni has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by sallysimmons
Hard work is the key. Well done! How are you finding being back?
As a ping-ponger I was better prepared this time and decided not to bring the rose coloured glasses. I knew that the red-tape and pedantic nature would be something I would have to deal with.

I had to use the PALS service to prove i was here permanently and get a special letter to allow me and my children the use of the NHS. It was a painful process till I found out I needed one. That is a long and pathetic story of poor GP management, but i am sure that is down to the specific GP office. The school had a little bit of hick-ups in getting the older ones started - but once they did - the kids love it. Both have been put in at top levels. One in Year 10 and the other in year 7. My year 7 is like the pied piper ...but it is girls trailing him. The girls all think he is adorable >.< maybe i can sell him who knows lol

I am loving being back. It is like putting on a comfortable pair of slippers. I have already lost weight with all the walking i have been doing. The kids are eating better and liking the food more. There will be bumps i will have to get over and things thrown in my way, but i will get there. I have found out that it is about NOT comparing the 2 countries and it is about just getting on with it. When I came back the first time, I ranted and complained about "well it doesn't work this way in Canada" lol of course not .....it's England. It's like marmite love or hate it - but it has it's own special flavour.

I feel better this time, maybe it is because i am older or more settled, lol even just plain tired, but what ever it is i think it will work out this time.

reeni

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.