Rent and mortgage

Old Jan 11th 2015, 10:11 am
Just Joined

Coedyddinas1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Rent and mortgage

Hi
Hoping someone can help me regarding renting a property in the uk and also how difficult it would be to get a mortgage. My husband and I are planning on moving back in 12 months, I will go first and get a job and husband will follow after I get a job. Have been thinking of doing the move for years and have been following threads on here but now I think we are definite about the move. I've been in Australia 21 years, my husband is australian but we both have british and Australian passports, no kids, so hopefully the move won't be too difficult.
Old Jan 11th 2015, 8:08 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rent and mortgage

Originally Posted by Coedyddinas1
Hi
Hoping someone can help me regarding renting a property in the uk and also how difficult it would be to get a mortgage. My husband and I are planning on moving back in 12 months, I will go first and get a job and husband will follow after I get a job. Have been thinking of doing the move for years and have been following threads on here but now I think we are definite about the move. I've been in Australia 21 years, my husband is australian but we both have british and Australian passports, no kids, so hopefully the move won't be too difficult.
Hi, We rented our property from NZ. We looked on rightmove at the area we were interested in and found a couple that looked good. We did street view etc and mil kindly did a 2 hr trip to view on our behalf.
All looked good so we went for it from NZ, our choice was pay six months rent up front to avoid the credit check or don't and have a credit check done. We decided not to pay up front, for the credit check they contacted our NZ landlord and my husbands employer. We paid the relevant fees and arranged which day we would collect the keys. Job done. Once you have jobs a mortgage should be easy as well.
Good luck
Old Jan 13th 2015, 2:27 am
Just Joined

Coedyddinas1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Hi, We rented our property from NZ. We looked on rightmove at the area we were interested in and found a couple that looked good. We did street view etc and mil kindly did a 2 hr trip to view on our behalf.
All looked good so we went for it from NZ, our choice was pay six months rent up front to avoid the credit check or don't and have a credit check done. We decided not to pay up front, for the credit check they contacted our NZ landlord and my husbands employer. We paid the relevant fees and arranged which day we would collect the keys. Job done. Once you have jobs a mortgage should be easy as well.
Good luck
Thanks for your reply, this is very helpful, do you have any information on shipping companies? Have you arrived in the UK?
Old Jan 13th 2015, 7:49 am
BE Enthusiast

Wombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond reputeWombat7 has a reputation beyond repute

I also used Rightmove, found a property that we liked the look of. contacted the agent, who contacted the owner but the owner was not prepared to do the transaction at distance. In the end my partner came over first and found a place. It took about 10 days - we paid six months upfront.
Old Jan 13th 2015, 7:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Coedyddinas1
Thanks for your reply, this is very helpful, do you have any information on shipping companies? Have you arrived in the UK?
Hi
Yes we are now in the UK and love being back. We used pickfords and couldn't fault them.