Renew UK Driving License

Old Aug 12th 2020, 6:52 pm
Forum Regular

countrygirl33 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Renew UK Driving License

I have retired in USA and have had a flat in UK for 6 years where I plan on spending more months of the year .. My old UK green license has my mum's address and I need to change to my flat .. However, the form asks if you have lived in another country in past two years.. Has anyone changed the address on UK paper license ? If so, will having lived in USA past two years make a difference,. Will they not allow me to get a new license with my new UK address. Thank you ..
Old Aug 12th 2020, 8:03 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Renew UK Driving License

Originally Posted by countrygirl33
I have retired in USA and have had a flat in UK for 6 years where I plan on spending more months of the year .. My old UK green license has my mum's address and I need to change to my flat .. However, the form asks if you have lived in another country in past two years.. Has anyone changed the address on UK paper license ? If so, will having lived in USA past two years make a difference,. Will they not allow me to get a new license with my new UK address. Thank you ..
It is illegal to apply for a renewed driving licence if you are not a resident of the UK. You cannot use your UK address as you are not a resident. Paper licences have not been issued for many years. Use your US DL when visiting the UK.

I know you didn’t ask this but you are not eligible to use the NHS either.

Last edited by Jerseygirl; Aug 12th 2020 at 8:05 pm.
Old Aug 12th 2020, 9:32 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I have retired in USA and have had a flat in UK for 6 years where I plan on spending more months of the year ...
"More months" than you have been, or "more months" each year than in the US? You will almost certainly be resident and tax resident* where you spend the majority of your time each year, so if you spend most of your year in the UK then you will be eligible to have your licence reissued when you return to live (most of the year) in the UK, as per JG, above. If you are only visiting the UK and will remain ordinarily resident and tax resident in the US, then you can (will be required to) use your US license while you are visiting the UK.

* It will behoove you to decide where you intend to be tax resident and then plan your travel accordingly i.e. spending the majority of time in the same country each year, not flipping back and forth spending more time in one country one year, and more in the other the next.
Old Aug 13th 2020, 1:50 am
Forum Regular

Well , my plan is to make the UK my primary residence , so I thought I was able to update my green paper license ..
Old Aug 13th 2020, 1:52 am
Forum Regular

Thank you , I should have made it clear that I plan to be primary resident in the UK and paying taxes . I just hope I can update my driving license without having to wait 2 years ..
Old Aug 13th 2020, 2:00 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Well , my plan is to make the UK my primary residence , so I thought I was able to update my green paper license ..
Green?

They are no longer paper, and I don't think they've been green since the 1980's.

Once you get back to the UK you can apply to have your licence reissued. I think the recent foreign license email question is only relevant for countries which will swap a British licence for a local one, so I don't think disclosing that you have had a US license will impact you at all.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

lauraloulou is an unknown quantity at this point

I also just found my green one from 1985!! Hoping they will not make me take the test again.
Old Aug 21st 2020, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

durham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond reputedurham_lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauraloulou
I also just found my green one from 1985!! Hoping they will not make me take the test again.
I got my green(?) one in 1973, spent 29 years in the USA from 1987, and then switched it out for a new picture id when I returned with no need for a new test.
Old Sep 5th 2020, 1:43 pm
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

Your UK DL is for life, unless it is removed for any reason, but that will be by the courts. Just apply when you get to the UK, your green one IS STILL VALID and you just need to get it changed when you are living here.
Old Sep 5th 2020, 10:15 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lauraloulou
No, your entitlements remain valid. You’ll just need to update your address when you return which will lead to you being issued a new photocard licence.