Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Removal companies and what goes in a 20' container

Removal companies and what goes in a 20' container

Old Oct 19th 2021, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

ramram49 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Removal companies and what goes in a 20' container

Hi - we are looking for removal company recommendations to move us from St. Albert in Alberta to Northern Ireland, UK. Any recommendations? Also, has anyone got a guide / info on what we can fit into a 20' container? Thanks
Old Oct 20th 2021, 2:50 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Removal companies and what goes in a 20' container

Originally Posted by ramram49
Hi - we are looking for removal company recommendations to move us from St. Albert in Alberta to Northern Ireland, UK. Any recommendations? Also, has anyone got a guide / info on what we can fit into a 20' container? Thanks

Don't know how reliable it is, but I was told by a company that an average 2-bed apartment will fit into a 20ft container.

Many moving company sites have calculators on them, where you plug in what you have and they say how much space you need. Google will probably find you some, too.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 4:05 pm
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

I was going to post my removal list but it's a PDF and I can't remove personal details from it, so I've summarised it in the attached in case it helps at all. It has the total volume in square feet and in square metres and the total weight. It all fitted into a 20 ft container. We left behind two couches, one four seater and one three seater, but they'd have (just) fitted as well.

The cartons contained everything I wanted to take that could be, well, packed in a carton. Bedding, clothing, kitchenware, small appliances etc etc etbloodyc. I've listed the number of cartons, plus all the other items which were packed individually, either in custom padded containers such as the TV, paintings, mirrors etc, or shrink wrapped such as the mattresses.

Hope it helps a bit.

Oh, hang on! The first figures aren't for volume, they're for floor space!
Spoiler:
Volume 944square feet

Volume 29square metres

Weight 2,315kg

60 cube removal cartons

26 lay flat removal cartons

Plus items packed individually (ie not in cartons)

2 large mirrors

Chest of drawers

Queen size bed

Queen size mattress

Bedside table

Double bed

Double mattress

Double bed

Double mattress

Linen basket

Tumble dryer

Washing machine

2 large paintings

2 clothes airers

Tool box

Upright vacuum cleaner

Large dining table

6 dining chairs

Large display cabinet

3 Large houseplants

Printer

3 large rugs

Large garden table

Four garden chairs

Stepladder

Wheelbarrow

Steamer chest

Hall table

Large wall clock

Microwave

Coffee table

Nest of tables

Standard lamp

TV cabinet

Large TV

Last edited by spouse of scouse; Oct 20th 2021 at 4:13 pm.
Old Oct 20th 2021, 5:53 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by spouse of scouse
I was going to post my removal list but it's a PDF and I can't remove personal details from it, so I've summarised it in the attached in case it helps at all. It has the total volume in square feet and in square metres and the total weight. It all fitted into a 20 ft container. We left behind two couches, one four seater and one three seater, but they'd have (just) fitted as well.

The cartons contained everything I wanted to take that could be, well, packed in a carton. Bedding, clothing, kitchenware, small appliances etc etc etbloodyc. I've listed the number of cartons, plus all the other items which were packed individually, either in custom padded containers such as the TV, paintings, mirrors etc, or shrink wrapped such as the mattresses.

Hope it helps a bit.

Oh, hang on! The first figures aren't for volume, they're for floor space!
Spoiler:
Volume 944square feet

Volume 29square metres

Weight 2,315kg

60 cube removal cartons

26 lay flat removal cartons

Plus items packed individually (ie not in cartons)

2 large mirrors

Chest of drawers

Queen size bed

Queen size mattress

Bedside table

Double bed

Double mattress

Double bed

Double mattress

Linen basket

Tumble dryer

Washing machine

2 large paintings

2 clothes airers

Tool box

Upright vacuum cleaner

Large dining table

6 dining chairs

Large display cabinet

3 Large houseplants

Printer

3 large rugs

Large garden table

Four garden chairs

Stepladder

Wheelbarrow

Steamer chest

Hall table

Large wall clock

Microwave

Coffee table

Nest of tables

Standard lamp

TV cabinet

Large TV

That is a helpful list, thank you. But, house plants? Did your container have a sunroof and watering system?
Old Oct 21st 2021, 12:36 am
Concierge

spouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond reputespouse of scouse has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lion in Winter
That is a helpful list, thank you. But, house plants? Did your container have a sunroof and watering system?
Pretend plants. Border security would have chopped my head off and fed it to the pigs if I'd brought real ones.