Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Moving back or to the UK
Reload this Page >

Relocating back to UK for health reasons - marriage visa question

Relocating back to UK for health reasons - marriage visa question

Old Sep 17th 2014, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

ukthesis is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Relocating back to UK for health reasons - marriage visa question

I hope to marry and live in Moldova, outside the EU, to a local Moldovan lady. I have lived all my life before now in the UK and own my house here. However, I am a mature man and clearly as time goes past, I need more medical services. These, from experience, are not as good in Moldova as the NHS service in the UK.

This raises two questions. Firstly, I will retain my home in the UK and my UK passport. Perhaps also leave some savings in a UK bank. However, my main residence for immigration purposes would be Moldova.

I believe there was an agreement between the UK and Moldovan governments to supply some level of health care. But if I get an illness that the Moldovan system is unable to cope with, and thus I decide to temporarily return for treatment to the UK, what would be the restrictions on my accessing NHS services?

Looking further, I retire in a few years. By then I will have been married to the lady a few years. If I deem it medically necessary, I might decide to return on a permanent basis to the UK in order to get the higher quality NHS service. Are there restrictions on my doing this?

Moreover, if my wife from Moldova wants to accompany me here, presumably she will have to go through a long process of getting a marriage visa. Moreover, I would have to have some £62,500 in my bank account, I expect? This is the cause of legal dispute, since if I did not have this sum, she could not get into the UK to join me, and to also take up permanent UK residence.

Has anyone any good information on all this they can please share?

Thank you.