Reload this Page >

Regarding returning to the UK

Regarding returning to the UK

Old Apr 6th 2020, 4:42 am
Just Joined

hdimantha is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Regarding returning to the UK

Hope you are well and safe,

I have posted similar case before but now the situation has changed.

I'm just verifying some information regarding returning to the UK and my continuous residency in there.

Briefly, I'm outside the UK (Sri Lanka) now. I've granted pre-settlement status in 2019 and I should be returned to the UK within 6 months (180 days) to maintain the continuous residency so that i can apply for settled status in 2024. It will be 6 months to middle of this month (April).

With this pandemic situation, the Sri Lankan Gov. has put the curfew to control it and i cannot leave the house. Even if i could sneak out and go, finding transportation is impossible. And i also don’t want to go there as it is unsafe to travel and much worse the situation in the UK than in Sri Lanka.

Some say it's ok to stay for more than 6 months if you have a good reason. I have checked it myself and the law says, “Continuity of residence for that purpose is not broken by a temporary absence or absences from the UK of up to six months in any 12-month period; or by a single absence of up to 12 consecutive months for an important reason”.

Would this reason be considered as a valid one? If so, How do i tell them and how to check the residence information such as duration and whether the continuity is broken or not?

And if i can stay extended amount of time, how long can i stay and what are the conditions that i need to know in future travels outside the UK?

I cannot find any official statements or updates regarding this on any UK Gov sites.

Please help and need advice.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 1:01 pm
Forum Regular

Holdenapple is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Regarding returning to the UK

Try the Coronavirus Immigration Helpline.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...y-uk-residents

Hope it helps.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 1:37 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

A Covid-19 lockdown will almost certainly be considered to be a valid reason for a single absence of up to 12 months.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 3:22 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Holdenapple
Try the Coronavirus Immigration Helpline.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/coronavi...y-uk-residents

Hope it helps.
Thanks. I have tried the email and they replied back with the information that they have already provided on the settlement scheme page of the Gov UK site. That was quite useless for my question. So I replied back again insisting relevant answer for that but I didn't receive anything yet.
Old Apr 7th 2020, 3:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
A Covid-19 lockdown will almost certainly be considered to be a valid reason for a single absence of up to 12 months.
I only have 2 weeks before it completes 6 months' time outside the UK and what should I do? Should I stay and go there after this gets back to normal and then tell it to relevant authority? Could you give me any advice on that?

Also, let's say I took a single absence of up to 12 months and stayed here in Sri Lanka at that time. Can I visit my family again in the future by using the absence of up to six months in any 12-month period?

Thanks.
Old Apr 8th 2020, 11:36 pm

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hdimantha
I only have 2 weeks before it completes 6 months' time outside the UK and what should I do? Should I stay and go there after this gets back to normal and then tell it to relevant authority? Could you give me any advice on that?

Also, let's say I took a single absence of up to 12 months and stayed here in Sri Lanka at that time. Can I visit my family again in the future by using the absence of up to six months in any 12-month period?

Thanks.
You just need to ensure you return to the UK before you have been absent for 12 months. You can spend up to two years outside the UK with pre-settled status and still return but you’ll reset your clock to settled status.

Once you do return you should stay put for at least six months before leaving again.
Old Apr 9th 2020, 6:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by BritInParis
You just need to ensure you return to the UK before you have been absent for 12 months. You can spend up to two years outside the UK with pre-settled status and still return but you’ll reset your clock to settled status.

Once you do return you should stay put for at least six months before leaving again.
Thank you for your reply.

I hope It will not break the continuity of my residency.

Much appreciated the help!